next steps for DT

poesel

Well, we have a (long) wishlist but there are two things that would IMHO do the most to improve gameplay.

First thing would be asymmetrical per scenario inventories. That means that for each scenario every side (blood,water) can have a seperate inventory of vehicles. That would enable scenario designers to create much more exciting settings.

Only problem would be that some scenarios can only be played with certain mods.

Second thing would be connected campaigns. That means that the result of one scenario does influence which scenario will be played next. Scenarios are connected like a chain and whichever side reaches the other end of the chain has won the campaign.

Another option which may be combined with the above is that the outcome of a scenario does also influence the inventories of the next scenario. A marginal victory would result in equal powers for the next scenario while a decisive victory would reduce the loosers numbers in the next setting.

Nothing of this is new and there are of course many other things we could wish for but these are IMHO changes that would bring DT to another level.

First thing would be asymmetrical per scenario inventories. That means that for each scenario every side (blood,water) can have a seperate inventory of vehicles.
That has already been present for some time and I can't wait for someone to make use of it! All you need to do is use the Inventory tag inside of your Game Type in a .scenario and presto - asymmetric inventories any way you want them. For example, here is a silly version of Archipelago where, for CTF, one team has all Thors and the other team has all Paladins. A contrived example, but you get the idea.

I think it would be very cool to setup one team with dropships and all light units. The other team has heavy equipment but only reinforcement zones. This would better portray an attack by drop capable forces on a fixed defensive position.

But that's just one example of the kind of fun we could have with asymmetric scenarios.

Originally posted by StellarRat:

1. Can we add some aerial recon to the game? UAVs, 120mm rounds with cameras, space/satellite recon, etc...

2. How about a vehicle with a sensor mast that can be raised from behind cover?

That is a great idea. Trying to get it to work in the game is the next step.

Ok I’m going to ramble on for a minute or two (but I’m using a spell checker this time). These are just my thoughts and mostly likely full of holes and misconceptions, but it is a place to start.

1)UAV’s or a bot controlled dropship might be the hardest thing to make. I don’t think bots can fly, other then Phonan flinging them :D . Maybe a really high hover would be the solution? The other issue is how to get the data back? Mercury (Command tracks) as far as I have noticed only data share when a human is controlling, (please correct me if I’m wrong). So it would have to be hovercraft only deployable with a bot driving while a player had a Mercury, that being the case just use bot in a Shrike, same effect.

2)I liked the sensor shell idea. So far I made a sensor that fires from a heavy mortar. It fires just fine but no data comes back while in flight and it still blows up when it hits the ground. I just made the Sensor an ammo type. Despite this failure I think that this idea has the biggest potential.

3)A sensor mast sounds great. The trick that I see is trying to get it to extend correctly. By using the "AnimationID 9" line it could be made to extend and retract. What I don’t know is whether the game engine recognizes the motion. Take the Cutter for example, do incoming rounds deflect differently with the plow up vs. down?

4)Space recon. Yes it is realistic, which is half the reason we play. But I think it would offer too much of an unbalancing effect, if only one side had it, and realistically only one side would have it. The planetary defenders would have it to start with it but a raiding live-ship would take out those satellites first thing (I would). Then the raiders would have space recon, they are in orbit after all. As a defender I would be trying to take out anything in orbit above the conflict zone I could, so that means moving the live-ship to relatively safe orbit (or out of LOS) thus denying space recon to the raiders. So either one side has it or nobody does. I like the nobody.

Ok I’m done now. Great ideas lets get together and get them working.

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by StellarRat:

1. Can we add some aerial recon to the game? UAVs, 120mm rounds with cameras, space/satellite recon, etc...

2. How about a vehicle with a sensor mast that can be raised from behind cover?

That is a great idea. Trying to get it to work in the game is the next step.

Ok I’m going to ramble on for a minute or two (but I’m using a spell checker this time). These are just my thoughts and mostly likely full of holes and misconceptions, but it is a place to start.

1)UAV’s or a bot controlled dropship might be the hardest thing to make. I don’t think bots can fly, other then Phonan flinging them :D . Maybe a really high hover would be the solution? The other issue is how to get the data back? Mercury (Command tracks) as far as I have noticed only data share when a human is controlling, (please correct me if I’m wrong). So it would have to be hovercraft only deployable with a bot driving while a player had a Mercury, that being the case just use bot in a Shrike, same effect.

2)I liked the sensor shell idea. So far I made a sensor that fires from a heavy mortar. It fires just fine but no data comes back while in flight and it still blows up when it hits the ground. I just made the Sensor an ammo type. Despite this failure I think that this idea has the biggest potential.

3)A sensor mast sounds great. The trick that I see is trying to get it to extend correctly. By using the "AnimationID 9" line it could be made to extend and retract. What I don’t know is whether the game engine recognizes the motion. Take the Cutter for example, do incoming rounds deflect differently with the plow up vs. down?

4)Space recon. Yes it is realistic, which is half the reason we play. But I think it would offer too much of an unbalancing effect, if only one side had it, and realistically only one side would have it. The planetary defenders would have it to start with it but a raiding live-ship would take out those satellites first thing (I would). Then the raiders would have space recon, they are in orbit after all. As a defender I would be trying to take out anything in orbit above the conflict zone I could, so that means moving the live-ship to relatively safe orbit (or out of LOS) thus denying space recon to the raiders. So either one side has it or nobody does. I like the nobody.

Ok I’m done now. Great ideas lets get together and get them working. </font>

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

What type of flying vehicals did you have in mind?

And there have been a few air-to-air kills. Jung and I have blasted each other from the sky and I know others have as well.

The Dragonfly is a good example of the type of aircraft I had in mind. Since the CZ server is down we have yet to see a dogfight between two dragonflys

No, not a programmer, but I try to mod as much as I can. The programming staff is realy helpful and more than once has changed a bit of code to let us mod things, infantry and weapons on dropships for example.

I was just rattling off the mod chalenges. Yes it might be tough but thats half the fun :D

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />First thing would be asymmetrical per scenario inventories. That means that for each scenario every side (blood,water) can have a seperate inventory of vehicles.

That has already been present for some time and I can't wait for someone to make use of it!

</font>

Originally posted by rua'anith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redcon-5:

And there have been a few air-to-air kills. Jung and I have blasted each other from the sky and I know others have as well.

The Dragonfly is a good example of the type of aircraft I had in mind. Since the CZ server is down we have yet to see a dogfight between two dragonflys </font>

Originally posted by rua'anith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redcon-5:

The Dragonfly is a good example of the type of aircraft I had in mind. Since the CZ server is down we have yet to see a dogfight between two dragonflys </font>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think, before aircraft will see any real effective battlefield use, there needs to be a way to counterbalance against AA. (Given things like the Bacchaus, and the large amount of AA turrets)

Even up to the last minutes of a map, it is VERY dangerous and hard to fly an areial vehicle anywhere without being shot down by a turret or AA gun.

Originally posted by Caseck:

My only issue with aircraft is that the board is pretty small to manuever on in aviation terms.

Some maps are quite small I agree,but others such as "The Mesa", "The Dam", and "Volcano Peaks" offer lots of manuver space. With one note: you must fly NOE to live.

• 3 months later...

I need to draw my Gunship. All armor up front, vectored thrust, no windows on the front, small viewports on the sides. (Sensor fusion so no windows required.) I really have to figure out how to get the damn Zoo running so I can see all the different mods! Is there anywhere that has 3D pics of the vehicles from the Zoo?

Very excited to hear about the Dragonfly. Next they need to figure out how to get more than one guy in a vehicle. Paves the way for an OGRE type game, as well as perhaps boatz...