poll over at the PG site

Polls tell people what they want to hear more than anything. The most important thing to do is NOT put the Poll someplace where you are likely going to get a statistically biased sample result. Putting a PBEM poll like that in a place that is frequented mostly by PBEM players is going to produce a "duh, I already knew that" result rather than something useful. It would be like polling here if people really wanted us to make another tactical wargame or instead make a FPS with completely unrealistic combat. If we were trying to figure out what our customers wanted, then this would be fine. But if we were trying to figure out which one would sell more if we looked beyond our customers, well... this ain't a useful place to poll :D

Steve

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by simovitch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Could all you panicked PBEMers please just read what has been said about this subject, nod your head as if you understood it and then STFU?

wtf? </font>

While no poll is perfect, this seems to be a legit attempt to guage the preferences of the CM community. It is hosted and located at a site that is now the premier place to be of all CM scenario designers and those wanting to download those battles and ops. This site will apparently replace the lost and lamented CM Scenario Depot. The battles and ops offered there are not limited by type of play and indeed represent all types of play. Of course those that bought a copy of one of the CM games, played it for a week or two and then put it on a shelf now coverd with dust are unlikely to participate in the poll.

In any case its results will be more persuasive and instructive than "we know because we know" opinions that we have heard thus far. As I recall from business school that is how the Edsel was designed. Consumer market surveys were used by Ford shortly thereafter.

Originally posted by KG_Jag:

While no poll is perfect, this seems to be a legit attempt to guage the preferences of the CM community.

In any case its results will be more persuasive and instructive than

"we know because we know" opinions that we have heard thus far.

The PBEM preferences of the CM Community have been brought out "ad Nauseum"

The "we know because we know" is in all probability BFC's way of offering a civil reply to an impertinent question.

Approach another well established and successful business, requesting proprietary information

and see what type of response you get.

and I will bet your next retainer fee the chances of CMX2

being an "electronic Edsel" are about 0 (zero)

[ September 04, 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

In any case its results will be more persuasive and instructive than "we know because we know" opinions that we have heard thus far
No it won't. That is my point. The place you are asking is frequented by the hardcore center of the CM community. They are, not surprisingly, PBEM centric. So you are going to get a skewed sample. Period. So what is the point? If I posted a poll here that asked "should we continue to make games or take jobs making baskets" what do you think the results would be? Just what you'd exepct, and that is exactly what you will get from the poll you made. It really is rather obvious.

Also, the poll doesn't ask the right question. For example, "would you rather a game that was 1/2 as good because it supported PBEM at all costs, or roll the dice and try for a game that is twice as good but has a small chance that it might not have PBEM?". An out of context choice like "how do you play the game" like the poll on TPG has no bearing on the discussion of PBEM inclusion in CMx2 even if there was the possibility of changing things...

Which brings me to the "what's the point of the poll anyway?" We've already said we want to include PBEM, even if a minority of players use it. So number of people using it is NOT a factor. We've already said that we don't think it is likely we won't be able. We've already said that we refuse to promise anything until we know for sure we can. And above all, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ANYBODY CAN DO TO CHANGE ANY OF THIS.

So why is it that I have to keep seeing these threads and locking them up? Next thing I know people will start up threads every couple of days asking about if we're going to model battalion level operations. Oh crap... wait, that's already happened. ARGH!

Steve

[ September 04, 2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]