The Wednesday Night Fight!

Junglist

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by jby

I remember Redcon once tried to seal off the base on ice mpa by throwing up walls at the entrances. Didn´t work too well, we still managed to sqeak through at an unexpected moment smile.gif

That was rather stupid. Who would want to seal themselves in the Ice Field fort with walls, when infantry can jump the walls and have fun in an enclosed space? On another note, if we do play together on Sunday, jby, I'll be happy to be shoveling alongside you. Digging with the cutter, I've found, is very relaxing. It gives you a way to control the landscape to halt and hinder the opponent.

Originally posted by 152mmDumbRocket:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Posted by jby

I remember Redcon once tried to seal off the base on ice mpa by throwing up walls at the entrances. Didn´t work too well, we still managed to sqeak through at an unexpected moment smile.gif

That was rather stupid. Who would want to seal themselves in the Ice Field fort with walls, when infantry can jump the walls and have fun in an enclosed space? </font>

Posted by poesel

Man this sounds like granpas telling stories from the war... ;)

It sure does. Will you be able to make it this Sunday? We've had some awesome games these past 2 weeks, including the incredible "me and Ruaanith vs the world" CTF game at Slug Fest, where Ruaanith and I fought Jung, Stonewall, Foxbat, and a relative newcomer named kim2, and actually won on points alone. :eek:

Another epic battle was Recon In Force last Sunday, with me and Stonewall vs. kim2 and Ruaanith. (Check the Bloody Sunday topic)

Well, no one showed today. That's the way it is. So, in an effort to keep up attendance, who's free for next Wednesday? And Sunday? On another topic, I've just started the Campaign mode and have completed the first 2 missions. Not particularly hard, very interesting as a leader, and some nice background story and big maps of Hopewell. Anyone got any tips to survive the next missions? From looking on the forums, it seems a lot of people didn't get past the 3rd or 4th missions.

Finally, I put up a topic in the DT Demo forum back at the beginning of the month asking some questions out of curiosity. Could someone give me some feedback on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say cheers for the multi-player games. Though haven't been many on the last couple of weeks it was great fun to be co-oping and even on wireless there was no lags present - very efficient too.

Anyway, hope to see you this Wednesday too - and yay - digging is much enjoyable :)

We'll be starting at 7:30 PM EST, MiR. I'll see you there.;) And kim2 might show up as well. In case you don't know, mate, kim2 has been playing online since early March, but is still considered to be a bit of a newb (for instance, insisting on capturing enemy buildings on CTF at New Yosemite this Sunday, even though there are no AA towers). It should be interesting to see how things go, eh?

Posted by missinginreality

Anyway, hope to see you this Wednesday too - and yay - digging is much enjoyable:)

It certainly is.:) See you online.

Well, when I joined, kim2 and Ithai were on Black Canyon. We managed to put in 6 flags, after Ithai had left and missinginreality hopped on. But the Raid round was quite nice. There, I taught MiR how to mount and dismount infantry in a failed attempt to capture the NW ion tower. Although the game became a seesaw battle in the last 10 minutes, we triumphed anyway. I'm really looking forward to Sunday, and playing with MiR, kim2, and good old jby.:cool:

Maate - incoming artillery rounds put me off twisting the wires together in that Ion tower :) Yep, was a good triumph om the end - gonna have to practice with those Eng squads a bit more. The ride in with your Paladin was a neat hop - next time though can you try and avoid the potholes - my boys were well shaken after that..hmmm, maybe that's why they were slow getting in the Ion tower?

Can't really get in on Sundays coz it's bad time of the night here but see you next Weds.

Cheers for the game and Kim 2

Here's a little explanation for you. With the current version of DropTeam (1.3.5), 120mm HE rounds are counted as artillery. So while I was trying to distract them, a 120mm Apollo and a 120mm Thor shot up their own ion tower to kill your guys. But I did kill both their Bacchuses (Paladin SAMs).:cool:

next time though can you try and avoid the potholes - my boys were well shaken after that..hmmm, maybe that's why they were slow getting in the Ion tower?

No, that wasn't it, but there is something that can shake infantry, and that's when a 120mm HE or mortar round comes down. If it doesn't kill, it usually results in the infantry stopping and clearing their visors, and this weakness is often taken advantage of by a 120mm Apollo, for instance. If it has HE chambered, it'll fire 1 HE round at the infantry to suppress them. The troops that aren't killed are sitting ducks for the Apollo's 14mm coax gun.

The ride in with your Paladin was a neat hop - next time though can you try and avoid the potholes

Believe me, that's actually a smooth ride. There are plenty of maps where the ride is bumpier. Try Slug Fest in CTF mode sometime and see what I mean. And I'll see you next Wednesday, mate. Speaking of which: jby, could you make it next Wednesday?

Yep was a good call to get rid of the SAM's, and my bad for not getting my boys into the tower quick enough so they didn't see me :( Still, if they're going to shoot up their own Ion tower not much I could've done about it I guess. Still seemed hard to actually walk them straight into the tower mind even without the arty rounds messing up the visors! But as it happened I guess it worked out that I was a distraction to their heavy guns that let you take out the SAMs maybe?

One thing I have noticed in experimenting is that troop units spread themselves out waaaaay too much even when given multiple "less spacing" orders, they still seem to fly all over the place :(

Was good team work in that battle though mate, as you said in your last post - see-sawing, but we eventually made it through in the end :)

Still, if they're going to shoot up their own Ion tower not much I could've done about it I guess.

You're right. The ion tower can only take about 15 120mm HE rounds before going down, so they were under pressure to kill you before you captured or the tower went down.

But as it happened I guess it worked out that I was a distraction to their heavy guns that let you take out the SAMs maybe?

Yes, your distraction was a key factor, given I was facing an Apollo, a Thor, and the 2 Paladin SAMs. With their attention drawn to you, I was able to knock out the air cover. After I had dismounted you, I moved around the base to the W while looking for targets of opportunity. That was part of the plan. Your getting completely killed in the ion tower was not. Which brings me to one of the most important abilities need to play this game: to be able to adapt quickly when something doesn't go right, and believe me, something will not go right, or else there's no shooting going on. In Wednesday's case, with main air cover brought down by me, we were able to go straight to a 2 prong attack from the NE and NW. Look in the archives for some other posts I've done on adapting quickly.

Posted by you

and my bad for not getting my boys into the tower quick enough so they didn't see me :(

I think I know why the defenders spotted you. If you had fired your jets (the X button), they would have been able to see you with their sensors. If you had simply crept up to the ion tower without firing jets, you would have been almost impossible to spot and we could have had the ion tower. If you want, I can teach you more about infantry, and maybe we could work together with infantry squads in the Wednesday battles.

I think I know why the defenders spotted you. If you had fired your jets (the X button), they would have been able to see you with their sensors. If you had simply crept up to the ion tower without firing jets, you would have been almost impossible to spot and we could have had the ion tower. If you want, I can teach you more about infantry, and maybe we could work together with infantry squads in the Wednesday battles.

Yep spot on there 152, I was getting impatient walking up the hill! Thought a little hop would be OK but, as I noted in last, squad jumped all over the place and went over the ridge. Next time I know to keep creeping :)

Yes cheers for the offer, would be good to work a bit more with infantry coz they seem to be pretty useful at times, especially being able to hitch rides. Am practicing getting into and out of buildings at the mo coz that seems to be a bit hit and miss for me right now.

Thought a little hop would be OK but, as I noted in last, squad jumped all over the place and went over the ridge. Next time I know to keep creeping :)

Yes, when you use the jump jets, the bot squadmates use them too, and they do not have any self control when they're jetting. I dropped you off close enough to the tower so that you could creeped on up to it.

Posted by you

Am practicing getting into and out of buildings at the mo coz that seems to be a bit hit and miss for me right now.

Here's a tip that will make it much easier: To get out of a building, press the B button, just like you did to get out of my Paladin on Wednesday. To get into a building can be a little tricky, but keep trying and you'll get in, no worries.

Cheers, think I got the buildings thing sorted now after much practice so next time that Ion tower is ours :) Oh and here's a neat ting, just found out troops can get into AI vehicles too.Neat.

One thing bugs me with troops that even at pointblank sitting behind a Thor, 6 ATG failed to take it out :(

Oh and here's a neat ting, just found out troops can get into AI vehicles too.Neat.

Not precisely. You can only get into and ride the 20mm, 76mm, and Ion Paladins. While you get into the framework of other units and buildings, it's not something I recomend if you're going to watch out for enemy vehicles, since the experience can be quite disorienting. Sometimes, I can't get the troops out of non-captureable buildings.

Posted by you

One thing bugs me with troops that even at pointblank sitting behind a Thor, 6 ATG failed to take it out :(

I know your pain. The Thor's rear is oddly shaped, and depending on the distance, you can fail to penetrate. I personally have more success with grenading Thors from the side. Also, an AT Grenade is not a silver bullet. It's just a small HEAT round fired from a launcher. Sometimes it can take 6 of them to stop a vehicle, sometimes more than that, and sometimes only 1.

P.S. Mate- The stated effective maximum range for AT Grenades is 300 meters, but that's only the maximum range at which the AI squadmates will fire. If the target's staying still, you can get kills at much farther ranges. My all time record for an AT Grenade kill in a normal atmosphere environ is 728 meters on an AA Missile turret (the deployable kind, can reach out to a few kilometers, but is extremely vulnerable) at Twin Peaks. My all time unlimited AT Grenade kill is 991 meters on Clavain's Watch on a Thor's side armor with 1 shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this Wednesday turned out to be the biggest one yet, in terms of turnout. Here's who participated: (Note, all games were co-op)

Me

kim2

Phonan

Ithai

orenmn

Phonan whupped kim2 and me on Ice Field. From there it was co-op madness. That's all. (If you're wondering why I'm so abrupt, it's because I'm hungry.)

Darn,sorry I missed it, sounded like an epic!

Yeah, it was. Especially Phonan's Viper terror, and the ATGMs of doom. Kim, I had to turn around right at the critical moment yesterday because Phonan dropped infantry behind us. And no one wants to think they're about to take the base when Phonan riddles their rear with AT grenades.

Psoted by oren_m

It sure was a great game, i joined for the last 3 ones and it was pure fun.

Lots of arty berrages and armor combat, those heavy MBT's just w'ont die!! :)

Actually, they do die, so be careful with them. But tomorrow never dies.:cool: I won't be around for today's games, but I'll be here for the Sunday rounds, no question about it. Let us know how today's games go.