WW2..?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

We plan on announcing the subject matter for the 1st and 2nd CMx2 games in a few weeks. Screen shots and other visual materials will accompany the announcement.

from the original announcement </font>

well, others may argue, but CM1 and I presume CM2 is basically about armored combat.

Europe, 1939-45, is the most interesting armored combat arena.

The only other interesting theater for armored combat would be middle east 1967 and 1973,(which I would personally love!) but I doubt CM2 will be set in the modern era.

If you go to other wars, like Korea or Vietnam, they were principally infantry affairs. An infantry focused game would make sense if CM2 was designed on a smaller scale than CM1 (i.e. platoon/section sized), but Battlefront as already stated that CM2 will be the same "size" as CM1 (i.e. company sized).

So based on all that, WW2 is the most likely suspect. The only interesting WW2 Tank theaters are NWE 1944-45, USSR 1941-45 and NA 1940-43. Battlefront have already stated that the first CM2 game will not be Eastern Front or North Africa, so that only leaves NWE 1944-45 ( unless you lend credence to the Space Lobsters rumours! :D ).

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

If you go to other wars, like Korea or Vietnam, they were principally infantry affairs. An infantry focused game would make sense if CM2 was designed on a smaller scale than CM1 (i.e. platoon/section sized), but Battlefront as already stated that CM2 will be the same "size" as CM1 (i.e. company sized).

No, not exactly. Right now, CM can field up to a brigade on each side on the same map, and many scenarios have entire battalions depicted. Steve has said that a reinforced company will likely be an upper limit in CMX2. So CMX2 will be substantially smaller.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JC_Hare:

No, not exactly. Right now, CM can field up to a brigade on each side on the same map, and many scenarios have entire battalions depicted. Steve has said that a reinforced company will likely be an upper limit in CMX2. So CMX2 will be substantially smaller. </font>

I would hazard a guess that the first release will definitely not be Napoleonic, for two reasons. The first is, unless BFC is getting awfully deep into deception operations, Steve's recent comments and hints wouldn't make as much sense vis-a-vis a pre-20th. century game.

Secondly and more compelling, such a game would be in direct competition with a game that they are soon to release from another designer, and so far BFC hasn't struck me as being that loony.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JC_Hare:

No, not exactly. Right now, CM can field up to a brigade on each side on the same map, and many scenarios have entire battalions depicted. Steve has said that a reinforced company will likely be an upper limit in CMX2. So CMX2 will be substantially smaller. </font>

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

What I meant to say, but was taking a shortcut is that CM1 was "sized" around a tank, and more specifically around a 1944-45 tank, Sherman, Panther, Tiger, etc.

Put a Sherman or Panther on a CM1 map and it's just the right size. It's clear that the game was designed around the one tank concept. The infantry units were chosen so that the unit size (i.e. squad) would make sense in relation to the one tank concept. From everything I have read, it looks like CM2 is also designed around the central one tank concept and that it's primary focus will be Tank combat, not that there's anything wrong with that :cool: .

CM is the scale that it is because that's the niche they wanted to fill - the Squad Leader scale of squads, weapons teams, and individual AFV.

-dale

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

It won't be WWII Pacific - Steve said in the landing craft thread that they weren't going to have them, and you can't have Pacific WWII without landing craft.

He said a lot more than that previously - namely the design team have no interest in the Pacific Theatre, especially with regards to CM1, but didn't rule out the possibility at some distant time in the future for CMX2, though it still seemed unlikely to be an avenue they would pursue.