The Wednesday Night Fight!

Junglist

Well i don't know about you folks [152mm, kim2 and i forget the last drop in - shadow?? wall?? something, sorry mate,] but I had a blast on this weeks Wednesday Night melee. Last map especially was a good hard-won victory, clawing back against all odds right at the end there. Was disappointed y'all bugged out before we started Dead Gulch coz I been playing that map all week and had some great strategies; was stoked when it came up as the next map, then downer that no-one was left to play it. Oh hum that's the way it goes.

Anyway, was a lot of fun.Even trying to fly a Viper with a ping of 650 was fun!

yup, well sorry to kim2 for the early EMP drop on Archipelago; my bad that I gave notice but didn't wait for an OK before I dropped it in.

And then the next round seemed my EMP went a bit wide of the mark and nailed both kim2 and 152. Apols again for that; had to do it on the command map coz my merc got nailed by arty and couldn't get a visual on the objective area. But felt I redeemed myself by nailing that MBT in the last minute with a 20mm which suprised the heck out of me!

Now then 152mm - wanna share just how you capped the objective AA without an engineer in your squad? That was a pretty bold move running across the objective with an MBT crossfire!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by missinginreality

ast map especially was a good hard-won victory, clawing back against all odds right at the end there. Was disappointed y'all bugged out before we started Dead Gulch coz I been playing that map all week and had some great strategies; was stoked when it came up as the next map, then downer that no-one was left to play it. Oh hum that's the way it goes.

Well, I was late for dinner, and I thought the newest Mythbusters episode was on. Turns out it wasn't.

Posted by you

Anyway, was a lot of fun.Even trying to fly a Viper with a ping of 650 was fun!

Ouch on the ping, mate. Watch out for Phonan, he's dangerous with that thing. He likes to use it to hoist you up and then drop you.

Posted by youAnd then the next round seemed my EMP went a bit wide of the mark and nailed both kim2 and 152. Apols again for that; had to do it on the command map coz my merc got nailed by arty and couldn't get a visual on the objective area. But felt I redeemed myself by nailing that MBT in the last minute with a 20mm which suprised the heck out of me!

Don't worry. If you don't get line of sight to the target, the strike will be less accurate, so it's no surprise. Remember me telling you that the 20mm was a chainsaw? It is, and at close range, it can kill a Thor from the side pretty quickly.

Posted by you

Now then 152mm - wanna share just how you capped the objective AA without an engineer in your squad? That was a pretty bold move running across the objective with an MBT crossfire!

Here's how I made that miracle. I hit Control-N to bring up the squad menu, and checked the hold position option. This caused the other infantry, including the engineer, to wait on the top of the hill, while I took 1 grunt at a time on my runs to the tower. 1 grunt is a lot harder to notice than a whole squad. I got killed 2 times, but the 3rd time I succeeded in making it into the tower. And this is where a awesome thing comes into play: If you get 1 grunt into a building, the other grunts in your squad will be teleported right to you, including the engineer.

Sometimes you have to be bold. When it works, it's called audacity. When it doesn't, it gets called retarded. I did lose 2 grunts in my tower capture run, but the 3rd one did get in, and the capture was completed. Plus, infantry in buildings can still fire on enemy units; while capturing, my infantry killed 1 Shrike.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I'm certain of is that I beat Jung at Dead Gulch with a good series of turret drops, and I sent a parting gift to him just before I left his set-up at Forsaken, as I sent down fire, brimstone, and smoke on his base.

The only thing I'm certain of is that I beat Jung at Dead Gulch with a good series of turret drops, and I sent a parting gift to him just before I left his set-up at Forsaken, as I sent down fire, brimstone, and smoke on his base.

So you beat him with your own turrets drops on Dead Gulch? I've done it before, and in doing so made an all new type of turret drop. Feel free to ask me about it sometime. We have online battles on Sunday at 3 PM EST (GMT -4), and on Wednesday at 7:30 PM EST. Think you could join us for Sunday? If you do, watch out for me. ;) And was your battle with Jung today?

P.S. Oren_m and Stonewall showed up tonight, and we had some good games. Stoney said he might make it Sunday. How many others can make it? Ani? Kim? jby? And I hope that Schturm guy can make it too. He said he plays DropTeam on a LAN with his friends. Imagine if all of them could make it to our games! :)

Now, I must say I'm a little confused by this comment. First off I don't remember ever playing anyone by the name of ok0510 anytime recently. Perhaps you play under a different name? Also, from what I remember (and there is a chance I'm wrong), I haven't lost any 1 on 1 games, where both players were involved from the deployment stage on, in quite a long time. I might be wrong but I think the last time I actually lost a 2 player game was on the Forsaken map a while back, where I was attacking and 152 was defending.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Yurch and Nexus, from the olden times, were the only players who downright scared me, and jby is the only current player I need to be soberish to beat. If anyone wants to see if they can get their bots in line and prove me a liar, I'll attempt to be online for a while today in the afternoon or the evening, feel free to check the server and drop in.

Of course this is all about objective/territory type maps. Capture the flag is, well, capture the flag.

Posted by Jung

Now, I must say I'm a little confused by this comment. First off I don't remember ever playing anyone by the name of ok0510 anytime recently. Perhaps you play under a different name?

It's news to me too. I'd love to have some fun with him sometime, assuming he plays the game. And ok0510, what's your in-game name? Mine's the same name you see here.

Posted by Jung

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Yurch and Nexus, from the olden times, were the only players who downright scared me, and jby is the only current player I need to be soberish to beat.

In that case, I'd be terrified if either showed up. Right now, Jung always scares me. With jby, I tend to get complacent, and beaten. :D

Posted by Jung

If anyone wants to see if they can get their bots in line and prove me a liar, I'll attempt to be online for a while today in the afternoon or the evening, feel free to check the server and drop in.

My addendum: If anyone else other than Jung and another player joins, I will too, to keep the sides balanced. 2v2 with Jung and 2 others sounds quite good to me.

*Throws down glove*

All right, Jung, that's it! I know I can't beat you, but, um.........................................

Okay, never mind. It's going to be a while till I'm able to play. But on a serious note, we do need to have a tournament methinks. I should I hope be able to make it to some more games these days, though Wednesdays are sort of out. I really want to get back to playing this game again. I think a tournament would accomplish two things:

1) get people playing

2) get people's egos involved, which contributes to 1)

So I am now dead serious. Tournament time?

And Jung, though I can't fight atm, I should be able to go at it sometime this weekend. Want to set a time?

PS- Jung, this in no way is meant to suggest delusions of grandeur. I am willing to get trounced, though- please, let's play.

I was just on the server where I found someone. I'd seen that someone was on the server and had gone to see if it was Jung. It turned out to be a guy named OverHead. He was a newb, period, who didn't talk at all throughout the entire round. I was playing as Water, and had no trouble seizing the base, despite his mining the back door, (this was on Raid) and he made some bad mistakes (dropping a Bacchus in full view of my ad hoc defense is a bad idea). He left just before the round ended, so sorry Jung if I robbed you of an opponent. :o

Another newb like RAT@$$ perhaps? Speaking of which, haven't seen him since February.

Overhead has been around on and off for quite awhile...but he has never been very talkative.

Phonan, I'll be quite busy this weekend so I'm not sure I can set a time yet. Do you have Monday off? If so I could go early sometime Monday perhaps. What do yo think?

• 2 weeks later...
That was fun last night guys. When you have at least 4 players, like we did last night, Dropteam is still a damn fun game.
Oh yeah.

Forsaken: Jung was right, my joining him on defense was unbalanced. But it did save the base from death by mortar, and the craters made great hiding places.

Ice Field: I've got to stop being complacent. From now on, I'll keep AA up no matter what, do more bot wrangling instead of wandering out to shoot up Jung's rear, and maybe more than 1 infantry squad ready. When I killed Jung's grunt with my assault rifle to the knee, I should have said, "Boom knee shot!" Also, I should have extracted a few of kim2's turrets in the deployment phase. He had those turrets all over the place, and not all of them were necessary. I can't fault ourselves elsewhere, though. We had mines in some good places, and didn't neglect sensors.

• 3 weeks later...