• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
__Yossarian0815[jby]

WWII Dropteam

that would also be cool, but DT WWII was announced a year ago, thus:

Clay: "Where am I?"

jby: "In the BFC forum."

Clay: "What do you want?"

jby: "Information on DT WWII."

Clay: "Whose side are you on?"

jby: "blood, no, water, um, never mind... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

...to be continued...

I sent an email to BF when the server went down awhile back and - if I recall correctly - I was told by Clay and Madmatt separately that updates were forthcoming, but nothing here since then.

I thought of a great design for DT WWII. Why not call it DT WWII: Blended Boundaries, and make it a game where each player has intensive control over his avatar?

Here's what I mean:

The player should be able to create his own soldier, select the uniform, select a helmet, and decide on the weapons he could carry in these categories:

Main Weapon (Assault Rifle [Yes they had one back then!], Rifle, Carbine, Sub-Machine Gun, or Light Machine Gun)

Maximum number: 1

Auxiliary (Rifle Grenade Launcher, Bayonet)

Maximum Number: N/A

Sidearm (Any Pistol of the period)

Maximum Number: 2

Grenades (Any from the period)

Maximum Number: 6

Anti-Tank: (Any from the period)

Maximum Number: 1

Then the player could play on any battle ground from WWII and a few possible ones, such as one in Ireland, under the historical assumption that Germany launched a diversionary attack in Ireland to facilitate the invasion of Great Britain. From there, the player should be able to create a online squad with the standard loadout just described and fight with other squads for a yearly championship.

Vehicles

The focus of the game should be on infantry and although jeeps of various kinds and infantry carriers from Bren gun carriers to half tracks of various kinds can be used, no tanks should be allowed.

That's all I have to say on this prospect.

Originally posted by jby

Sounds complicated 152:)

Yes, jby, but I was aiming for depth. And those aren't all of the details, but I'll leave finalization of those when and if Battlefront ever contacts me about my concept. smile.gif

Since no one's had anything more to say, I'll pick up where I left off. Additions to what I laid out earlier: Armored cars will be allowed, as will field guns. Health packs can be thrown out, but once someone's killed, there is no reviving and they will have to respawn. Ammo can also be thrown out. And in a change from normal WWII games, the players can have their own maps ordered of other locations in which to fight. I know of some great maps from Steel Beasts that would look quite nice in DT WWII: Blended Boundaries, which brings me to another maps option: to fight on the same battlefields more than 60 years after the fact!

In another dimension, aircraft will be allowed, but only for landing troops and supplies. This opens up some great possibilities, such as having the player spawn on a glider in the middle of D-Day or Arnhem, flying down with the glider and taking a random amount of damage when he lands. Finally, anti-aircraft guns are also allowed to counter the air transports and gliders. As a bonus, the players could also fly and land the Messerschmitt 323 Gigant for some real thrills!

That's what I would like to know, is there any news about this expansion?

Well, Clay said they were hard at work on it back in May. No word since, and I'm still waiting to hear back from him about when DP will be back up.

Sign in to follow this