Your opinion about playing vs. AI

Oddly enough even with a TacAI that is "dumb" I am finding the computer opponent to give me a hard time. Only after playing the same scenario a number of times do I routinely beat the scenario.

...but yea, there is something off about how the tacAI behaves. Would have to sit down with a notepad and document it to go further. ...and that is no longer "playing the game" but "working on the game" and a bridge too far for me even if I were at home.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

It's definitely worth closer examination. At least playing another human in WEGO minimizes the hazards of a "dumb" TacAI.

More than a little stunning. I have a buddy here who has designed a tabletop miniature game that has no unit morale on purpose, because he wants YOU to be their morale.

But it's also relatively impossible to move pinned units forward under fire, so you can't really stick your hand deeper into the blender. ;)

-dale

I just posted re: the AI in another thread (regarding house-to-house fighting) and I'm wondering now, as I'm reading other threads, whether the TacAI might not just be bugged.

As you might imagine, it can be REAL hard to catch all of the corner cases that screw with an AI, especially one that should respond to situations realistically.

Perhaps there's just some small issue that needs to be tweaked, some piece of code that needs reviewing. Perhaps I'm just being hopeful... but I think it's highly probable that the TacAI will improve dramatically in a later release.

As for the Strategic AI... it's pretty great to allow scenario designers to design their own plans, but I think it makes sense to have a default plan based on the mission type regardless.

You know where the objectives are, you can allow the units to navigate obstacles on their own (the long-distance pathfinding is actually pretty good... as Steve stated elsewhere, you should see what pathfinding looks like in the programmer's first compile! This is true of every project I've been on, no question).

Even just a set of movement and shooting orders would probably vastly improve customer QB experiences.

Cheers,

Phil

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Eventually, I'd prefer a "reactive" type AI that responds to battlefield stimuli rather than the clock.

I'd also like it to cook me breakfast and cure the common cold. smile.gif

So they did it once, and can never do it again, like the frikkin' Silmarils? ;)

Anyway, is it true that units don't respond to fire? That seems... weird.

-dale </font>

From my point of view, the TacAI is "smart" enough to fight back from static positions. It will shoot and hurt you if you don't use good tactics. I've been defeated more than once, and had a ton of fun. However, each battle I've played has been more like fighting the Japanese dug into caves. Each defensive position is static and defended to the last man. Pound with artillery, supressing fire, assault position and kill everyone inside. I have not experienced the feeling of "pushing" the enemy back, just destroying completely.

Again, the game is fun and I recommend it, but I feel the TacAI could use some help.