CMC will run on MS systems and a Mac version is being considered for the future

Wicky

Well, here's what Bruce said about Mac compatibility last time I asked:

The entire game is written in Python and wXwindows, using products which are intended to run multi-platform. It SHOULD be really easy to port it to a Macintosh, and make it run.

We just don't want to promise now what we can't deliver in case we'd run into any issues later on, so until we can test it properly on a Mac platform, the quote you used as the title for this thread stands.

Martin

Will CMC be ported for OSX or OS9 or will it hopefully be 'Carbonized' to be able to run in both for ease of use?

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

The entire game is written in Python and wXwindows, using products which are intended to run multi-platform. It SHOULD be really easy to port it to a Macintosh, and make it run.

We just don't want to promise now what we can't deliver in case we'd run into any issues later on, so until we can test it properly on a Mac platform, the quote you used as the title for this thread stands.

Martin </font>

Sigh...I know some of the reasons for the lack of OS X version.....still...it would have made my computing life so much easier with out me continually moving over to the old OS 9 system on a 6 year old computer which is alive solely for CMBO and CMBB.

Such are the vagries of being a Mac user.

Although, now that I think about it, assuming Hunting Tank Software does make a Mac version, its possible that it could still work in OS-X since I doubt they would use the Classic Rave extensions like CM does. You wouldn't be able to use CMBB to play out the battles yourself (on OS-X) but you could still either autoresolve them or use the Mac system to "Host" various on-going campaigns.

All just conjecture at this point of course.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Although, now that I think about it, assuming Hunting Tank Software does make a Mac version, its possible that it could still work in OS-X since I doubt they would use the Classic Rave extensions like CM does. You wouldn't be able to use CMBB to play out the battles yourself (on OS-X) but you could still either autoresolve them or use the Mac system to "Host" various on-going campaigns.

Madmatt

Seems to depend on how CMC and CMBB talk. Are there 'output' and 'input' files that each application can read?

It would be possible if files are around to manage them despite rebooting between X and 9 - inconvenient but possible ???

That's why I mentioned Carbonized apps which are capable of running in both OS9 and OSX

register me as JUST another disappointed Mac gamer!

And about CM:SF may I just say they have not commited to releasing that on the Mac simultaneously with the PC release.

Did someone already say "Jumped the Shark"??

I would suggest the BFC glory days of the simultaneous MAC/PC release of truly great wargames is over.

AND and....

supposedly its all Apple's fault. (with their new upcoming intel processors and the questions around how that will all turn out)

-tom w

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Again, since Python with wXwindows is not available for OS9, a OS9 CMC version is technically out.

Oh, blimey, would that mean that there won't be Mac version at all? I feel like robbed after reading first page threads only to find this one...

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Martin </font>

Originally posted by edgars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

Again, since Python with wXwindows is not available for OS9, a OS9 CMC version is technically out.

Oh, blimey, would that mean that there won't be Mac version at all? I feel like robbed after reading first page threads only to find this one... </font>

It seems that you can use the Campaign system on its own. And you probably don't have to use the automatic functionality to call CMBB, you can probably save the files you need. My understanding is that this can be used to send files from one master machine to multiple tactical player couples who resolve the battles.

So you could run the Campaign system on your Linux box, write the files to a samba drive and fire up your Windows PC when you want to resolve a battle manually.

BTW, CMBB works under WineX for a while now.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Madmatt

Seems to depend on how CMC and CMBB talk. Are there 'output' and 'input' files that each application can read?

It would be possible if files are around to manage them despite rebooting between X and 9 - inconvenient but possible ???

That's why I mentioned Carbonized apps which are capable of running in both OS9 and OSX

It would be great if what Wicky says could be possible : it would be a way to be able to play CMC and CMBB on the same OS9 and OSX complieant mac

Otherwise we woul need 2 macs :

one running OSX for CMC, one running CMBB on OS9, both connected via network game.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

I just googled Python with wXwindows and Mac OS 9 and it seems like there is a version of those utilities for OS 9. What I found showed a OS 9 version of wXwidgets (which I got the impression that this is the new name for wXwindows) called wxMac (version 2.6.2 I think). I also found there are Mac OS 9 versions of Python as well.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about Python or wXwindows (wXwidgets) and if the Mac OS 9 versions are so out of date that they may not be applicable. However, based on what I found using Google, I don't know if it's certain that there can't be a Mac version of CMC. I really hope it's possible because CMC looks very interesting. I'd love to be able to play it on my Mac.

I think what we really need is for Hunter to let us know if it's possible to make a Mac version of CMC that will drive CMBB just like the Windows version. He doesn't have to commit to it just now, but I would imagine that he has at least looked into if it is even possible.

[ October 17, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Cronick ]

• 2 months later...