Map Depot

76mm

Sounds like the main challenge to setting up your own campaign would be creating the necessary (good) CMBB maps.

I think it would be a good idea to set up a "Map Depot" website where people could post and share with other players the 2x2km maps that they've created. While you will always have to create some maps yourself, it would be great not to have to reinvent the wheel for every square meter in a campaign.

Ideally, we could come up with some kind of "isomorphic" map convention (similar to Squad Leader maps) in which roads, rivers, etc. would exit the maps at specific points, so that it would be easier to mix and match maps created by various people.

I may be able to host such a site, although I may need help getting it set up.

What do you all think?

Even better if I don't have to host it. I do, however, think that it's important that everyone who posts maps there agrees to free use by anyone, to avoid the pain of figuring out whose maps you've got, getting their consent, etc. Free the maps!

Would they really used the 2x2km maps? I thought a battlefield would consist of four squares of CMC terrain. So a SE quarter of the map in one battle would be a NW quarter in another which would foist conventional map making.

It will be interesting to see how they implemented map making. I just figured it would be randomly generated terrain based on map parameters given by the CMC engine. I now realize that I made an ass out of you and me.

Elmar, I'm pretty sure that you need to create the underlying maps yourself--they are not autogenerated by CMC. I thought I read somewhere, though, that the 2x2 maps are divided into 4 1x1 maps--not really sure how it works yet.

Q: On the Operational Isometric 3D map, I see that it is made up of terrain squares. What's the size of one of those terrain squares?

A: The smallest terrain tile shown represents an area approximately 1km by 1km in size. Battlefields are made up of 4 of these small tiles, thus giving a 2k x 2k battlefield in CMBB.

Yeah, CMC quite possibly will have 1x1 premade maps which CMC will make into a 2x2 foe CMBB. That is a LOT better then having map made for all possible variations of 2x2 maps, that would have been a nightmare.

Still... gonna be tricky lining up the terrain features of every 1x1 map with the terrain features of the 1x1 maps next to it. I would love to hear for from the horses mouth on this because if we need to hand make all the CMBB side maps then making operations of a good size will an undertaking of epic proportions.

But if the game was supposed to combine four CMBB 1x1 maps into a 2x2 map when battle started, why would there be a 2x2 grid? Yes, the CMC map itself consists of 1x1sq.km tiles (and those are what the CMC game itself uses for its calculations) - but tactical CMBB battles are fought according to the displayed grid, I think.

Originally posted by Sergei:

But if the game was supposed to combine four CMBB 1x1 maps into a 2x2 map when battle started, why would there be a 2x2 grid? Yes, the CMC map itself consists of 1x1sq.km tiles (and those are what the CMC game itself uses for its calculations) - but tactical CMBB battles are fought according to the displayed grid, I think.

I do too.