how limited choices in equipment?

i saw a dream of playing CMx2 last night. smile.gifredface.gif

i was playing a "TCP/IP" game (took place near Caen, BTW) and i was chatting with my opponent. we both loved all the new tactical details and dimensions that CMx2 had brought, the mind blowing immersion of being there and the historical accuracy of it all, the greatness of the campaign system, but we both felt a bit crippled by the limited arsenal in our hands.

while we enjoyed all the new tactical aspects now available to us, and the realistic historical feel to it, there was a feeling that we were forced to repeat battles with same kind of gear. we were talking about how it was great in CM:BB that we could have different battles ranging from 1941 tin can battles to 1945 royal catfights. not historically accurate battles, but fun battles. more "i wonder what if" than "OMG, this is just like it must have been".

i really like the idea of having more detailed, and thus also limited, modules for CMx2, but the dream made me wonder how limited the modules will be in scope.

will we be limited to the equipment that was available for certain handful of divisions during certain couple of months?

how much of simple brainless "what if" fun will we be losing to get all the detailed historical accuracy?

BFC, please make me sleep well and tell it ain't so smile.gif

The whole point of going with more narrow subject matter is to reduce our workload, thus reducing development time, thus increasing overall game variety. So if you are put in command of a historical unit which did not fight against certain enemy forces... no, you won't find them in that particular game. Period. To put it into Normandy context, if you're fighting as part of a US division in July and August of 1944 you are not going to experience anything that specific division wouldn't have experienced. That means no King Tigers, no winter effects, no odd one off vehicles that only the Commonwealth ran into, etc. For that sort of thing perhaps a Module will be released that covers that stuff.

While we understand this is not what some people want, there is no other way around this problem. In order to get more games with more atmosphere and innovatoin, all in a shorter period of time, something has to go. And after 9 years of doing this we have realized that the one thing that must go is the "broad stroke" subject matter. We simply can not support it any longer, so it is officially a thing of the past.

Steve

thanks for the answer Steve! i totally understand what you are saying and i agree with you. it's the way to go.

if there won't be that much of "what if" in there, i trust it's still going to be extreme fun.

it's not the heavy stuff i miss, but rather the lighties. for some reason i like the light tin cans (with lot's of infantry) a lot. so i hope one of the first releases deals with early war battles. smile.gif

i guess it'll be more like a clash between two divisions than entire armies, Other Means.

Steve, in a "bone" back a while ago I recall you mention something to the effect that after a few of the newer smaller scale CMx2 release there might (would?) be a grouping of the smaller stuff. I assumed something to effect of; D-Day packet #1, Caen #2, Breakout and pursuit #3, and then put together into a Normandy battle pack or somefink... Is that recollection and assumption correct? (absent the specific 1, 2, 3 titles) If so, is that idea still the way you are thinking of going?

I fully agree with BFC Historical accuracy over unrealistic "what ifs" which still means that there are still plenty of realistic non-ahistorical (in theory) "what ifs" that can be arranged. However it would help if the historical scope was widened enough to include the earlier tin can stuff as well to be sure of veriety. smile.gif

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dirtweasle, if you mean that we plan on allowing the Modules to be combined on the player's end, so you can pick between all the stuff without having to load individual modules... yes, that is the plan.

Steve

[Vader voice]

Impressive...

Most impressive.

[/Vader voice]

-dale