CMC file format & IO

pakfront_37

Very excited by the prospect of CMC. I had attempted to write a (simpler) MP campaign program for CMBO many years ago but gave up in frustration. I was stumped by the inability to read the map, scenario and save game file formats, which meant OOBs and maps had to be input by hand and AAR had to extracted by hand. Mind numbing.

When Mapping mission came out, I had another go - Mapping Mission did it's work well but OOBs and AARs were still brutal. So, again, I gave up.

While I'm sure that the map making tools and OOB tools in CMC will be good, please don't forget those of us who like to do a little tinkering on our own. Even if the file format is closed (which is understandable to prevent cheating) please considering having a reasonable way to input and output data. XML or CSV would be fine for OOBs & AARs and even maps.

This will allow motivated people to use current tools such as Excel or even write their own tools to help make the CMC experience even better.

Interested in your thoughts on this topic.

[ November 07, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: pakfront_37 ]