Thinking outside the box - Do not flame!

GRUMLIN

What do we all love about the CMX series? For me, its the chance to go head to head with a human opponent and use tactics and strategy to win. That lucky roll when a small AT gun takes down a Tiger. A single infantry unit going postal in defence and mowing down hordes of assaulting sovs. Timing your arty barrage just right to finish as your first men walk into the dazed enemy.

But......could BFC make it even better in the future by licensing the engine to companies like Games Workshop? If I could play CM style tactics against Orks and Space Marines, heaven would be here......

I'm at least an armchair fan of Warhammer 40k, and was/am a fan of BattleTech, so no flames from me smile.gif

Still, unless the rules part of CMx2 can be easily adapted to use non-reality based rules or the target game (e.g. W40k) adapted to use real physics-based rules (without becoming a different game), it would seem a poor fit.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy being proven wrong by the release of such a beast smile.gif

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you asking for a CM table top game a la Warhammer 40k? Or are you asking them to make a Warhammer computer game using the CMx2 engine?

I would urge anybody against licensing anything to Games Work shop. That is unless you want your game broken down into a hundred different modules which they will then proceed to sell to you for the small fare of ONE BIIIILION DOLLARS! (queue Dr. Evil voice)

games workshop charge alot less than the vast majority of places. certainly alot less and i mean alot less than farsa and co charged for battletech stuff. yes it would be fun and would make a good fit. there was a half decent turn based strategy game, but they forced it to be hex based so it sucked.

Originally posted by roqf77:

games workshop charge alot less than the vast majority of places.

Bwa haa haa haaaaaarrrdiii haaaaaarrr oooomph..

oh wait - were you being serious?

{I feel a rant coming on}

Their plastics are priced ok, but they have the most expensive 25mm figures I've seen!

$50 (US) for 5x25/28mm figures (Terminators) is paramount to extortion. $40 (US) for a 1/50 scale mostly plactic, some pewter tank is just silly!

I have to somewhat shamelessly admit that I do have a pretty big space marine army - but the reason is it is a quick and fun way to introduce people to wargaming. (Plus a newb can comfortably go to a nice clean friendly GW store instead of a smelly, intimidating 'real' wargaming /hobbie store.)

But I also have a pretty nice selection of 25/28mm WWII Russian troops that cost me 1/4 the price of the GW stuff. Not to mention FFL, BOERs, ZULU's etc...

GW has to pay for their fancy stores, their conventions, Golden Whatever awards, fancy red shirts etc... someone like Bolt Action (http://www.boltactionminiatures.co.uk/) makes a high quality non B.S. product at a fair price. (£4 for 4 figures)

Anyways - sorry for the flaming rant - its Friday and I need a long weekend. Thank God for Labour Day!

[Edit - Grammar is not my friend]

[ September 02, 2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: J Ruddy ]

Originally posted by Canuck:

That is unless you want your game broken down into a hundred different modules which they will then proceed to sell to you for the small fare of ONE BIIIILION DOLLARS! (queue Dr. Evil voice)

Why settle for Billions when you could have, say... MILLIONS?

Actually, it's the other way around. We would be interested in THEM licensing us the W40K property so we could do a game for them. ;)

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy or affordable to get the license rights.

Dawn of War is an excellent game though if you want a quick Warhammer fix.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Actually, it's the other way around. We would be interested in THEM licensing us the W40K property so we could do a game for them. ;)

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy or affordable to get the license rights.

Dawn of War is an excellent game though if you want a quick Warhammer fix.

Madmatt

Dawn of War is fun, for an RTS smile.gif Like all RTSes (for me), it doesn't offer near the lasting fun, replay or excitement of games like the Combat Mission series.

Now if I could get my Mac copy of CMBB to work on my PC (*grumble*OS X*grumble*)... alas, I'll just wait for and then drool over CMx2 shots until there's a new CM product to buy smile.gif

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy or affordable to get the license rights....

The computer gaming market is pretty healthy, but there appears to be surprisingly little IP litigation in this area. :confused: (this ignores hardware, such as makers of video cards, etc.)

Not that I would advise any client to ignore the IP rights of others. Instead, I wonder if the gaming industry is more collegial than other technology industries.

We have no plans to license the code. That is a pretty involved and intensive thing. What you license to a 3rd party must be supported, with all the development pressures that go along with that. It really isn't possible for a small group like us to do that. Much easier to license other people's intellectual property and make the game ourselves. But for some reason IP holders tend to want a lot of money up front. Did I mention our size? :D

Steve