Battle video

kawaiku

After watching a video made by some one else about the Escoville Triangle in which he showed every turn, I thought it would be cool to have a feature where after the battle you could watch the whole battle without pause. It would be nice to see what you did wrong instead of going over it in your head trying to picture you mistake and also to see how your opponent reacted to your moves. And it would make AARs easier to do/watch/see.

Actually from the point of view of movies, It might just be possible or even easier to achieve the same thing another way.

If you added a "record" button to the play back they you could save "scenes" as you go, and that way, make your "movie" afterwards.

If you lacked "footage", you could always sart a "QB" afterwards and use it to fake scenes for Close ups etc, Like the Close shot of the FACV, saying "here come the A-1O'S".

If we have multiplayer with relative spotting then you could exchange sitched together moviesw from the other guys perspective, which would let you compile the final "movie" from a series of perspectives.

I know there are people using things like the Doom engine to make movies, so this would be a bit like that, allowing people to do something different with the game, like making there own versions of "BHD".

As I use iMovie, if it could be saved as "Clips" with a single sound tarck, I could just put additional " Dialogue" on a second track to create a narrative that people could follow.

I see this as being a whole different genire if you like.

Peter.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

I see we are getting REALLY desperate for ANYTHING to discuss, seeing this 5 year old topic coming back..

Actually this whole topic is my first post here. I did it after watching the video I mentioned for the 10th time(I only have CMAK and am keeping an eye out for the others)so I came registered and posted the idea..didnt know it was 5 yrs. old!?

The issue for me, and I think this is where there is a "New" element to an old topic, is what you will be able to do with any "saved" video, and whether it will be just a replay like other games, or will you be able to do other things with it.

Given that podcasting, multimedia and home digital movies are big and growing, making any system compatable with these would seem to me to open up new avenues that would make the game more attractive.

Peter.

Well, that AAR section for Strategy Zone Online has been kind of the home for these movies. The one that Kwaiku showed you was supposed to be the first of many, but as you can see, I was unable to find time to continue the AAR. No reason I couldn't pick it up later, since I still have the games saved.

I'll pass you the two others I did. This one was my first attempt, and the file is enormous and not of the best resolution. Still, you get a play by play of an entire battle in one sitting.

http://www.on-safari.net/rob/airMephCMBO.wmv

The second one is my favorite. In a CMBO scenario called 'Jort', I titled this one, Hide of the Tiger:

http://www.on-safari.net/rob/CMBOjort1_0001.wmv

I apologize for the download being slow. The server is only on DSL after all.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I think Steve said there would be an imbedded CNN camerman with the US forces and we will be able to rewatch the battle from his perspective.

So there will be this huge battle going on between Syrian and US forces, and we will get repeated shots of the same two Syrian soldiers carrying AKs, all taken from different perspectives and with the same two guys alternately changing their clothes, and changing the color of their bandanas, demonstrating that the Syrians control the area. That will be followed by file footage of Abu Gharaib and then file footage from Al Jazeera. Great!

• 8 months later...

So has BFC told us yet whether Full Movie Playback is in for Shock Force? (Yes, I have tried searching and my apologies to the search grogs if this has already been answered, but while I did find a number of threads asking about this feature, I didn't see where BFC had issued the "word from the mountain top" one way or the other.) ;)

Well I‘ve used Snapz Pro to record QT movies of turns for a while now (the PB is running 9.2.2 which is coming up on 5 years old) but a turn recorded this way in high quality has the following drawbacks:

1. Sound doesn’t get recorded.

2. It’s 152Mb in size and that just a straight play through at view 5 (no replays or zooming in - just sitting at the one view for 60 seconds). So a 20 turn game turns into 20 x 152 which is a bit beyond an email attachment. ;)

I‘ve been meaning to compare the end file sizes of the various settings for a while now and I’ll get onto it this weekend.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Well I‘ve used Snapz Pro to record QT movies of turns for a while now (the PB is running 9.2.2 which is coming up on 5 years old) but a turn recorded this way in high quality has the following drawbacks:

Thanks gibsonm, but I'm wondering/hoping that CMx2 is going to internally store the data so we can playback the entire battle if we want. If I recall correctly, I think the game Myth had that capability uqite a few years back. (and I believe that Histwar; Les Grognards which BFC will be publishing sometime soon will also have this feature). With CM you could view individual turn files by reloading the PBEM movie files(although only from one side's perspective), but I'm hoping that the new game might permit us to view back the whole game, whether played PBEM, Solo, or otherwise.