CMSF Release date announced!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeffsmith: that quote about OS X is more than a year old. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

update:

However, this info from another thread looks promising

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I run on a dual core Mac without any problems (other than me being stuck with substandard ATI video technology).

[ May 19, 2007, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Kurtz ]

Originally posted by Mars:

July ???

The full page CM:SF advertisement in July 2007 "Armchair General" magazine states: "Shiping to stores in June, 2007"

Well maybe they are WRONG!

The people making the game said July 27 so I think they would know, don't you.

Originally posted by Kurtz:

jeffsmith: that quote about OS X is more than a year old. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

update:

However, this info from another thread looks promising

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I run on a dual core Mac without any problems (other than me being stuck with substandard ATI video technology).

</font>

Gryphon, that's part of how we work. Most developers give in to what publishers (and retail) need: nice graphics to create marketing hype. So the games are designed top down - starting with the textures and adding gameplay if it fits the timeschedule ;) We work the opposite way - from bottom up: first the underlaying code, then, as the very last step, glitzy graphics. So it's part of the plan that most of the textures go into the game during the last 10% of the allotted development time.

Having said that - there is a delay between when screens are made and what the current state of the game is. So the recent screens show the status from an earlier beta build than we have right now.

Martin

Originally posted by Homo ferricus:

theres maybe a 5% chance that the demo will be out before July.

More like 0%. BFC's history is to release the demo on or after the release date, reason being that creating a demo takes time away from peparing the final code for release.

I suppose, if you really must have a demo before the main release, they could push back the main release until August 15th or so, and get the demo out on July 27th. :D

Cheers,

YD

The CMx1 demos were basically the full games locked to a couple scenarios with unecessary art stripped from them to reduce the download size. That sort'a implies that they've first got to get CMSF completed and all the bugs nailed down. Only after that can they turn to stripping it down for a demo. Oh, and if they're on such a tight deadline I wonder how much 'spare time' they're going to have to putter with a demo version.

Originally posted by Moon:

Having said that - there is a delay between when screens are made and what the current state of the game is. So the recent screens show the status from an earlier beta build than we have right now.

Martin

So I've seen this a number of times. Why is that? It seems like it would be just as easy to get a SS from the more current (and better looking) build. But what do I know?

Severin, screenshots need to be taken, selected, sometimes cropped, then the release has to be coordinated with the various partners and the press. You wouldn't believe the whining if we'd simply put up a few screens without informing a distributor in Europe for example ;)

Martin

Originally posted by General_solomon:

No its ok, I'd rather have the full game than the demo.

If not a demo, why not one of the older builds. What are the gamer websites getting to review the game?

Because beta builds have not yet been fully tested for stability & compatability. That's why they're beta builds. This is generally the last step in code development, before the code "goes gold".

Not a big deal for sending the code to a reporter for some gaming mag, who should be fairly tech-savvy, and hopefully understands that he's playing an unfinished product and that everything might not be working 100% yet.

But for something you're going to release to the general public, you need to be confident it's going to run, and run properly, on >99% of the rigs out there. That requires a lot of testing and tweaking, and is why releasing a demo significantly before full release would delay the full release for a small company like BFC, where the coding department is basically one guy. Charles can work on finishing the final tweaks/fixes to the game engine, OR he can work on paring things down to create a downloadable demo. He can't do both simultaneously.

Patience, Grasshopper. We've all been waiting this long, it's not going to kill us to wait another 9 weeks. Be happy that BFC puts so much effort into QA, rather than just releasing without sufficent testing, and then following up with a millon patches as the complaints of unstable operation roll in.

Cheers,

YD

Moon, are in possesion of any information indicating that the CM Shock force will be released just as ToW was - is it possible that preorders will include both download and boxed versions or something like that?

I believe in Battlefront and I'm seriously considering preordering this title, as no CM game turned to be dissapointment to me.

Best regards,

Maciej

Yes, this is SOP for all our releases after we launched digital delivery last summer. Pre-orders always include download & hardgood options, with the downloads being available first and hardgoods following a couple of weeks later.

Martin