Battle for Taiwan.

Hmm, John, I've been a consultant for 10 years now, but if you can find a way to tie use of the word "surely" to a "specific probability range" that is endorsed by the US intelligence community, I shall bow down in shock and awe at your superior wankery-skills. ;)

(Knocking myself off my own grammatical high horse BTW, "surely" is an adverb, not an adjective as I stated above -- incorrectly redface.gif )

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the link to the Ward paper on Soviet aircraft design I mentioned. Unfortunately, it's a PDF.

pdf.aiaa.org/GetFileGoogle.cfm?gID=63226&gTable=mtgpaper

LongLeftflank,

My memory on this admittedly obscure bit of intel trivia is faint, having not thought about it for almost 17 years, but certain as to the fact that something like it existed. There were footnotes at the bottom of DIA classified pubs specifically stating this and indicating which term corresponded to what range of certitude, expressed numerically as from X-Y percent.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Long time since the last post, but I had a look to see what the Chinese are developing, some interesting stuff.

Type 97

Type 99

Type 63A

Type 89

Weishi

HJ-9

Type-022

WZ-10

New Transport

L-15

None of these is in the US class , but they do show an improvement from current Chinese capabilities.

I am particularly interested in the L-15, which like the Korean T-50 is a cross between a trainer and an F-16, and as such could be very attractive to a large number of third world countries look up up date to something more modern, as it lets them do both roles with one aircraft, with advanced technology at low cost.

It could turn out to be chinas first real export winner taking over from the Mig-21 in Africa and beyond.

The Type 89 122mm MRL is also an interesting design.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone hear the Chinese Ambassador to UK on the radio today commenting on the USA's view on the PLAN's expansion and increasing blue water capability - he went f'ing nuts - it was priceless - I've never heard a diplomat talk so undiplomatically - great stuff - I'll try and track down the sound file on the Beeb.

• 11 months later...

I'm curious to see if CMSF can handle scenarios involving a war with China by using Syrian forces with better equipment than usual, somewhat better training/morale, and copious amounts of infantry backed by a lot of the more advanced T-72s. Perhaps with a good amount of artillery and a airpower stalemate situation where neither side has complete control of the skies.

Think it's possible?