AWESOME

76mm

I have several questions:

--what is the maximum operational map size?

--how are units created during the operational game; how are replacements & reinforcements handled?

--Leader improvement--do leader attributes improve during the campaign as well (ie, command, stealth, etc.)?

--In player-designed campaigns, can players choose particular maps for use in the CMBB battle underlying an operational-level battle?

--Can CMBB battle maps be bigger than 2kmx2km?

--Can games be modified via text files, data import/export, etc.?

Didn't see any of these issues addressed in the site; sorry if I overlooked something.

Horses, bicycles and motorcycles do not appear in the CMBB battles, but are still simulated as a means of transport in CMC itself. So you could have a recon platoon on motorcycles able to zoom across km after km of the strategic map, and once it comes into a battle, it would be represented by the appropriate type of infantry units in CMBB.

Martin

Originally posted by Denwad:

ok wait a second, you ferry around troops, but does it revert to what we see in CMBB right now when two enemy units meet?

Let's see if maybe I can give a rough sample of gameplay... you open up CMC and see an isometric strategic map. Looks a bit like the upcoming Strategic Command 2, really. Units are usually bigger formation like Companies or Battalions, and you move them around a map consisting of 2km by 2km "tiles" (which, for game purposes like LOS, command etc. are actually broken down into 1km by 1km quadrants). Gameplay is "We Go" using 60 *MINUTE* turns.

When enemy units "meet", a CMBB battle is generated automatically. All the correct units (strength, morale etc.) are deployed automatically on a large 2km by 2km CMBB map in the correct positions.

You play out the CMBB battle as usual, and the results are imported back into CMC...

Make no mistake... even with CMC, large campaigns can take a very long time to play out. That's why anything about Divisional level is probably out of question to simulate... but then, *somebody* made To The Volga!, too... smile.gif

Martin

They have to be pre-made by the campaign designer and are NOT generated on the fly. Therefore yes - there are bridges and strategic choke points, as built in by the campaign designer.

This also means that creating campaigns can be a lot of work, but playing them is a lot of fun smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Denwad:

ok wait a second, you ferry around troops, but does it revert to what we see in CMBB right now when two enemy units meet?

Let's see if maybe I can give a rough sample of gameplay... you open up CMC and see an isometric strategic map. Looks a bit like the upcoming Strategic Command 2, really. Units are usually bigger formation like Companies or Battalions, and you move them around a map consisting of 2km by 2km "tiles" (which, for game purposes like LOS, command etc. are actually broken down into 1km by 1km quadrants). Gameplay is "We Go" using 60 *MINUTE* turns.

When enemy units "meet", a CMBB battle is generated automatically. All the correct units (strength, morale etc.) are deployed automatically on a large 2km by 2km CMBB map in the correct positions.

You play out the CMBB battle as usual, and the results are imported back into CMC...

Make no mistake... even with CMC, large campaigns can take a very long time to play out. That's why anything about Divisional level is probably out of question to simulate... but then, *somebody* made To The Volga!, too... smile.gif

Martin </font>

Bruce will have to comment on this one, sorry. Hopefully he'll be around shortly.

All the pre-made campaigns that come with the game will have all the maps in place already of course, but for your own campaigns, yup, a pain in the... especially for the bigger campaigns where you'd want to cover hundreds of sqkm.

Martin

Tom, I am not sure. Bruce will have to answer that one, too. Looking at the current beta of the map editor, it allows me to make humongonormous maps of thousands of sqkm. But if that will be practicable to play is very much questionable.

CMC comes with a function to auto-play battles that you don't want to do in CMBB, so that will certainly help in resolving even bigger campaigns. But I guess we'll just have to see what makes sense to play at maximum level.

One limiting factor could be all the comms and LOS etc. calculations that CMC is doing.

Where's Bruce when you need him? smile.gif

Martin

Well, this should definitely keep us East Front fans busy for quite a while, so thank you much.

But this doesn't totally let you guys off the hook for coming out with an East Front game for CMx2 at some point (for God's sake, at least before a game with elves and trolls)!

This is very exciting news indeed! Besides HPS's Moscow 41 game this is the best gaming news I have heard all year.

I look forward to hearing more details about this. It sounds like a great combination of Strategic Command and CMBB. If it works like Total War then I am a buyer.

v. Nev