DT 1on1 tournament

__Yossarian0815[jby]

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the first Semi-final match is over, and the winner is RedCon. The games were split one-to-one.

Game one Redcon 2084; ThePhantom 548

image.jpg

Thinking that the South West corner was the key to this map I planed to take it early and dig-in. Pulling all of my units to dropships except one cutter. However ThePhantom beat me to the punch and had his forces deployed at the South West complex waiting for me.

Here I changed on the fly and made up the rest as I went along. I shifted focus to the North East Corner and secured it quickly, thus gained the points advantage. By leaving a Cutter in place I could control those points.

One of my beginning tactics was to place a Bacchus with Hermes support just off center of the map. This gave a encompassing AA umbrella that had the over all effect of scattering his forces to remote drop-sites and as a added bonus eventually killed all his dropships. But this tactic came back to haunt me in the second game.

ThePhantom seemed to focus on killing my Bacchus. This gave me some breathing room to hunt down his units (Cutters) with some spectacular tank duels.

With about five minutes left I noticed that his bots were coming in out of his deployment zone. It was here that I dropped in a Mercury and did my best to turn the Western road into a killing field with turrets arty and lots of bot wrangling.

In the end the points never shifted from my control it was a pretty clear victory.

Game Two: ThePhantom 1730; RedCon 1159

image.jpg

This game was much more of a fur-ball. The points swung back and forth about seven times. The last swing was in ThePhantom’s favor and he well deserved to win this one.

Guessing that he would again go for the Southwest complex I started off by dropping the engineering squad into the North East corner complex only to be met by his whole force. But my squad made it to cover and even scored a few kills. This move was my saving grace. Any time ThePhantom captured the main buildings my squad would take it back.

My details of this battle are fairly sketchy since I was busy hopping from one unit to the next trying to keep up with ThePhantom. And as I said before my tactic would come back to haunt me. ThePhantom got a Bacchus close to the map center and my bots responded by flying to the four corner of the map. So while trying to reorganize my bots I had to hunt down and kill his Bacchus, easy, yeah right.

So after killing his Bacchus I tried to mount a counter offensive but there was no time left and my bots were still too scattered to do much. However that lone Engineering squad who just hunkered down keep the points close enough to make the first game the winning match.

Good AARs, Redcon. I don't have to show my Pics. Same stuff. You won.... You won...

The first game - I wanted to try something new. Take the center city and build a strong defensive perimeter as I took control of the objectives. What shocked me was Redcon dropped slightly North of my drop. It was like a couple feet from my drop. What about the plan? It vanished. What was left was a pathetic scramble to think of something to do. Redcon had a 14mm AA position in the central part of the city. It was this one robot - This freaky, mean, thing that just sat there - Shooting everything out of the sky. I didn't want to change my drop schedule. I knew I would get to Bob or Dick! Whatever its name was..... No, it became an obsession. I wanted this robot killed - Stripped of its tires and have all metal parts ripped from it, piece by piece.

Something terrible was happening. Robby or Rick or whoever that bot was - was kicking the crap out of everything I threw at it. It was standing on top of a pile of downed dropships. Stacked three high!!! I couldn't believe it. It was just sitting there, laughing at me. I truelly hated him. I would get just close enough to shoot him. Wham! Redcon would take a shot and blow me away.

I didn't remember the mission. I went off course and played bad.... and I lost. Redcon you beat me hands down on this one. Good job.

I still hate Tony or Chuck or whoever that bot was....... The prick.

The second game - I stayed focused. I played the way you should play. Think of the overall mission not evil individual bots. My shot came back too. The first game I couldn't hit anything. The second game I hit everything. I just did a push from the South into the city. Once I establish control I setup a AA screen and prayed time would pass.

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

I am sorry that I have missed out on all of this action. My wife just had our second daughter, so now I have an infant and a 18 month old running around the house. Serious crunch time in my trigger time.

Congratulations IG!

We could promote DropTeam with its fertility enhancing properties :D

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

I am sorry that I have missed out on all of this action. My wife just had our second daughter, so now I have an infant and a 18 month old running around the house. Serious crunch time in my trigger time.

Congrats.

Congrats Grunt, that's great to hear. The only thing you have to do is..... "Find the time to play."

Be sneaky - Overcome, improvise and adapt. I've been doing it for years.

PS. Don't get caught...When SHE comes - Turn off the monitor quickly, grab a kid and start playing with them. That's how I do it. Well, now my kids are too old, so I just grab a dog. Works just as good.

Congrats IG! I'm sitting at the keyboard typing one handed with my 4 week-old son on my left arm so I empathize with you! Give it time and windows will open in your schedule again,

In the mean time, my Blender skills are being polished when I get a smidge of time. Expect some new models soonish.

Congrats IG and Toby! However, it's a shame we keep losing dedicated players to the all consuming parenting role. I guess that's one drawback to playing a game with a more "mature" fan base. Maybe we need a new viper called the Stork which targets actual players with weapons like the ASGM (anti-sleep guided missile) or the 30mm PPC (puke projectile cannon).

Clay, you've got mail in your tbgsoftware account. Let's get ready to rumble!

Last night I beat Clay two times on House to House to advance to the finals. I didn't bother with screenshots of the final scores unfortunately...considering the amount of beer drank, not to mention the amount I spilled while playing, I think it's understandable. I guess I assumed Clay would take care of such things. Anyway, I don't have time right now for a proper AAR, but it was something like this: Game 1 Jung crushes Clay and takes most everything; Game 2 Jung starts off crushing Clay again, Clay wakes-up and starts helping his poor little bots organize, we battle back and forth for awhile, Jung takes lead in points again with a couple of minutes left. I'll try to write more later.

Clay - did you remember to switch delta pavonis back to regular map rotation? I just looked at the network screen and House to House was still running - it could be just a coincidence, but you might want to check.

This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada (yes, we have thanksgiving too - something the British Empire Loyalists brought to Canada after the American Revolution - but due to weather ours is earlier) so I won't be able to make the Sunday afternoon matches....battle on brave warriors.

[ October 07, 2007, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Junglist ]

Hey that is unfair! Poor Clay had to drink american beer *shudder*, no wonder he lost ;):D

congrats to the finalists: Redcon-5 vs Junglist

hope the replays for the semifinals will be online soon!

Didn´t make it to the sunday games either, because I was imprisoned in the Alpenfestung being force-fed Schweinsbraten and Knödel.