Just one little problem with a door in 1.06

1.06 brings all the positive things everyone has noted. I started playing Al Amarah, a scenario that had been very frustrating for me when I tried it right after buying the game, due to pathfinding problems of the vehicles and lack of AI with sense of self-preservation. All of that is incredibly improved.

I had just one little problem, illustrated in this exciting screen shot replay of one squad’s behavior:

2436696410100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

No---wait---that’s Sgt. Fury leading his “Howling Commandos” into another unfair match-up with the entire German army (unfair for the Germans, that is…). For more, see Marvel site:

http://www.marvel.com/digitalcomics/titles/Sgt~dot~_Fury_and_His_Howling_Commandos.1963

Okay, see next post for correct adventure…

Ah, here’s the adventure I wanted:

2059356320100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

(Note: the squad’s behavior and general location/environment is accurately presented; anything else is probably touched up a tad)

2862251740100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2036061410100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2629024160100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2392762930100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2402775530100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2788722940100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2345198980100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

Levity aside, with coaxing and very short orders I can get troops to reach the door, but they refuse to go through it, and given any leeway at all, go back to bounding off down the street to be slaughtered as they try to circle the block. I’m sure there’s some rule or attribute of buildings that I’m missing here….what is it?

RuhrRiver,

Have you tried this with a more complicated move? By this, I mean, run to the wall, then hunt into the first floor and then hunt to the second floor? I find that when I give a simple run from A to B, location above a first floor location that the squads get silly, like in your example.

funny i had similar expiriences in Al Amahra.

you can possibly avoid that when you would have placed a waypoint behind the wall in front of the door, and the 2nd waypoint in the house/roof.

sometimes they think they dont fit in between the houses and the walls and dont want to take this route, i found.

Okay, I did some "tests." dpabrams was right: one of the soldiers lights a paper bag full of turds at the back door and runs off and then they all run up the street giggling so they won't get caught. Except they run into dozens of opfor soldiers who kill them all.

Just kidding, but I did do tests in hotseat mode and moved all the Syrian forces far away...same setup with the US squad in one building and ordered to the 2nd floor of the building across the street through the seemingly accessable back door:

1. Single "fast" order

Result: They leave building and run up the street towards certain death.

2. Four-step "fast" order: to street, to back "patio," to 1st floor, to second floor.

Result: They leave building and run up the street towards certain death.

3. Four step varied order: fast to street, hunt to patio, move to 1st floor, hunt to second floor.

Result: They move to street, then 3 soldiers move to patio, then they all run up the street towards certain death.

I also tried three "move orders:" to street, to largest space between the two buildings including the target building, to the large courtyard in front of the target building.

Result: They all "move" up the street to certain death.

I think this is a real pathfinding problem--but maybe it's just with that particular building/wall setup? Maybe it's the number of troops involved?

I think some of these pathfinding problems in urban areas are somehow caused by the terrain itself. Either it is too constricted to hold the mass of the squad so the AI sends it to a different path or the actual building/door/wall is not being shown accurately due to some issue in the editor.

It always seems that you get one or two opennings like the one shown that seem normal, but they always have a consistent issue.

A hypothesis only.

But the point is we shouldnt have to do it with small groups, steve is constantly saying how they shouldnt do anything that increases our micro-management and i believe splitting you squads to cross the street sits firmly in this domain.

I dont think its going to be a big problem to fix seeing as bfc have killed the pathfinding bugs pretty quickly so far. just hopefully we wont have to wait ages for our troops to get new compass's issued.

And as for RuhrRivers post, dude thats was funny, and i for one want to see a shock force:the comic (with monthly updates) ASAP.

And to aid our viewing pleasure once you have your first edition could someone at BFC sticky it to the top of the forum :D

Hev,

But the point is we shouldnt have to do it with small groups, steve is constantly saying how they shouldnt do anything that increases our micro-management and i believe splitting you squads to cross the street sits firmly in this domain.
Absolutely correct :D There has to be something going on here that needs to be fixed. We'll definitely hunt this one down, even though I was too busy laughing at the report's format to notice the actual problem smile.gif

The last "door bug" we fixed was actually not a bug per se, but a problem with how people were putting together scenarios. Two abutting buildings and the designer put a door only on one interior wall. So it looked like a door but wasn't. Charles had to do a hack to make it work instead of trying to insist that all designers put two doors all the time, every time. Perhaps there is something like that going on here too?

Steve

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by skelley:

I've noticed that if walls are close to doors infantry won't enter the building.

OK so given that doors are by definition holes in walls, how can the wall not be close to the door? </font>