DT 2

poesel

I was being a bit fed with DT not getting any updates anymore. So I sat down in my sparetime and made my own next version of DT.

So far I've got the landscape and basic model movement. I'll have to do the collision models next which should take a few days.

My question: what would you expect to be...

Nah, only joking ;)

Since we know from 152 that Clay is working on the next version, I asked him how that would handle the 3D models. DT2 will use collada files. These can be exported by Blender and thats very good news. There will also be editors for the XML files. These files will change a lot, so we probably can't reuse the old ones.

We shouldn't expect anything before 2009 however. Which means I can wait with buying my new Mac until then.

So we have to somehow kill the time until 2009. Any proposals? ;)

Well, we could try machinima, like I suggested in the DropTeam PR topic. If we're able to make it big on YouTube and other video sharing sites (yes, there are video sites other than YouTube!), DT could get a tsunami of publicity (not to mention ad revenues). I'm already working on a plot and am bringing together a storyline. Then there's SquidLord and the possibility of video capture of the Sunday games for one of his podcasts. Or we could do a fan fiction. Or we could get a TeamSpeak server up and running for more server bandwidth and more publicity.

It's called Drop Team Alpha. When I saw the 2 videos linked to above, I was pretty stunned, as I had gotten to them while searching under "DropTeam". I think some wise guy guest to this forum saw my idea for a DT machinima and decided to apply the term to a game better known in the world of machinima.

A new Drop Team? Excellent!

Here is my general game format wish list:

-Asymmetric forces, with at least 4 different Space Viking clans (player custom-able clans would be awesome). These clans could have plenty of sub-tribes and alliances. (Just look at the Middle East for an example of this).

-The return of Mu Arae forces (more powerful units, but very few in number) to reassert control of the Rim.

-A campaign universe were victories/losses influence control in a planet system.

-Random map generator.

Great list, Grunt, but it looks like DT 2 is headed towards the WWII genre. I think it's a horrible mistake, but we don't have any real control, I'm afraid (aside from making something that becomes an YouTube hit involving DropTeam that kindles interest for more of the original game's elements).

Originally posted by 152mmDumbRocket:

Great list, Grunt, but it looks like DT 2 is headed towards the WWII genre. I think it's a horrible mistake, but we don't have any real control, I'm afraid (aside from making something that becomes an YouTube hit involving DropTeam that kindles interest for more of the original game's elements).

Ah, that is too bad. I prefer sci-fi to WWII.

Regardless of what the setting is I want:

1) an internet independent LAN party mode, especially for the demo.

Although I´m not really the age for LANs anymore, I think the de facto impossibility of LAN partying severely reduced the original DT´s appeal.

2) a re-think on post release development

As cool as post release development was in DT, I think it would have been better to do this "parallel" to the game. The game at the time of upstarts vs. devs was essentially a finished product. All later updates while adding cool bells and whistles also led to many loose ends like server instability, higher bandwidth, people not being able to join (see Phantom´s problem), sound in linux not compatible to mac/windows etc. I think DT would be very well suited to have a basic game and a dev mod in which new updates can be tested without nerfing the stable base game.

Posted by Imperial Grunt

Ah, that is too bad. I prefer sci-fi to WWII.

Me too, at least in gaming. jby, good ideas, but these improvements will count for naught if the WWII genre turns bust. The only way a WWII game is not old hat is if it's about an alternate history (like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty). I've already given my ideas about a WWII DropTeam, but they might not work out or not be used. By the way, Grunt, we have online battles on Wednesdays around 8 PM EST, as well as the old time for Sundays. Think you could join us on either date? ;)

Posted by Imperial Grunt

I wonder if there is any chance of Battlefront considering modern era instead of WWII?

They already have with Combat Mission: Shock Force. But, if they could come up with something like Steel Beasts, they might have something. I already play it and think the basic idea could be taken out of the military sim genre. Give it a more shooter/RTS approach like that used in DropTeam, brush up graphics, allow more players and virtual units (VUs), as well as get some stable servers, and they could have a good game.

Edit: By the way, Imperial Grunt, I've got an Angry German Kid spoof up on the forums: http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000497

I've hit writer's block on this project, and I've been trying to get Jung to read it and add his own parts to it, but he hasn't had the time. Think you could look it over and add your own parts? It would be great if you could. smile.gif

[COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED]

[ June 02, 2008, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Something like this game would be really cool for DT 2. I think WWII is way overdone by this point. Fuel of War

Fuel of War would be a great game, but it is just another first-person shooter with not much realism in terms of physics and tactical game play, like DT strives to be. But the premise of an East vrs West conventional war over resources is perfect for DT 2, and it would allow for the latest technology and some future technology to be in the game, for assymetric forces, unlimited terrain types, etc...

A near-future modern game gives you alot of what DT already has, plus more realism.

Even a 80s era NATO-WARSAW Pact game would be alot better than WWII.

Does Clay still read the forum?

Posted by Imperial Grunt

Fuel of War would be a great game, but it is just another first-person shooter with not much realism in terms of physics and tactical game play, like DT strives to be.

Yeah, it's a FPS, but it does have some physics (such as dynamic buildings that can be blown up), and some great tactical concepts as well.

Posted by Imperial Grunt

Even a 80s era NATO-WARSAW Pact game would be alot better than WWII.

For that, there's always Steel Beasts, but I doubt the average gamer (I'm talking about the average gamer here, not in the wider world) would be willing to spend $125 for a military sim still used by the majority of Europe's armies.

Posted by Imperial Grunt

Does Clay still read the forum?

I don't think so. He's too busy with DT 2, I assume.

[EDITED BY ADMIN (commercial link removed)]

[ June 02, 2008, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]