WW2..?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEDGE ROWS ARE coming to CMx2!!!!
Remember this is a general discussion about what the engine is capable of. I've mentioned Space Lobsters and horse cavalry too. That doesn't mean that they will be in the first 10 games... just means the engine can support it if we should so choose. So just because I mentioned hedgerows doesn't mean anything. Now, if I said "they are already coded and working great" then you could make some assumptions :D

But also, you want to sell the game to that people...so you might want to comply with what their wishes.
Yeah, but nobody can agree on anything :D Take a look at the three CMx1 offerings. All WWII, right? Well, how many people here have sounded off about not having any interest in the Eastern Front or the Med Theater? More than I can count. So let's not forget that there is no single group to cater to.

Anything else than WWII would be a quite failure.
Hehe... well, if we followed "in the box" thinking like this we would never have made CM to begin with. I can say for sure that quite a few of the game ideas we are planning on introducing over the years are not WWII based. Variety is the spice of life! Plus, there are plenty of people that think WWII is boring. Obviously we all disagree, but that doesn't change the other people's minds any.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Plus, there are plenty of people that think WWII is boring. Obviously we all disagree, but that doesn't change the other people's minds any.

Steve

As one of the leading advocates of a non-WWII CMX2 game (for the first title) I'd like to offer this - I think nearly everyone likes WWII. I certainly think it's incredibly interesting subject matter.

My concern is that it's been overdone in today's gaming environment. We've got every other title under the sun is WWII based now. We've got CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK, all of which I still play.

I'm asking... begging... for a breath of fresh air. Korea (modern or '50s), Cold War, Modern, Near Future... anything... just please... no more Bastogne.

Say it with me, everyone! NO MORE BASTOGNE! NO MORE BASTOGNE!

At least for the first game. smile.gif

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Plus, there are plenty of people that think WWII is boring. Obviously we all disagree, but that doesn't change the other people's minds any.

Steve

As one of the leading advocates of a non-WWII CMX2 game (for the first title) I'd like to offer this - I think nearly everyone likes WWII. I certainly think it's incredibly interesting subject matter.

My concern is that it's been overdone in today's gaming environment. We've got every other title under the sun is WWII based now. We've got CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK, all of which I still play.

I'm asking... begging... for a breath of fresh air. Korea (modern or '50s), Cold War, Modern, Near Future... anything... just please... no more Bastogne.

Say it with me, everyone! NO MORE BASTOGNE! NO MORE BASTOGNE!

At least for the first game. smile.gif </font>

My best bets, in order of release, are two games, just for starters (didn't they say that somewhere?):

1. Normandy

2. Korea

Why?

a) Normandy makes a guaranteed buck, and is the most popular choice, and updates CMBO, which is a pretty out-of-date game these days (remember the heroes who could run all day without getting tired?)

B) Korea announces to all and sundry "we're not just a WWII game company" but also doesn't need a huge change in equipment or men, so is not so hard to develop. It'll probably sell, too.

Space Lobsters need long, slow cooking in the pot before they're ready. That screaming noise you hear coming from the pot is just air escaping.

Originally posted by Tero:

Hürtgenwald.

Heroic US vs evil Nazis. Outcome almost a tie. Terrain challenging.

Almost like Winter War (the Finland 1939 option), only with sexier and sellable opponents.

pfft - midgets vs. pygmies would be sexier and more saleable than Finns.

Originally posted by JonS:

That's not true, Jon. My understanding is that many young Finns are sold on street-corners every day.

Mind you, it's a specialty market.

According to my sources, it's mainly older English and German men with erectile dysfunction, who primarily want 'someone to talk to', and who are willing to actually pay money to listen for hours to stories about who's Grandfather killed how many Russians with what minimal equipment.

It's all rather sad and demeaning, actually. Europe is still so badly scarred by that war...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

That's not true, Jon. My understanding is that many young Finns are sold on street-corners every day.

Mind you, it's a specialty market.

According to my sources, it's mainly older English and German men with erectile dysfunction, who primarily want 'someone to talk to', and who are willing to actually pay money to listen for hours to stories about who's Grandfather killed how many Russians with what minimal equipment.

You would not believe the number of reclamations, returns and law suits because the customers do not know they have to listen to the yarns in Finnish sitting butt naked in a 100-120°C sauna while whipping themselves with birch branches and consuming a minimum of 1 liter of vodka or other booze.

Here is footage of how it is supposed to be done.

http://www.plugi.fi/paasivu/perkele11.avi

It's all rather sad and demeaning, actually. Europe is still so badly scarred by that war...

The war has nothing to do with it, actually. It is just that the central Europeans have forgotten how not to be politically correct.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

</font>

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by von Churov:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

it is interesting to see people only picking out the things they want to see. People are sooooo funny that way :D

Steve

Might be!

But also, you want to sell the game to that people...so you might want to comply with what their wishes.

This is a sort of market research for you...

...and the results are quite clear.

Anything else than WWII would be a quite failure.

</font>

More evidence, from the little Polygons thread...

"Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dan just made a wheeled vehicle that has more polies in one wheel than was in a CMBO tank

Steve "

Oh yeah, so they compared Dan's work on a CMX2 tank with the exact same tank in CMBO did they? Why make that comparison?

The evidence mounts. Crossword puzzles with the answers being "juno, sword etc" appear in the Times, making the organisers jittery. The evidence mounts, pointing towards an invasion on the French coast, methinks.