Infantry firing from vehicles?

Firing from within/ontop of a vehicle, under realistic circumstances, is on our list. We don't know how difficult it will be to acheive, but we're going to try to have it for the first release.

No, I don't expect any AT weapons would be usable from within or on top of a vehicle. Even modern day "soft launch" AT missiles have too much backblast for such conditions.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Firing from within/ontop of a vehicle, under realistic circumstances, is on our list. We don't know how difficult it will be to acheive, but we're going to try to have it for the first release.

Great to hear, but does that also mean troops from inside armoured half-tracks, please tell me that ya gonna try it so. :cool:

Sure. The room needed to reload is quite small. Turning and what not... even the tight confines of the SPW 251 would allow for this. Other vehicles, such as the Soviet BMP series have the troops back to back facing outboard. They also provide each soldier with a periscope, an environmentally sealed and waterproof firing port, brass catcher, and gas vent. Neat little things... snap right onto the side of an AK and you're good to go!

Steve

No, I don't expect any AT weapons would be usable from within or on top of a vehicle. Even modern day "soft launch" AT missiles have too much backblast for such conditions.

Steve

To contradict this in a minor way - I was driving a vismod M113 at NTC in '99 and one of the grunts in back fired an ATWESS Dragon from the troop compartment hatch (IIRC we were hull down). Good news is that he killed the Bradley he shot at. Bad news, he set our bundled camo netting on fire and nearly got the diesel fuel spillage on the deck too.

Lesson learned: You can put light infantry in an armored vehicle, but you can't convince them that they're in an armored vehicle. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dalem:

I think I just peed Mord's pants.

-dale

LMFAO.

And here I thought those Depends Mace gave me were faulty...I see now there's a saboteur in my midst and Fruit Of The Looms.

On a brighter if not wetter note, I will join you in this shower of golden joy for the info in this thread is worthy of a good undie soaking aswell!

Mord.

Taken from Battlefront.com "Other vehicles, such as the Soviet BMP series have the troops back to back facing outboard. They also provide each soldier with a periscope, an environmentally sealed and waterproof firing port, brass catcher, and gas vent. Neat little things... snap right onto the side of an AK and you're good to go!"

hmmmmm........Cold war scenarios?

Steve

Not even PIATs?

There is of course the small issue that the BMP's, ah, rugged suspension system makes firing those small arms roughly as dangerous to the enemy, when in motion, as chucking the magazine straight into a lake. Also that periscope is not exactly the apex of Soviet optical technology, fogs in winter, steams up in humidity, and an itty-bitty field of vision. In Chechnya the users almost always are on top of the vehicle, firing ports and Chechen snipers be durned, it's mines they're worried about!

There's an interesting bit in the CMBB forum about how the Soviets liked the Lend-Lease Shermans because they had smoother ride, and so were easier for infantry to ride and fire from.

Apparently, they'd actually tie guys down onto the tanks as a defense against panzerfaust ambushes. Not sure if the guys tied on to the tank were more useful because they could shoot any assaulting IAT teams, or whether simply served as additional "armor". . . :eek:

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Firing ports are a bad idea anyway unless you're fighting through fall-out. In conventional warfare, infantry really ought to dismount to fight.

There were a pair of BMP-1s at the War and Peace Show.

Every time I looked at them, all I could think they were good for was shooting rioting civilians. Stupid design. Can't hold enough soldiers to make any difference, crap armour against anything but molotov coctails.