Your thoughts on 1.08

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by meade95:

Okay - So if I have the Paradox version - Being a new BFC customer what is the usual procedure from here -

Does a "incremental" 1.08 patch....usually see itself be followed by a FULL 1.08 patch in the near future?

It would be the other way around.

A "full" patch means you have to download the entire game code again to get the patch. Means a big download, but is sometimes necessary if the changes to the game have been extensvie.

An "incremental" patch means you download a smaller program which adds the code fixes to what's already on your hard drive. Smaller download, but can be tricky to implement.

If you have a fast broadband connection, full patches aren't such a big deal. If you don't, they're kind of a PITA.

The important thing for you to know is that, because of the different copy protection software used, the patch for the BFC version of the game is not compatible with the patch for the Paradox version, and vice versa.

The end result will be the same, though. You just have to make sure you click on the correct download link.

AIUI, there have been some incidents were people applying the correct (Paradox) patch to the Paradox version have had problems with the copy protection software activating and thinking the newly patched game is pirated. Unfortunately, BFC can't help you with problems like this; you need to go to Paradox customer support for Paradox copy protection issues.

But hopefully, this won't happen to you, and you'll only have to deal with a longer patch download. Best of luck!

Cheers,

YD

Okay - So if I have the Paradox version - Being a new BFC customer what is the usual procedure from here -

Does a "incremental" 1.08 patch....usually see itself be followed by a FULL 1.08 patch in the near future?

A "full" patch means you have to download the entire game code again to get the patch. Means a big download, but is sometimes necessary if the changes to the game have been extensvie.

An "incremental" patch means you download a smaller program which adds the code fixes to what's already on your hard drive. Smaller download, but can be tricky to implement.

If you have a fast broadband connection, full patches aren't such a big deal. If you don't, they're kind of a PITA.

The important thing for you to know is that, because of the different copy protection software used, the patch for the BFC version of the game is not compatible with the patch for the Paradox version, and vice versa.

The end result will be the same, though. You just have to make sure you click on the correct download link.

AIUI, there have been some incidents were people applying the correct (Paradox) patch to the Paradox version have had problems with the copy protection software activating and thinking the newly patched game is pirated. Unfortunately, BFC can't help you with problems like this; you need to go to Paradox customer support for Paradox copy protection issues.

But hopefully, this won't happen to you, and you'll only have to deal with a longer patch download. Best of luck!

Cheers,

YD

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by James Crowley:

Vehicles still meld together via atrocious 'clipping'

I'm really amazed that this hasn't warranted any attention through eight patches!

It has.

We (well really Charles has - we just tested his work) have spent oodles of time on this.

The trade off appears that you either have some clipping or you have some “no closer than” distance so vehicles can’t park next to each other.

I personally am happy with this being a wide open spaces, vehicle commander, type of guy. But those who want to shoe horn four Strykers in an alley so they can pop their smoke (something else that needs to be fixed) so that a squad can assault across a street, don’t.

So the “development” continues.

Your post suggests it has been ignored since version 1.0 and that certainly isn’t the case.

Whether it has been resolved to your satisfaction is of course an entirely different matter. smile.gif

I'm really amazed that this hasn't warranted any attention through eight patches!

It has.

We (well really Charles has - we just tested his work) have spent oodles of time on this.

The trade off appears that you either have some clipping or you have some “no closer than” distance so vehicles can’t park next to each other.

I personally am happy with this being a wide open spaces, vehicle commander, type of guy. But those who want to shoe horn four Strykers in an alley so they can pop their smoke (something else that needs to be fixed) so that a squad can assault across a street, don’t.

Your post suggests it has been ignored since version 1.0 and that certainly isn’t the case.

Whether it has been resolved to your satisfaction is of course an entirely different matter. smile.gif

It has.

I personally haven't seen any of this atrocious clippage. In fact, the other day I was amazed when I ordered four vehicles to squeeze through a hole in a wall, and as they approached the wall, they stopped and went in one-by-one in an orderly fashion.

I personally haven't seen any of this atrocious clippage. In fact, the other day I was amazed when I ordered four vehicles to squeeze through a hole in a wall, and as they approached the wall, they stopped and went in one-by-one in an orderly fashion.

Still no arty delivered smoke?

Hello!? I think that is more important than the "shatter gap" or giant Matrox monitor fix...

As far as I can tell, this remains the single most glaring omission.

Of course, I haven't played 1.08 yet, just going by the patch notes, so if I am wrong, my apologies.

Hello!? I think that is more important than the "shatter gap" or giant Matrox monitor fix...

Of course, I haven't played 1.08 yet, just going by the patch notes, so if I am wrong, my apologies.

I am guessing on this, but I think that two of the issues with arty smoke are the frame rate slowing to .2 frames per second, and the second is that there is a lot of disagreement on the extent to which it is a vicious form of tear gas/incendiary and the extent to which that should be modeled.

There was an "eloquent" quote from an artillery officer in Fallujah during the big assault there about using WP smoke to "encourage" insurgents to leave covered positions followed by VT and cluster munitions to finish ruining there day.

There are several post above about how the game currently ignores this effect with vehicle smoke grenades.

My question then is if the effects of the WP were modeled would be gamey or good tactics to lay vehicle smoke right on the enemy trenches. How long would a follow on infantry assault have to wait to avoid being effected? Would gas masks help? Would this amount to admitting to a violation of the Geneva conventions? Would anyone care?