Should we use a gaming VoIP system?

152mmDumbRocket

I'm just wondering whether or not we should use a VoIP gaming comm. system in DropTeam. Sure, the push-to-talk feature in-game is fine, but it requires the recipient to wait the entire time you're transmitting. I have experience with TeamSpeak from a game called Steel Beasts, and I know a guy on the SB forums who used to be on the Battlefront forums as Chainsaw.

This idea has promise. On a TS server, channels and sub-channels can be created for anything, from in game channels and sub-channels to places to discuss strategy, to places to just get away from everyone else. A server for something like TS would also help put our beloved game on the map, since in TS at least there is a search function for public TS servers on the web.

So I can't help but wonder: Should we or should we not use a VoIP gaming comm. system like TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Xfire, or something else? As for a TS server, I would bring that together, if I had time and a budget (like the DP Destroyer server I mentioned in the Bloody Sunday topic). Now I shall dive into my bag of computer goodies, and bring forth...well, I won't go as far as to say that a TS server could be made for only $500, but I'll give it a shot.

Here we go:

</font>

The final price: $475. I guess I am a wizard. :D

Well, if you have any doubts, check out TeamSpeak's website:

http://www.teamspeak.com/

It's proprietary freeware, so cost shouldn't be an issue. It comes in Windows and Linux versions, and has an unofficial Mac version. You just need a microphone. My laptop has stereo mics for its webcam system, which I normally use when playing DT. But for Steel Beasts, I use a Logitech microphone that is serving me well.

Posted by jby

One good thing about TS would be that we would save bandwidth for the actual game (assuming that the in game chat is routed via the server)

Routing voice chat through the server might be a factor in why kim2 was never able to understand my voice transmissions.

Using a lower end Mac myself (G4 PPC - not past this summer I hope), I've found running TS in the background lowered the frame rate of WWII online. I would be more then willing to try it with DropTeam, as I have a feeling most of our issuse are server related rather than hardware issues.

Sounds good, now all we have to do is get a server up and running. By the way, if you want people to be able to connect to the server, you should make its IP address known. All a person basically needs to connect is a user name and knowledge of the IP address of the server they want to go to, if I recall correctly. And don't worry about ease of use, TeamSpeak's interface is so intuitive it makes Mac OS X look like something Jobs wrote on a napkin while drunk. :rolleyes: