About US small arms

Axel

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a .45 as my duty weapon. 9mm is no good for a close up gunfight or when confronting a suspect with a knife at 10 feet. .40 is better, but .45 is the way to go.

So many articles have been written in the Marine Corps Gazette about going back to a .45 and the Corps has been making its own .45 MEU SOC pistol for decades. But I guess it all boils down to cost and that NATO straphanger.

I carry a .45 as my duty weapon. 9mm is no good for a close up gunfight or when confronting a suspect with a knife at 10 feet. .40 is better, but .45 is the way to go.

So many articles have been written in the Marine Corps Gazette about going back to a .45 and the Corps has been making its own .45 MEU SOC pistol for decades. But I guess it all boils down to cost and that NATO straphanger.

I have a Beretta 96, which is the same as the Beretta 92 (the civilian version of the M9) except .40 S&W. I'm more likely to use it against a bear or a rutting bull moose (you do NOT want to tangle with them when they are in heat) and I've heard stories of 9mm just not being enough. Yet I don't like the weight and feel of .45cal pistols. So, I went for the compromise. Since I don't have to worry about finding ammo for it out on the battlefield, it was a choice without consequences :D

Steve

I have a Beretta 96, which is the same as the Beretta 92 (the civilian version of the M9) except .40 S&W. I'm more likely to use it against a bear or a rutting bull moose (you do NOT want to tangle with them when they are in heat) and I've heard stories of 9mm just not being enough. Yet I don't like the weight and feel of .45cal pistols. So, I went for the compromise. Since I don't have to worry about finding ammo for it out on the battlefield, it was a choice without consequences :D

Steve

Steve

Steve, shooting a bull moose or a bear with a .40 will only piss them off more, and in the case of the bear, will guarantee that it will eat you.

Get a good ole .357 or .44 magnum. Works lot better against your primary threat. They also work well against uninvited guests. But for that, I would recommend a Remington 870 .12 gauge. Just cycling the bolt when you pump a shell into the chamber will settle 95% of any possible violent encounters you might have in the defense of your family.

Steve, shooting a bull moose or a bear with a .40 will only piss them off more, and in the case of the bear, will guarantee that it will eat you.

Get a good ole .357 or .44 magnum. Works lot better against your primary threat. They also work well against uninvited guests. But for that, I would recommend a Remington 870 .12 gauge. Just cycling the bolt when you pump a shell into the chamber will settle 95% of any possible violent encounters you might have in the defense of your family.