WW2..?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be WW2 West Front 1944, with a start point June 1 and end point I don't know, it could be August and it could be November.

As I have said before, the thing driving the decision is cool tanks, as that in the final analysis is what sells a game like this. The coolest tank in history is Tiger I, the second is Panther, and the best-known opponents of those two vehicles are Sherman.

The West Front sells, Shermans whacked by ueber-armor sells. If BFI wants to make maximum money, they redo at least Americans vs. Germans in Normandy as the minimum, rake in the income, and then everything else is add-ons for an extra helpings of cash from the Commonwealth and East Front crowd that got ignored the first time around.

I really don't see why there needs to be all this mystery, frankly. Steve is saying we are being funny by reading our desires into the result, well, Normandy ain't my top desire, not even close.

Heck, I would almost prefer a chance at commanding Red Chinese hordes pouring across the Yalu, over another rendition of hedgegrows and ueber-panzers.

But it ain't my decision. If you were a game design company with your flagship product the world's best armored task force combat simulator, and it was set in WW2, what's the best framework for a sequel?

Korea? The Roman Empire? Spanish Tercios?

Or Battleground, Kelly's Heroes, and Private Ryan?

I think they made the CM2 game engine to make 6-8 games. I don't think the first one released will be ww2. They did state somewhere in these posts games 1 and 2 off the new engine.

I am guess we will get a modern or near future conflict first. Then very soon after a ww2 western front. 6-8 months eastern front, 6 months far future, 6 months ancient, 6 months lobster. I think they made this engine to last a very long time over 6+ games. That is why the specs will be pretty high so it can last 5 years or so and still look good. Just my 2cents

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Remember that my comments about stuff are always directed at discussion what the game engine is capable of, not necessarily what is going to be in the first release. I've mentioned everything from horse cavalry to Space Lobsters... that's quite a range and it is interesting to see people only picking out the things they want to see. People are sooooo funny that way :D

Steve

If you read through the lines and squint a lot, you will see he just confirmed the first game will be set in NW Europe 1944-45. :D

Yeah I could definately see the first release being something like the "Road To St. Lo" or something along those lines (would be a good demonstation of the layered terrain). I would think that the second release might be a something like a "Stalingrad" module. Lets face it, the reason there are so many WWII games being marketed is that WWII still "sells" more than any other conflict in history.

If they did do Korea I think it would also be on small scale, not something that includes all the nations. "Chosin" or some other battleground.

I've said it before, the safest move would be the first GAME to be Western Europe, the second GAME to be the Eastern Front, with follow-up MODULES for both. Given the time invested in development I can't see BFC taking risks, at least with the first releases.
I wonder, is there any significance in the fact that Battlefront have repeated talked about "the first two games" being announced soon, not just one. This would fit in with Sirocco's theory of a Western Front game followed by an Eastern Front game.

Originally posted by Nelson 1812:

A working weekend here.. so to keep it brief,

POLAND 1940

Because it was the official start of World War Two, and it had horses...

and possiable lobsters

:confused: What occupational duty. I'm sure you mean 1939.

Speculation will run rampant for a few more weeks. I don't really have a problem with the "downsizing" of the scope and unit size in these initial releases, especially if they are in a WWII context. A whole battle on a 1:1 infantry man scale for a city block in Stalingrad or Berlin, or for a couple of fields and orchards in France or the Ardennes could be pretty cool!( is this not the average unit scale for almost all of the most popular WWII movies and TV shows)

But with the downsizing of the maximum size battleground to the level of a "tiny" or three quarter size "small" battle in CM1 terms I don't understand how earlier periods would play out. With about a 100 units or so per side and guessing that cavalry units would count as 2 units (rider and horse like a vehicle and it's passengers) don't really see what kind of engagements would be feasible for Napoleon, American civil war, Crimean war, Roman or medieval times, etc. Foraging party? scouting behind enemy lines? local raid on a small town? secret shopping outing? Road trip to Daytona beach?

Would think you would want at the barest minimum a battalion size unit to portray these time periods. Of course down the line as hardware improves this would be more feasible and all would be right with the world. :D

[ August 27, 2005, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Emar ]

Emar,

If you think in terms of a table top miniatures wargame, the CMx2 engine could just be the code that renders the terrain and figures, with lots of "hooks" into it that can be accessed by other more genre-specific code. If that is the case, 1 figure might represent 1 man in one game using the engine, or 100 in another. I'm pretty sure the word "engine" in the computer games industry refers more to the rendering software than the actual game.

You guys are too much :D So very few of you have even considered the fact that WWII might not be the first game or that it might not even be the second or third. I'm not saying that is the case, but nothing I have ever said has "hinted" at the sorts of things you guys are talking about here. I've been purposefully vague and therefore trying to read the tea leaves of someone who drinks beer is rather futile :D

Steve

You guys are too much :D So very few of you have even considered the fact that WWII might not be the first game or that it might not even be the second or third. I'm not saying that is the case, but nothing I have ever said has "hinted" at the sorts of things you guys are talking about here. I've been purposefully vague and therefore trying to read the tea leaves of someone who drinks beer is rather futile :D

Steve

Well, that settles it. The first title for CMx2 will be Road Rage: Weasels Run Amok.

I'm looking for:

Chess: The Pawns Take Over IV

Soccer Moms: SUV Rage

Of the two, one will be semi-modern American war (WWII, Korea), and the other will be Ancient Rome/Greece if the size of the battlefield isn't too big. Both have sold big recently, and have the ability to do so again. Plus the research is already done/easily accessable.

But lastly, my favorite title,

SARS v. Bird Flu: The Assault on Human Kind

If it's not WWII, I will eat my hat.

And if it's not fairly "mainstream"/major allies-centric WWII at that (read: not Finland '39 nor Balkins '41 nor certainly anything not European theatre, for known reasons), I will further eat my socks.

No offense whatsoever intended to non-Yanks, Brits, etc. I'm just considering market factors here. Well, and my own wishes, of course ;)

I just can't imagine they would launch CMx2 with something like "Combat Mission 2: Tito's Troublemakers", or a less epic conflict like Korea or Vietnam.

Later modules, hey, all bets are off.

I could be wrong, but I sure hope not.

[ August 27, 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Cull ]

I think the first game will be "Tax Audit: The CPAs Are Going Over the Numbers and They Have Yours".

This will be followed shortly by a series of sequels "Tax Audit 2: Trying to Cut a Deal"; "Tax Audit 3: Finding a Lawyer"; and "Tax Audit 4: Interesting Things to Talk About While Doing 5-10 in the Federal Pen".

Michael

This sounds GOOD to me

ETO???

First game out the door (or some smaller sub section of ETO post D-day)

:D

Did anyone else catch this?

HEDGE ROWS ARE coming to CMx2!!!!

Beyond that I can't comment because we have not coded hedgerows or hedges yet. I expect that they can be damaged, along with walls and other forms of terrain.

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted August 27, 2005 01:12 AM

Terrain is deformable. Beyond that I can't comment because we have not coded hedgerows or hedges yet. I expect that they can be damaged, along with walls and other forms of terrain.

Unit footprint is smaller than 8x8. There is no unit I can think of that would be larger than that. However, a foot unit that is on the move might be spread out more than 8x8. There are special considerations for this.

Dynamic lighting... honestly not sure. In theory we can have sources anyplace, anytime, and to any degree we wish. I just don't know what is practical at this point.

Steve

it is interesting to see people only picking out the things they want to see. People are sooooo funny that way :D

Steve

Might be!

But also, you want to sell the game to that people...so you might want to comply with what their wishes.

This is a sort of market research for you...

...and the results are quite clear.

Anything else than WWII would be a quite failure.

You see what people want, so it will be what they will get. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! :D

Also, WWII offers a widest variety of troops and theaters, historical battles, weapons, equipment, etc.

In the begining the WWI tankettes were common thing in all the armies...It (WWII) ended up with t34's which were stil used in the exYugoslavia conflict. Or...It started with biplanes, and it ended up with jet planes...

So, the variety of equipment is stunning and challenging. And good for selling the game too :D

And the historical accuracy is one of the most atracitve things in this game...In WWII there are the battles that everybody knows about, and it's much gamier to play the game where you know the historical context.

(How many are there to name 3 major battles in Korea within a minute without use of external aid?)

It's definitely the WWII. The only question is which timeframe and which theater.

Poland-Norway-France 39-40 would be an interesting bundle pack. But Normandy is the most probable result...trust me! ;)

Originally posted by von Churov:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

it is interesting to see people only picking out the things they want to see. People are sooooo funny that way :D

Steve

Might be!

But also, you want to sell the game to that people...so you might want to comply with what their wishes.

This is a sort of market research for you...

...and the results are quite clear.

Anything else than WWII would be a quite failure.

</font>