Mail Call w/ Gunny Huntarr

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After attempting the Marines campaign and getting my sorry butt whooped repeatedly, I have a question: What's normal AAV doctrine? Due to their weak armor, they seem like they're mainly good as battlefield taxis rather than assault vehicles like Bradleys, but they're pretty heavily armed compared to Strykers or M113s.

Field Marshal Blucher: Not sure what the offical USMC doctrine is for them but battle taxi is in my experience what they work well as. Think of them as basically big Strykers w/o all the techno gadgets and you'll be pretty close. Each AAV carries a full platoon by itself, so basically you've got a high-speed land-and-sea Marine delivery system (well compared to humping it the long way or paddling your rubber boat). The M-19 on them works very well to suppress or recon by fire potential safe unloading points, and to counter an ambush while all the Marines in the back bail out. As you noted though they are not heavily armored and should not be used as an assault/fighting vehicle.

They are great to get Marines to the area of the objective, and possibly support them onto the objective if there is no AT threat. Marines are leg infantry, and fight best as such. Remember all you have to do is gain superiority of fire, maneuver, and destroy. Use the AAV to maneuver on a large scale, on a small scale they're there just to help you get to the fight faste. Only if the threat environment is low use your AAV to help gain fire superiority.

-Jenrick

MCWP 3-13 w/chg 1

Employment of Amphibious

Assault Vehicles (AAVs)

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCWP%203-13%20w_Chg%201%20Employment%20of%20Amphibious%20Assault%20Vehicles%20(AAVs).pdf

2425748265_8686ce9934_m.jpg2425748011_c3f467f4ae_m.jpg2426591310_09e9a7b7c5_m.jpg2426571514_4cd65f38d4_m.jpg

Select "all sizes" of these images on the flicker page and you can see them at 3000X2000 resolution. You'll be able to count every rivet in the enhanced armor package. http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntarr/2425748265/sizes/o/in/set-72157604629801253/

• 2 weeks later...

Huntarr,

Have never been CSed, but I have seen enough gross footage to not make me miss it. OTOH, I did arrange to stun gun myself once, while evaluating home defense options. Had someone spot me while I zapped myself in the thigh. Felt like I'd driven an icepick into my leg, and down I went. Avoid if possible! Your cartoon cracked me up, making a long night a lot more bearable. Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler