CMx2 Graphics

Guest ExplodingMonkey

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'd guess not. They are not trying to make a nifty looking AFV, they are striving to make a good wargame. The looks of the vehicles in CM is not my major gripe with graphics, they are pretty as they are. Infantry and terrain should get more of the attention.

Remember that wargamers are not renowned for their powerfull gaming rigs! smile.gif

Originally posted by Bonxa:

[...] The looks of the vehicles in CM is not my major gripe with graphics, they are pretty as they are. Infantry and terrain should get more of the attention.

[...]

Agreed. Although these vehicles look extremely good indeed, only slight improvments on current CM 3D vehicles models would be quite enough IMO (like, say, dynamic running gears ). But more flexibility on terrain modelling and editing ? Now that would (should I say will ? smile.gif ) rock.

Sorry. It's been a while since I posted something useless and redundant on CMx2. I feel better now. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Nice models and textures, but then again things in 3D Studio Max always look better than in the game :D This is what it is more or less likely to look like in the game:

128%20-%20PIII_Ingame2.jpg

Still, quite nice looking. But not a major step up from what CMx1 is capable of (excepting the suspension system). Some extra pollies here and there... big deal... we could have done that years ago too if the hardware wouldn't have puked on it :D However, the terrain in BF2 is amazing even if limited in many ways.

We agree about where to spend our energies... terrain first, infantry second, vehicles third.

Steve

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Thanks Steve for the feedback.

I just see how "2001" T72 looks and I want to make sure CMx2 isn't headed down the same road.

Wargames tend to get the shaft when it comes to graphics, and for me a big part of any game is immersion.

The grogs in here may think CM is fine as is, but that's because they're used to pushing little squares from hex to hex. Not all of us in here are inclined to do the same. :D

I agree that it should go terrain, troops, and AFVs.

Guest ExplodingMonkey

It's not an UT mod. It's a BF1942 mod that I don't play (but I do like to follow it's development).

They do a damn fine job pushing that graphics engine to it's limits, and it's my hope that CMx2 will meet or surpass that level of graphic representation. From Steve's indication...

"But not a major step up from what CMx1 is capable of (excepting the suspension system). Some extra pollies here and there... big deal... we could have done that years ago too if the hardware wouldn't have puked on it"

...it will surpass those screens.

Guest ExplodingMonkey

I'm not interested in tanks specifically, I just wanted to get a feel for how much more detailed and immersive the entire CMx2 package will be. ;)

As RMC and others have said, making pretty tanks is fairly easy from a development standpoint. It can be pretty hard on the VRAM, video card, and processor though, which is why our models are the way they are. One time we figured out that to do a suspension system, even a primative one, would take more polies than the entire tank it was attached to.

Improved infantry models for CMx2... already done. In fact, we think our first batch looks better than the ones in games like BF2 and some of the WWII RTS games yet to come out. They apparently spent their poly and texture budget on the buildings.

Steve

Hmmm... I don't remember, but I want to say the CMBO ones were around 500 and the basic textures were usually 256x256. We pretty much doubled that for CMBB and went a bit higher for CMAK. I can't check because the program I used to make/edit them is long since defunct (only works on MacOS 8.6 or earlier).

If anybody is wondering why... think of how many polies are needed for the ground mesh, the trees, the walls, buildings, roads, water, bases for trees, doodads, wheat fields, etc. etc. etc. Truly massive.

Steve