When does DropTeam take place?

152mmDumbRocket

I would guess this around 2500-3000AD, this gives the human race enough time to propagate itself amongst many of the stars and have sufficient technology to do so effectively, plus within 100 years I'm sure we will all have injectable nanobots to improve eyesight, blood oxygen, and whatnot. So, if nano-technology and nano-construction is a hand-me-down tech from someones grandpa that that someone doesn't understand as well as his grandpa did because his grandpa got it from his father, that means about 100 years for **** to hit the fan in the galaxy before the clan warfare-ish stuff happens. And yes, I am a Military Sci-Fi writer as a hobby and hope to publish a book sometime, so if you want I could spend some time thinking of ways to fill the gaps in this story smile.gif

It's great to hear you're a Sci-Fi writer. smile.gif I've dabbled in Sci-Fi myself and had been thinking about putting up a fanfic on these forums, but didn't think anyone would be enthusiastic about it. Let's get to work! Here are some ideas about what could we call the fanfic, feel free to suggest your ideas:

</font>

• Iridium Tide</font>
  • Raiders of the Lost Memory</font>

For a plot, try reading the background story behind DropTeam (you can find that on DropTeam's website, or in your manuals, both electronic and paper, depending on which you have), then we'll work together to iron it out. Oh, and one suggestion: Don't use profanity here. These forums are actively moderated by real people, unlike so many other forums you may be familiar with. :rolleyes: And they don't take their jobs lightly. ;)

Well don't tell them admins about tourettesguy.com lol.

Yeah, I wrote a short story in the Aliens universe, after the 2nd movie before the 3rd. To explain it not being mentioned in the 3rd and 4th movies, Marines encounter more Xenomorphs on another planet, a mining colony and the military and company kept it sealed tight with only the people who were at the incident and like 5 others know about it, and they all die with that knowledge. It focuses on more combat than horror. Might post it amongst my others.

Next up, I need to be much more familiar with the Drop Team universe, so far I get a clan warfare feeling like MechWarrior had, like how other clans traded hopewell their AFV's and bought dishonor on themselves was said in the first briefing. I'll read up in the manual and site.

I'm actually leaning towards 3000+AD for the time period of the DT universe. It would have to be pretty distanced from today to help explain the absence of Earth references beyond the use of mythological deities as vehicle names. The reverse in technology is reminiscent of the Dark Ages compared to the Roman Empire - did you know that the Roman had steam engines? However in the Dark Ages there were constant references to Rome, but in the DT world we hear very little of Earth, causing me to think that it must have been a pretty long dark age out in the Rim worlds.

[ May 08, 2008, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Junglist ]

Posted by Jung

It would have to be pretty distanced from today to help explain the absence of Earth references beyond the use of mythological deities as vehicle names

Actually, there is a reference to Earth in the map description for Bloody Iwo, where it talks about the terrain being similar to an "ancient Terran battle", causing the place to be nicknamed "Iwo Jima". So Earth isn't as far from the minds of the Liveship crews as you think.

Posted by Jung

Unless I'm mistaken, Bloody Iwo was a player generated map.

You're right, now that I think of it. Hub made that scenario and several other favorites, which is why while others bow to Nexus, I do so to Hub. I would really like to see that map (and several others) brought back in 1.3.6 (assuming that is coming).

I've been trying to work with poesel to bring back that map, among others, on my computer, but my complete newness to this, which you might have noticed in the "running a linux dedicated server" topic, has prevented me from doing so. So far, he hasn't responded to my latest cry for help. Could you help me? I've found /data, but I don't know from where to dump.