1.2.5 Release...

ClaytoniousRex

...is now available via Update. You should be prompted to update automatically the next time you run DropTeam.

There are new commands in this release, so if you've customized your controls you will need to reset to the default control scheme and customize again to have access to the new commands.

Changes in 1.2.5:

</font>

• The entire AI system has been completely rewritten. Bots are now a little smarter than they were, but more importantly, the AI framework is now robust enough to allow the bots to improve dramatically in future releases.</font>
  • Fixed some significant memory leaks (thanks to Toby's suggestion of running through Valgrind!)</font>
  • Fixed several client-side CTD's</font>
  • Added a new type of infantry squad: engineers that can capture facilities by occupying them</font>
  • You can now order the AI to temporarily take control of your current unit. This new command (CTRL-V by default) is a toggle to turn AI control on and off for your own unit. Your unit will move and shoot on its while this state is active. You can issue orders to yourself via the tac display to control this behavior (as with any other bot). This can be useful for commanders, or any time you're busy with other activity (such as looking at the map, chatting, deploying turrets, etc.) but want to keep your unit in the battle at the same time.</font>
  • Hovering your cursor over a unit in the tac display will popup a status window for that unit</font>
  • Unit status window now shows ammo remaining</font>
  • Ammo display now shows the name of the currently selected weapon</font>
  • New GPU Particle option on the Settings tab. Turning this option on makes particle animation and rendering happen on the GPU (video card) instead of the CPU. This option can cure stuttering and lag caused by high amounts of smoke and dust, but only if you have a very high end video card. Medium to low end video cards will suffer by activating this option.</font>
  • Fixed physics stability issues (the angry hand of God is now less angry)</font>
  • Performance optimizations</font>

This release has massively improved the single-player game - the new AI is a definite improvement and has cornered me a few times already with combos of light tanks and Hermes sneaking up on me.

The all-weapons fire from the AIs has also rebalanced the game - the AI Thors are now to be feared by any Paladin or Apollo driver.

There does appear to be a lag problem on Low Dunes - I've seen the server have pings of 2157 (that's not a typo).

New GPU Particle option on the Settings tab. ... Medium to low end video cards will suffer by activating this option.
This is sad news, at least to me, because my GeForce 6800 GT graphics card, which was the most expensive component in my system is now clearly a medium-level video card :eek: Stutter-city as soon as this is enabled and there is dust around...

So - this release is a lot of good and some bad. If you can solve the lag problem, I'd be really happy.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

[*]The entire AI system has been completely rewritten. Bots are now a little smarter than they were, but more importantly, the AI framework is now robust enough to allow the bots to improve dramatically in future releases.

I now know the AI has been improved. Some of you vets aint going to believe this. I was just playing single player CZ4, tweeking the sniper rifle and AGTM , and what in my wandering scope did appear but Neville* in a twin 76mm Ariel charging full throtle down on me. A bot attacking with a hovercraft!?! Whats next bots flying Gunshps? ;)

I really like the new bots. This is much, much better.

Things I don't like:

- the bots have sometimes the tendency to drive to the lower left corner and stay there

- infantry in buildings can see VERY far and they are extremely good at spotting other inf. If theres one infantry man per side of building then only two should be able to shoot at once max.

- its quite hard to get inf OUT of a building. Without 120mmHE or mortars its impossible

- bots shoot dropships with too much accuracy

- the accuracy of the laser towers is much too high. I was killed once when a laser shoot my missile as soon as it left the launcher! IMHO there should be a minimum 1 second delay before a projectile can be targeted by a laser

I agree. Point defense systems are too accurate and fast. Hermes and towers will destroy a round the second you fire it.

-Bots in general spot infantry very easily at nearly any range, unless you are not moving at all.

-I have noticed that some bots like to drop at the far edge, away from the battle at hand and just drive around for some reason.

-Bot ion gunners can nail infantry mid-flight. How do they do that?

First off, I must say I'm impressed with most of the improvements that came with V1.2.5, so this is not really just a complaint. Now for the complaining: the bots shoot down dropships way too easily! Yesterday at one point I was shot down by the same long distance bot three times in a row, while I attempted to land in three different locations. I wasn't even dropping in the same spot and this bot about half way across the map shot me down with HEAT each time. Now I'm a pretty good shot in the game and I can only hit dropships with HEAT one out every 10 or 15 tries. So for a bot to do it three times in a row is a bit unacceptable.

While I'm ranting, I also think dropships and vipers should be a little better armoured in terms of taking fire from ions – it seems silly watching ship after ship get shot down by ions - not that I haven't employed this tactic myself, but right now we seem to be running out of dropships with too much regularity.

Originally posted by Junglist:

First off, I must say I'm impressed with most of the improvements that came with V1.2.5, so this is not really just a complaint. Now for the complaining: the bots shoot down dropships way too easily! Yesterday at one point I was shot down by the same long distance bot three times in a row, while I attempted to land in three different locations. I wasn't even dropping in the same spot and this bot about half way across the map shot me down with HEAT each time. Now I'm a pretty good shot in the game and I can only hit dropships with HEAT one out every 10 or 15 tries. So for a bot to do it three times in a row is a bit unacceptable.

While I'm ranting, I also think dropships and vipers should be a little better armoured in terms of taking fire from ions – it seems silly watching ship after ship get shot down by ions - not that I haven't employed this tactic myself, but right now we seem to be running out of dropships with too much regularity.

bots are way too impressive they switch weapons with an impressive cadence!

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Are you seeing slow loading in base (like on Delta Pavonis) or only on Creature Zoo? Are the DDS textures in your \data folder?

Slow loading in EVERYTHING!

Originally posted by Chilibird:

I'm still loading at the fast speed just fine.

As am I on everything except Creature Zoo, but that's only through a combination of poesel's new textures, a crappy connection, and a lower end compy.

Bane, what are your settings at and what's your specs? The sheer amount of trees on Rolling Hills may have been the thing killing you.

yo Bane, what are your settings at and what's your specs? The sheer amount of trees on Rolling Hills may have been the thing killing you .
Well here are my specs on vid card from Windows XP:

Name RADEON 9250

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5960&SUBSYS_06111545&REV_01\4&8CA73A7&0&0008

Adapter Type RADEON 9250 AGP (0x5960), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9250

Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6614

INF File oem5.inf (ati2mtag_RV280 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1152 x 864 x 75 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xF7FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x0000D000-0x0000DFFF

Memory Address 0xF9030000-0xF903FFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6614, 1.47 MB (1,540,608 bytes), 12/1/2006 2:27 PM)

Name RADEON 9250 - Secondary

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5940&SUBSYS_06101545&REV_01\4&8CA73A7&0&0108

Adapter Type RADEON 9250 Secondary AGP (0x5940), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9250 - Secondary

Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6614

INF File oem5.inf (ati2mtag_RV280 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries Not Available

Resolution Not Available

Bits/Pixel Not Available

Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF

Memory Address 0xF90F0000-0xF90FFFFF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6614, 1.47 MB (1,540,608 bytes), 12/1/2006 2:27 PM)

I know, it's old! It's actually not a 9250. It's a 9200. I updated the driver and thats what I got.

I just need to get a better card. Some day!

"This release has massively improved the single-player game"

That's good news for me! Since the last time I lurked on this board I've since purchased a nice fast PC setup that should handle this game engine - but my internet connection's still crap. Single player AI doesn't have to be too fancy to keep me interested because... frankly... I'm a crappy player and easy to beat! :D