Hi there

Hunter

anyone else think there's some similarity between id software and battlefront?

both companies came out with ground breaking products - id basically invented FPS w/ Doom/Quake and BF created 3d wargaming

both companies through subsequent releases put out refinements to the original product that were evolutionary rather than revolutionary - and in each case well received

this evolved into an engine development phase, for lack of a better term - and in each case the respective companies sort of stopped making games and started outsourcing to 3rd parties for this part of their business

and this last part is what concerns me, because product focus is spread out - it seems like it's much easier for the respective companies and the consumer of their products to lose sight of what the next big thing is - while i can see the attraction of this model from the companies side because it spreads your bets ands scales your business (don't have to carry the heads) i think from my side of the coin as the consumer, i'm being presented w/ so many choices that it's hard not to think they're delayed because of a lack of focus on one in particular - which could lead to a distracted and less clear marketing campaign on all of them, what after does id or BF stand for now in the mind of the avg customer? in the past one stood for all things FPS and the other 3D WW2 games of surpassing accuracy - now, both really have become engine houses, distributors, licensing businesses, and not necessarily viewed any longer as makers of games

just thinking out loud about two companies that look a lot a like to me in thier various phases of developement, and the possible hazards to their seemingly similiar business trajectories

p.s. i guess you'd be wondering why i posted this hear, it's because CMC to me is a text book example of how this new model can, and perhaps already has, lead BF down a blind alley, product windows are narrow, this one imho has passed, and the efforts put into it could of been allocated elsewhere to achieve that product going gold sooner

but in deference to BF, i realize all choices are trade offs, you place your bets, some pay of and some don't, i'm just musing over similarities between two great gaming companies and where their paths have led them

[ January 13, 2007, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Perhaps it’s because people are used to Steve, Charles or Matt popping in now and then and giving updates, even if that update is a “Things are progressing” update.

I think what most are looking for is a bone.

Asking for a release date is futile though.

The mantra at BF is “When it’s done.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by RobDesko:

Hey all,

My name is Rob and I've been helping to work on CMC for a while now. I understand the need to know what's going on but we've been pretty busy working on the game itself and trying to get it out. As far as I know, we're getting close to a release date, a new BETA has come out for the testers, so we'll see what they have to say, first.

If people have somewhat lost interest, my hope is that by providing something of quality we will get more people re-interested then by providing quantity.

If anyone has nay questions about the development etc. please feel free to ask.

Rob

Hey Rob, any "new" news ;) Thanks.

Originally posted by easytarget:

anyone else think there's some similarity between id software and battlefront?

both companies came out with ground breaking products - id basically invented FPS w/ Doom/Quake and BF created 3d wargaming

Battlefront did NOT invent 3D wargaming. digi4fun put Muzzle Velocity on the market before Combat Mission. It was an inferior game, very much a RT based game, and FP to boot, and very simplistic, but definitely beat Combat Mission to the punch as far as "serious" tactical 3D, as it combined a map-based interface with its 3D world.

M-1 Tank Platoon predated both as I recall, though the graphics were vector based. Accolade also had an M-1 tank sim at about the same time, which was also predating Combat Mission.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by RobDesko:

Hey all,

My name is Rob and I've been helping to work on CMC for a while now. I understand the need to know what's going on but we've been pretty busy working on the game itself and trying to get it out. As far as I know, we're getting close to a release date, a new BETA has come out for the testers, so we'll see what they have to say, first.

If people have somewhat lost interest, my hope is that by providing something of quality we will get more people re-interested then by providing quantity.

If anyone has nay questions about the development etc. please feel free to ask.

Rob

This was posted in November 2006. 11 months ago. There's reason to hope that release might be any day now.

Would BFC not tell us if they have scrapped CMC? Have they ever kept us waiting on something good, left us completely in the dark, and then failed to deliver AND not say anything about it? :confused:

I'm still optimistic in spite of the VERY long wait. smile.gif CMx1 still rules (CMAK-CMBB) and they know there's a LOT of us guys who still love and play it. I can wait a little longer, but a little information from the programmers would be nice. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

since i've no issue with resurrecting anything, including dead posts, i'll comment on your comment

your following a resurrection posting with one of your own complaining about it is like your brother complaining at the dinner table you've got your eyes open while your dad says grace

no doubt the point and the irony will be lost on you, why else would you make such a post ;)