Will *THIS* get OS X users "out of Bootcamp"?

Bootcamp is great. Bootcamp sucks.

While it is certainly great that OS X users can now play CM games in Bootcamp - who likes the disconnect and HD-hit of "dual-boot" life?

Will the upgrade of Parallels to 3.0 solve this problem? Will CM run on this new virtual machine? Will CM X 2 run on this new virtual machine?

Hopefully someone "offical" can test these and other questions once it comes out in a few weeks?

------------ insert edited Parallel's fodder -----

After months of intensive development, Parallels is just weeks away from releasing its latest version of the hottest Mac software. Voted Reader's Choice by MacWorld and ranked #6 on PC World's Top 100 List, Parallels Desktop for Mac continues to drive innovation and take the Mac community by storm, now with 50+ brand new features.

Like the UI integration with Coherence?

You'll love application and file integration with SmartSelect

Want to run the hottest games and graphics applications?

Enjoy 3D with support for graphics software

Run today's most popular games & applications on a Mac

Browse through Windows folders, without launching Windows

---------------------------------------

Lead from the front. -Guderian

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

Parallels still requires a Copy of Windows

As does Bootcamp . . .

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

I'd rather just reboot

and run XP directly on the Intel Hardware

Good onya mate.

For what it is worth I'd rather just play CM and CM2 natively in OS X but seems few care about that opinion.

Originally posted by H.W. Guderian:

For what it is worth I'd rather just play CM and CM2 natively in OS X but seems few care about that opinion.

Methinks that rather than upping your post count from 5 to 6 with this statement, you would have been better off searching the forum for the numerous OSX threads, including those by the developers. smile.gif

Originally posted by Becket:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by H.W. Guderian:

Methinks that rather than upping your post count from 5 to 6 with this statement, you would have been better off searching the forum for the numerous OSX threads, including those by the developers. smile.gif </font>

"I assume OS X users might have a choice to make in July - buy or wait?"

What was the name of the last Eagles Album released some time ago?

Hell Freezes Over

That's how long you will be waiting for a Universal Binary of the OS X vesion.

There is a post around here somewhere that says they will think about the possibility of an Intel only OS X version but right now I don't think they are giving it much thought.

If CM:SF runs in Windows ( in Bootcamp, still free) on a Mac OS X computer why would they bother? :confused:

And yes I am a mac user and I would really like a native OS X version and a Unvirsal Binary would be GREAT! smile.gif , but I won't be holding my breath.

-tom w

[ June 01, 2007, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by H.W. Guderian:

As far as I understand we will NEVER get an OS X native CM and it seems that the commitments made to OS X CM2 have certainly "shifted" a bit, no? I doubt anyone keen on CM2 wants to wait longer for the OS X version? But maybe I've missed some last minute forum minutiae? Which I'm sure someone will point out as my failing if it is so.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The current plan is that after a few months post CM:SF release he'll start experimenting with movnig the code over to OSX. The post release demands on us are always huge, which means effectively nothing else gets done for a period of time (probably 1-2 months). He wants to program on the Mac as his primary machine, like the old days, so it's worth investigating at least. If it seems to be too much of a hassle, we'll probably try to find someone to do the port for us. That's an iffy thing for many reasons, but theoretically viable.

If everything goes right there should be a native MacOS X (universal binary) within 4 months of CM:SF's release. So for those of you who G5s or Intel Macs without Windows will likely (not assured) eventually have a universal binary CM:SF. Lower end machines, almost certainly G4s and absolutely G3s, are going to be out of luck no matter what.

That's the plan as we see it now!

Steve

from here

[ May 31, 2007, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

Originally posted by Redwolf:

No 3D hardware acceleration support.

IIRC Parallels to 3.0 will have 3D hardware acceleration support. There are already screen shots of Quake 4 running in beta versions of version 3.0.

Personally I'm not going to buy Parallels, Boot Camp all the way. Keep Windows as far away from my OSX install as possible thank you very much.

3.0 sounds almost too good to be true, they are claiming it works with graphics intensive games.... (or so they say)

Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Coming Soon--Pre-Order Upgrade for $39.99 through June 6

Parallels will soon release Desktop 3.0 for Mac according to a note we received. Parallels is just weeks away from releasing its latest version of the hottest Mac software that runs Windows without rebooting, now with 50+ brand new features. The major new features are:

Application and file integration with SmartSelect--open any file from Windows or OS X with any program from either OS

OpenGL and DirectX support for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics in games (Vista Aero support still pending)

Snapshots for backup and recovery of virtual machines.

Pre-order the 3.0 upgrade by June 6th and get Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac for only $39.99. The regular retail price is $79.99 This exclusive, limited-time offer is available only for current Parallels customers. Beginning June 6th, Parallels customers can upgrade to 3.0 for $49.99.

We use Parallels Desktop 2.5 for Mac to run Windows XP and Windows Vista so we ordered the upgrade to v3.0. The support for 3D graphics alone is probably worth the upgrade. [bill Fox]

PARALLELS DESKTOP 3.0 FOR MAC DELIVERS:

•Completely Seamless User Experience:

Cross OS application & file integration with Parallels SmartSelect

Offline access to virtual machine files with Paralles Explorer

Coherence 2.0, including shared folders and UI enhancements

Linux Tools for seamless integration betwen Mac OS X and Linux

•Native Hardware Experience:

3D graphics support to play the hottest games and run the most popular applications

Expanded support for USB 2.0 devices

USB connection assistant quickly connects you to your OS of choice

Shared printers for cross OS printing

Significantly enhancements performance and audio quality

•Protection against Mishaps:

Hit a problem? Quickly and easily go back in time to a clean VM state

Bulletproof your VMs with SnapShots

Control the levels of integration and isolation with Security Manager

Make your virtual machine read-only

Get virus and spyware protection with a FREE 6-month Kaspersky subscription trial

I believe the 3D support when I see it. Even VMware, with a decade more experience, is still struggling with it, and badly so.

The Wine folks are doing better with hardware 3D, but they don't have a virtual machine to feed and OpenGL is pretty much transparent for them.

To do Direct3D on Linux or MacOS you have to have a Direct3D to OpenGL translator, and you have to translate every single API extension by hand. Namely, all the new programmable shaders will be a nightmare and probably not be supported for a while.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

If CM:SF runs in Windows ( in Bootcamp, still free) on a Mac OS X computer why would they bother? :confused:

Because people who have Macs probably have less interest in buying and running Windows? Bootcamp might be free, but Windows XP isn't.

Originally posted by Kurtz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Because people who have Macs probably have less interest in buying and running Windows? Bootcamp might be free, but Windows XP isn't. </font>

Yeah, that's what I meant. Money for an XP license, possibly money for a Parallels license (if it's possible to use it). Or if I use Bootcamp: having to reboot when I want to play CM. And the highest cost of all: the hassle of using Windows. Been there, done that, am not going back.

I hope CM:SF will be available for OS X, I won't bother with Windows on my Mac. It's just not worth it for me.

New Macbook Pro's released today!

apple.com macbook pro for the news, they claim they are available now.

AND Nvidia Video cards!

Video and graphics support

15-inch MacBook Pro:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support, 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM on 2.2GHz configuration;

AND

256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM on 2.4GHz configuration

They should run windows and bootcamp and CM:SF JUST fine! with up to 4 gigs of optional RAM

:D

-tom w

[ June 05, 2007, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• 3 weeks later...

The Answer appears to be NO

"So is Parallels Desktop for Mac 3 worth it, purely from a gamer’s perspective? No. The penalty in performance and the lack of compatibility with any DirectX 9-compatible games really hurts Parallels’ usefulness for gamers."

from here