aircraft controls

poesel

I had some fun air to air combat with Nexus and Phonan yesterday and I liked it more than I thought.

The controls however are clumsy and the engineer who designed that deserved to be pushed out the airlock, BUT: for game balance its perfect.

Nonetheless I would suggest one change: disable the mouse flight controls while in gunner view - only steer with keyboard

Reason: you most probably aim on something on the ground which will lead the cobra in a steep head down dive everytime.

Yesterday's midair duels were quite fun. I apologize for the lack of a fight I offered, as the lag on my end was rather crippling and, unfortunately, due to my relative inexperience in the new Gunships. I agree with your suggestion, Poesel, in that it makes piloting hard while flying, but I also wonder what effect the proposed change would have on maneuverability in flight. Really though, the only way to find out is to try it...

No, nothing new. Its just that with the Cobras the mouse pointer has a double role as flight control instrument and target pointer at the same time.

That problem simply did not exist with the Viper.

It's true that that keeps you level, and it helps a lot with grabbing people, but doing this also hampers maneuverability as one can then only move up or down. If we had a key that limited tilt to stop someone from say, keeling over 90 degrees, but allowed them to tip 30 or 45, that would possibly work.

Pressing X makes you a sitting duck and the levelling may move the target out of the area of effect of the gun. It has also the disadvantage that you have to press two keys at the same time.

Just leave pitch and yaw as they are when you enter gunner view. Thats a simple solution without a keypress.