CMx2 Graphics

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Guest ExplodingMonkey

I'm picking up an Asus z70va "refresh" notebook in September, which will have the 128mb ATI x700 GPU. I'm pretty sure if it can play Doom 3 smoothly in high-detail (like the z70v could with the x600), then I'll be able to run CMx2 with minimal fuss.

I'm patient though. I'll wait on a closer to final shot in six months rather than a "feed-me-now" piccie that may mean nothing.

I'm just glad CMx2 seems like it's gonna deliver in the eye-candy zone. I always knew it would in every other category, now I don’t have to worry about the graphics. :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirocco dont worry, we *should* be able to have detailed running gear with suspenision, etc. smile.gif

Something to keep in mind is that its amazing just how quickly you can remove details from a model as it moves away from screen yet have the human eye not be able too tell the differnce in game.

Dan

How many LODs do you think will be utilized for each model? In OFP, we average about four - the first LOD is full detail and the remaining three reduce their poly count by about 50% each LOD.

So first LOD may have 3000 polys, 2nd would have 1500, 3rd would have 750, 4th would have about 375. You can add more LODs as necessary, but this is pretty standard.

The thing that I've noticed that can really kill 3d engines are textures. Will CMx2 retain the BMP texture files, or just jpegs, tgas, or something else? What pixel size will they average?

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Sirocco dont worry, we *should* be able to have detailed running gear with suspenision, etc. smile.gif

I look forward to seeing a Marder, with fully functioning crew, bouncing along cross country with detailed running gear and suspension. :cool:

Just don't let me down and cover some non-WW2 theatre. None of that modern nonsense. ;)

I don't know what the LODs will be like in terms of reductions. But the furthest out LOD will likely be something like 4 or 6 polygons like in CMx1. When something takes up, literally, 2 pixels on screen any more than a few polygons is a complete and utter waste. I'm going to guess that detailed suspensions will go away on the third LOD out from the highest. Just a guess that is when we can get away with wiping it off the model without the eye detecting it. The most close and next to most clolse will likely both have working suspensions.

Steve

Gents,

Many questions: with a detailed running gear animation, will the dynamic physics of the running be correctly modelled? Will the damping rates be "fudged"? How about track whip? Lash up? Will crew animations be included for adjusting the tensioner?

On the subject of wagons, will the various suspensions be modelled as well? Panji's versus four-wheeled? Scythe chariots? How will the leg movement animations of space lobsters change as their gait varies from walk to trot to gallop? Let's not even mention the dreaded space lobster leap of death...

Many grog areas of expertise will be revealed with detailed running gear animations.

Thanks,

Ken

I can feel it in the wind. The signs are clearer than ever. Peng now has quit the weed and challanged everyone, the depot is saddly gone and the bones are becoming frequent. the time for a new era is close. CMx2 will be released before this years end, mark my words.

Originally posted by Europa:

I can feel it in the wind. The signs are clearer than ever. Peng now has quit the weed and challanged everyone, the depot is saddly gone and the bones are becoming frequent. the time for a new era is close. CMx2 will be released before this years end, mark my words.

I doubt that. My suspicion is release won't occur until April/May of 2006.

We haven't looked into anything specifically, but generally other people's code are a big headache to use. By the time you get it working, figure out its limitations, and deal with bugs/quirks... you'd have been better off doing it on your own. At least that is the case with limited development resources (i.e. one programmer smile.gif ). Larger development teams can make stuff like this work and work well if the libraries are solid and the company that made them fast and reliable with tech support issues.

Oh... and then there are the expenses from using other people's stuff! Sometimes the arrangements are absolutely unacceptable. I remember at Sierra having to beat one well know vendor up before we would do business with them. They simply wanted way too much of the pie for the value their code brought to our games.

Steve

Steve, thank you for the reply. I understand how licensing etc can be a real PITA, not to mention you would not have control of the code. It would be cool to have a house or barn fall to pieces and realistically trap or not even hinder an AFV. The hardware looks to seriously be capable of upping the playable poly count. Are we talking the oft sniffled (by me smile.gif ) over, pioneer of 3D? This looks to be the next big hardware genre for the PC, even if they go the route of 3DFx. I will probably be an early adopter....I am a hardware addict Heh! I have bought all three games for myself, and as gifts for friends, as soon as they came out. I will certainly continue as you guys have spoiled me rotten these several years. Keep up the fantastic work!

tom's instant web research response

hmm...

interesting :cool:

more here web page

"Partner Quote

"We've been using the NovodeX Physics SDK with the Unreal Engine 3 for the past year and it has added some awesome effects. It's going to be exciting to see what NovodeX can do once the PhysX chip hits the market."

Tim Sweeney,

Founder and lead programmer, Epic Games"

and

"AGEIA Takes the Wraps off of its PhysX Chip

Posted by Tracy Erickson on Mar 8th (2005?)

Email this Article

Author: Tracy Erickson

Managing Editor and sleepless gamer.

Today, AGEIA took the wraps off of its new semiconductor, the PhysX physics processing unit (PPU). The AGEIA PhysX chip, will be the first dedicated physics semiconductor chip to be used in next-generation game platforms. By performing advanced physics simulations in real time, the PPU can respond to gamer actions as well as environments contributing to pervasive interactive reality. Physics will offer a host of advanced features including universal collision detection, rigid-body dynamics, soft-body dynamics, fluid dynamics, smart particle systems, clothing simulation, soft-body deformation with tearing, and brittle fracturing for destruction of objects in gaming environments.

“What is increasingly defining successful games is how well they emulate reality,” said Rob Enderle, principal analyst of the Enderle Group. “PhysX has the potential to create environments that are vastly more real and compelling to both existing gamers and those that have not yet discovered the amazing worlds created by leading developers.”

Both Epic Games and Ubisoft have signed on with AGEIA for next-generation game development that will include use of the PPU. "

I sure would like to see what they do or what they are selling

Its hard to know what its all about if you can't really see anything.

interesting none the less....

-tom w

[ July 29, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

i just talked with Steve and heard that the first CMx2 release is going to be titled "Winter War 1939", followed by "Winter war 1940" some 6 months later. advanced physics are needed to simulate realistic Finnish AT tactics. like the one in which a tank driggers a trap by pushing down a small branch, which causes 1-5 trees fall upon the tank. accroding to Steve there are very accurate calculations on what kind of damage individual falling trees cause on the tanks. it's all up to tree type, temperature etc, so that for example frozen pines are more likely to cause dents if they hit specific hull weakspots. on the other hand firs are more likely to cause facial scars for the TC if he's not buttoned up when the tank drives into the trap. he also said that there will be horses early war 1939, but that they'll be excluded from 1940 version because by then it's only realistic to expect that the Soviets have already eaten them.