Sound Modeling

Shep

Originally posted by Tarkus:

Speaking of sound, I think an interesting issue would be to try to reproduce the way sounds transform with distance. For example, if you are listening to a fire fight from a distance, gun shots do not sounds as crisp as up close on the firing range.

I second that.

It could be done by using a simple lowpass-filter, with cutoff-frequency set by unit's distance to the camera.

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

Let me get this straight. You want the speed of sounds from hundreds of units to be calculated in real time as you swoop over the battle and jump from unit to unit.

Not to mention that you already have a god-like view of the battle, so I have no idea why god-like hearing would be so upsetting.

If you're talking about CMx1, then I suppose you are right, but we don't know yet what will be the exact proprotion of divine knowledge in the next generation. ;) Might as well discuss sound as part of the equation, no ? With that said, I honestly confess I don't know how this can be done technically, to say nothing of the kind of work involved.

Cheers

Speaking of sound, speed of sound would be nice, but I guess we need to be able to switch between realistc and light speed.

Originally posted by Tarkus:

...For example, if you are listening to a fire fight from a distance, gun shots do not sounds as crisp as up close on the firing range.

... some sort of doppler effect would be quite impressive too. Arty shells roaring over head or bullet buzzing past your ear...

I second that.

Would be BTW also nice if you can hear the Off-Map artillery fireing from some distance, too smile.gif

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

Let me get this straight. You want the speed of sounds from hundreds of units to be calculated in real time as you swoop over the battle and jump from unit to unit.

Not to mention that you already have a god-like view of the battle, so I have no idea why god-like hearing would be so upsetting.

Sound volume is already reduced with distance, why not add a delay as well?

OK, I'm in danger of going into "I know nothing about this but I'm going to comment as if my posts were ex cathedra" territory.

But it would be a good feature.

Would be BTW also nice if you can hear the Off-Map artillery fireing from some distance, too
Already in CMX1, if you listen for it.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

Sound volume is already reduced with distance, why not add a delay as well?

OK, I'm in danger of going into "I know nothing about this but I'm going to comment as if my posts were ex cathedra" territory.

But it would be a good feature.

</font>

I wouldn't mind more variety in the background sound environment myself.

Are you a lone patrol far forward? A piece of a larger engagement with battle equal to yours raging just off screen? Are there radio squawks going on when you click on your HQ units, or just dead air?

-dale

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

Yup, you're missing something.

I don't. I have checked again, with ambient sound turned off. Nothing to hear before the *sssst-boom*. </font>

Someone please tell me they are putting in a freeking volume control! When I am Voip'd to my opponant and can't make him any louder and can't make the game quieter (without moving away from the battlefield or muting the game) it sure makes conversation frustrating...

Give me sliders or give me death!

Master --------O--

Ambient ---O--------

Game Sounds --------O---

Music O-----------

Space Lobsters ----------O-

?