Digital Delivery Platform launched! 30% Discounts on all Downloads!

It's finally here - our new digital delivery platform for bringing games directly to your computer via digital download! Now you can order, download and play Battlefront games literally within minutes. No shipping delays, no shipping cost.

If you prefer the traditional delivery method by mail, or if you like to have a fully printed manual*, those options will remain available, too. In fact, each game is now available with three delivery options to choose from:

- Digital Delivery only.

- Mail Delivery only.

- Both Digital and Mail Delivery.

So if all you want is to download the newest release and immediately play, you can choose Digital Delivery only and save on the shipping cost. If you would like to play immediately, but still do not want to miss out on the fully printed manual and a backup CD, you can order the Digital & Mail Delivery option, and will be able to download and play right away… and will get the game CD plus the Manual in the mail a few days later.

To celebrate the launch, Battlefront is offering a unique “30 days / 30% off” sale on all downloads**.

For the next 30 days, starting today, all games ordered with the Digital Delivery only option, receive a special 30% discount off the regular retail price. If you ever wanted to own and play a Battlefront game but hesitated, now is THE opportunity to get it at a great price AND play within minutes.

You can now order the all-time classic Combat Mission Beyond Overlord for as little as $14 (regular price $20), secure a copy of Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin (required for the upcoming Combat Mission Campaigns game) for only $24.50 (instead of $35), or check out what TacOps 4 , the official Army tactical training tool, is all about - for only $17.50 (instead of $25).

Check out our products page for all available games and pricing options. This offer is valid for only 30 days starting today!

* Some games ship with electronic manuals in pdf format

** Sale price available on all “Digital Delivery” orders except for new releases and pre-orders.

So now you can offer downloading weekly builds of beta CMSF for (say) $15 per build smile.gif

Seriously, this is great news! With this option I am sure even more people will get exposed to quality games made (or publishes) by Battlefront.com and community of serious wargamers will grow.

If this is not too much detail to post publically?

What kind of changes can I make to my downloaded game's platform?

I assume it only allows installation on one computer. What happens if I change my computer, if I reinstall Winblows or if I make significant changes to my hardware?

The system described for Drop Team gives you 2 (?) licenses and allow you to unlicense and license again. You just have to remember to unlicense before you reinstall Windows. I guess a similar system is used for other BFC products.

Kurtz is correct. We're using the exact same approach/licensing with all games as with Dropteam or SC2. Here's a FAQ which describes what you can and cannot do:

www.battlefront.com/elicense_faq.html

The FAQ explains more than you'll ever need to know probably, but the short version is that it simply enforces the End User License Agreement that we've had for our games for ever. So you can have two installs at the same time (e.g. desktop and laptop) and you can unlicense and relicense as often as you wish, just make sure that you do that before you reinstall Winblows or make significant hardware changes.

Mord, BFC version of course.

Martin

Thanks, Moon.

From the FAQ I figure that the non-electronic delivery option is also using the same scheme?

That means instead of getting a copy-protected CD that I can install anywhere but only use where the CD is currently in I will have to go through the eLicense process for every computer, too?

Or in other word: now there's no version without eLicense and online registration anymore, even if you order the CD?

Okay, I read through that FAQ. So, I'll be able to unlicense/relicense an unlimited number of times, but can only have two licenses at any one time. That sounds pretty fair.

1) Are these *permanent* licenses?

2) It says "Please note that the number of downloads is limited, and that most download managers might not work properly when trying to download the file (because the download is encrypted)." What do you mean by 'limited'? Will I not be able to redownload it an unlimited number of times (provided, or course, that I maintain the 2 license limit)?

3) Are the PDF manuals included with all products?

Thank you.

[ May 25, 2006, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Llyranor ]

Ooph, lots of questions... sorry I only noticed them now. In order:

Or in other word: now there's no version without eLicense and online registration anymore, even if you order the CD?

That's true, at least for new releases. We do still have non-wrapped CD stock in the warehouse, so until that runs out, the mail delivery version uses traditional protection for some of the older games.

1) Are these *permanent* licenses?
Yes, there is no usage or time limit. Once you have activated your license, you can keep it forever. The eLicense system simply enforces our End User License Agreement (which we are using for many years), and does not add any limitations. You could, for example, play the game for a few years, then unlicense your copies and sell the game. As long as you pass on your key to the other person, he can enjoy it "used" just as if the game had no protection at all.

2) It says "Please note that the number of downloads is limited, and that most download managers might not work properly when trying to download the file (because the download is encrypted)." What do you mean by 'limited'? Will I not be able to redownload it an unlimited number of times (provided, or course, that I maintain the 2 license limit)?
There is a 5x download limit in place at the moment. We only count completed downloads, not partial downloads. The idea is that it's unlikely that you will ever reach that limit, because e.g. you are free to make a backup copy of the game once downloaded. But if you reach the max for some reason, we can always reset it. We simply want to avoid abuse.

3) Are the PDF manuals included with all products?
Yes.

Question on the relicense bit -- If my PC hard drive crashes or PC dies (which happens to me about every year and a half), this kinda cancels out any chance to unlicense. I assume there will be some way to rectify this through Battlefront support?
Yes, of course. But there is even a chance that you do not need our support at all. The eLicense system remembers which computer it has been installed on, so even after a crash, if you re-install, you can try to re-license, and if the system recognizes your computer, it will allow you to re-license in most cases, even if the license itself is erased from your computer. We can also tweak some settings on our end to increase the chances of it happening, so if it doesn't work on the first attempt, you can email support of course.

Just wondering - what company developed this licesing software for you guys?
It's not developed for us. EA Games is using the eLicense, too, I believe.

One week ago I saw CM:AK boxed version on the shelf for 7 Euro (approx. 9 US$) (SATURN Millenium City) yet it is listed at 35 US$ at the products page.

Somehow this does not go together well?!

We have no influence on how retailers price product on the shelf. Which, incidentally, is one of the very reasons why we're relying on direct distribution through this website. We do not agree with selling CMAK at a budget price like that, because the game is definitely worth a lot more in what you get out of it. Therefore we're not adjusting our pricing to some artificial "clearance" level. We're not advertising the lowest price for our games, but we advertise that we have some of the best war and strategy games around.

The CDV versions are the ones in the anthology pack, right?

In what way have they been edited?

I don't recall all the details anymore because it's been some time, but obviously the biggest difference is that the retial versions use non-Nazi symbols and have SS renamed to Waffengrenadier. There might be some other minor differences which I am forgetting.

Are Macs handled the same way? The eLicense FAQ is very Windows-centric...
eLicense does not work on a Mac currently. The Mac versions are either not protected at all or are using a different type of protection depending on the game. You will notice that we do not offer downloads of the CM Mac versions at the moment, by the way.

Martin

Moon,

Thanks for the answer!

Just for my understanding ... does this mean that you sold the retailer the copy for less than 9 US$? Or do you get a certain percentage of whatever they sell the game for?

I am just curious, because somehow I cannot believe that these guys sell at a price that means a loss for them!?

If this is too 'intimate' a question feel free to ignore it!

Best regards,

Thomm

Not intimate at all...

We get a percentage of whatever they decide to sell for. Any attempts to impose a price limit fall flat on the face quickly because nowadays retailers won't take any stock unless they have the right to return it. But if they do, then effectively they determine the price: if they don't like what you tell them to sell for, they ship it all back. So in the end, you're a slave to the retail shop.

This is true for every publisher, even the big labels out there, and is one of the main reasons why we started Battlefront. This approach works well for the retailer as you can imagine (because his goal is to maxmize "profit per sqft" as well as inventory turnover), but we - the game developers - have to live off a game that takes 2, 3, or 4 years to make for that long.

The system works (barely) for big mainstream labels because of the volumes moved on day one. This also explains why more and more money goes into marketing and nice graphics rather than gameplay... none of these guys cares what you do 5 minutes after you bought the game ;) But they do want you in the store on day one.

For wargames, it does not work out at all, because you pesky wargamers are so nitpicky ;) So wargames traditionally sell over longer timeframes.

If this was a too detailed answer feel free to not read it! smile.gif

Martin

Is the not yet for Mac's, Not yet, Not likely or Not never...
Depends on what you mean. If you mean if eLicense will be implemented for the Mac, then I would say it's "not likely" to happen soon. Although this might be changing with the new Intel chipsets, but I haven't heard anything definitive yet.

If you mean if Mac games in general will be offered as digital delivery, then it's "they already are" - just not all of them. DropTeam (hybrid PC, Mac and Linux) will be launched tomorrow, in fact.

If you mean if CM games for the Mac will be available as digital delivery, then it's "not yet". The reason is simple: it requires Charles' time to make them downloadable, and he's been too busy with the new engine, so we postponed CM Mac downloads for the moment. Feel free to send direct requests for a Mac (OS 9 only) downloadable version of your favorite CM game directly to charles@battlefront.com, though :D

Martin

At the moment, CMAK (Mac) is not available as download, but once it is, you will be able to download it. If it runs on your iMac in classic is a different question. If the current version doesn't, then the download verson won't either.

Martin

Dang. After giving away my old cmbb and cmbo cd's when I got my G5 (after seeing how they looked in Classic), recently got a g4 tibook for cheap (which runs os9).

Saw the forum thing about the 30 days cheap download deliv and was just about to order them and cmak up again. Then hit the downloads page...

Hope that price will stay or return when/if you get the mac downloads happening.