MG-Gunners on halftracks/jeeps...

...thinking about the good old SdKfz 251 as example.

Infantry firing from vehicles has already been answered elsewhere - it would be nice, as in the "Schnelle Truppen" manual you see a lot of reference to that.

But what about the MG Gunners on those things? Right now, with CMBB if your gunner gets shot, the MG is out of order for the rest of the game.

Best as I know, historically the vehicle belonged to the squad, driver and gunner a member of the squad. I would expect that if the gunner gets shot out of a HT the squad would have sent another man into their vehicle to resume firing, instead of simple giving up a nice steady-mounted HMG.

This would be really nice to have.

That assumes the HT is in the firing line. I personally haven't enough information to form an estimate of how often that could have been the case, but a lot of the discussion on the board in the past has left me with the impression that it was rare, that the infantry debussed well back, preferably behind some LOS-blocking terrain, and advanced on foot to a point where they could engage the enemy.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

That assumes the HT is in the firing line. I personally haven't enough information to form an estimate of how often that could have been the case, but a lot of the discussion on the board in the past has left me with the impression that it was rare, that the infantry debussed well back, preferably behind some LOS-blocking terrain, and advanced on foot to a point where they could engage the enemy.

Michael

U.S. armored infantry, based on tactics and paper TO&E (i.e. no BAR) relied on the .30 in the HT for automatic fire support. I don't know how often they simply dismounted it and grabbed the tripod.

-dale

I guess the best option would be a more detailed modeling of passenger vehicles in general.

The german field manual speaks a lot about fighting from the vehicle, as well as the vehicle in a fire support role for the dismounted squad.

If they could model individual weapons which can be taken from/mounted in the vehicle, and give the user a choice to totally dismount/keep driver&gunner aboard we could do all things we want.

Still, at any rate, the current modeling of HT MGs is just not correct. If the vehicle stays in the fight, then the gunner would have been replaced by another squad member if hit; if the vehicle stays behind, they wouldn't have left the gunner and MG with it.