Creature Zoo

poesel

As you might have noticed there is a server running with the name 'Creature Zoo' which runs a mod of the same name.

Its purpose is to TEST things. I've moved most of the mods I've made in the past together in one and put it there.

You get the necessary files here:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/download/Creature_Zoo/

Just unzip inside the 'Mods' directory. 'The Dam' is also mirrored here but currently runs only in standalone. Unpack inside the 'data' directory.

The server runs HotDropZone(Objective), Desert Mesa(CTF) and will run The Dam(Territory) as soon as Toby fixes it ;)

Time is a bit longer than usual (35 min), 3min deployment.

The description:

This is an accumulated mod that is composed of several different mods. Its mainly for testing and may be very unbalanced. All new vehicles are prepended by a '0'.~

The newest version can be found at: dropteam.johalla.de/download/Creature_Zoo~

This is version 1.~

~

- 0Shrike ATM: Ammo 30, triple shot, light mortar equiv.~

- 0Paladin RA-M (Nebelwerfer): Ammo 70, 7 shot, great spread, medium mortar equiv. - no turret turning!~

- 0Paladin RA-H: Ammo 15, single shot, direct, low spread medium mortar equiv.~

- 0Hurricane T (Styx): troop transport (2 teams)~

- 0MBT KC-Hm: added light mortar~

- 0Ariel KC-M: faster Tempest with jammer and 76mm~

If someone else wants to test anything else (like vehicles, scenarios or buildings) just send the files to me, I will add it.

I do very much apreciate any comments or suggestions (especially about game balance)!

EDIT: server is NOT running currently because it dies after short operation - will look into it

[ February 17, 2007, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

The nebelwerfer is fantastic. What a punch. I saw what it can do to a dropship and a thor tank it was extracting........ Brutal. The tempest is great and has easy to control. I just can't stand the 76mm. I hit a target countless times and I never knock them out, frustrating. Is there anyway to get the 90mm on it? I'd like to see a palidin with a 90mm too. If I see the creature zoo server up - I'll be on it every time. It is the "Testing Ground."

Hey Grunt, this forum has a search function... ;)

Found out the way to make the AT grenade visible:

- look into the /data directory for the file 'ATGrenade.physicalobjectgroup'.

- make backup.

- open with text editor of choice and change the line:

<BaseModelName>Mine0<BaseModelName>

into:

<BaseModelName>Mine<BaseModelName>

- save.

Thats it. No need for a mod and it works on the server, too, since its a client side only thing.

Using the mine picture is a bit ugly IMHO. I'd rather take:

<BaseModelName>tracer00<BaseModelName>

Thats harder to see but looks better. YMMV. But maybe someone draws something better. Its just a png... [smile]

About the 76 vs 90mm

Heres a comparison chart:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

Comparison 76mm - 90mm - 120mm

BasePenetration 350 430 430

LossRate 100 160 150

ArmorBurnFactor 0 0.08 0.1

DirectKillFactor 30.2 50.0 50.0

FragmentationFactor 1.7 3.0 3.0

ExplodeFactor 0.45 0.45 0.5

StructuralDamageAmount 0.56 0.56 1.0

Overpenetrates false true true</pre>

I was just giving everything a quick spin and must say you've done some nice work Poesel. One quick question - what is the rate of fire on the Nebelwerfer. I tried it twice and loved the rocket effect, but on both occasion I subsequently got killed before getting off a second shot. Love the new Tempest, but I have to agree, to get this vehicle back into game play a 90mm gun would really help. The larger firepower would be offset by the fact that the Tempest is basically a one shot kill in most circumstances. As it is, the only real uses for a 76mm are rear motor shots, turret clearing, and quick disarming of smaller enemies with shots at the weapons systems.

10 seconds - which is, now that I think about it, a bit fast. 14?

Ok, two requests for a 90mm Ariel - I'll make it. But that will be a hell of a unit on flat terrain!

Maybe the 76mm will find its destination as FLAK or in double- or quad-barrel configurations.

What do you thing about the single shot rocket artillery? Its quite exact, has a proper turret and a MG but its 'only' medium mortar? Should that be heavy mortar?

Well - a multi-shot 76mm Aerial would be pretty scary too. The 20mm AP 15 shot bursts can reduce the side armour of most tanks to junk in a few seconds. A three- or five-shot burst of 76mm would disable a lot of vehicles.

Talking about scary: Phantom and I were in a Thor-on-Thor battle on Desert Mesa. Except I was in a Thor Hm, rather than a standard Thor. Just as he crested the hill, I switched from 120mmAP to the HE-L mortars and let all five rip in a salvo, resulting in a blown turret for Phantom. Ah - the joys of the unexpected attack - the noise and smoke from that attack are quite impressive!

Originally posted by poesel71:

Hey Grunt, this forum has a search function... ;)

Found out the way to make the AT grenade visible:

- look into the /data directory for the file 'ATGrenade.physicalobjectgroup'.

- make backup.

- open with text editor of choice and change the line:

<BaseModelName>Mine0<BaseModelName>

into:

<BaseModelName>Mine<BaseModelName>

- save.

Thats it. No need for a mod and it works on the server, too, since its a client side only thing.

Using the mine picture is a bit ugly IMHO. I'd rather take:

<BaseModelName>tracer00<BaseModelName>

Thats harder to see but looks better. YMMV. But maybe someone draws something better. Its just a png... [smile]

About the 76 vs 90mm

Heres a comparison chart:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

Comparison 76mm - 90mm - 120mm

BasePenetration 350 430 430

LossRate 100 160 150

ArmorBurnFactor 0 0.08 0.1

DirectKillFactor 30.2 50.0 50.0

FragmentationFactor 1.7 3.0 3.0

ExplodeFactor 0.45 0.45 0.5

StructuralDamageAmount 0.56 0.56 1.0

Overpenetrates false true true</pre>

The 90mm is VERY powerful and is usually as good as the 120mm. See the threat tables - you just have to be a bit closer.

One thing I don't know and hope Clay can answer is the function of ArmorBurnFactor, DirectKillFactor, FragmentationFactor and ExplodeFactor.

Thanks for the comments on the Nebelwerfer! ;) It needs a proper tower however...

IMHO its not too powerful because its hard to aim and with that spread it is more an area weapon. And thats its intention: its an anti-base weapon which mainly creates a big distraction but not so much damage (at least to the heavies).

I will make a 90mm Paladin. Anything else for a new version?

Three cheers for Creature Zoo!

The new units are cool and "the Dam" is really very pretty. I think we all agreed online yesterday that "desert mesa" doesn´t really work as CTF (especially as Poesel beat Jung and me on his own which shouldn´t be allowed :mad: :D ) .

I had absolutely zero lag, so it seems that my lag problems are entirely geographical (50ms to CZ, 170ish to DP.)That doesn´t mean that I will boykott DP, but it makes me feel better that the lag isn´t some arcane IP service provider-problem.

Poesel, did you perhaps "record" bandwidth usage/ cpu usage of the server yesterday? I think you´re the kind of person who would/could do that ;)

[ February 20, 2007, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]

jby, du glaubst wohl ich bin so ein Erbsenzähler? ;)

No, I didn't record anything but there is an statistics option I didn't try yet.

aittam, maybe you should check that again. The Nebelwerfer does seven single shots and each shot is assigned a random deviation according to the spread value in the XML-tag. If that would be regular then every shot would hit the exact same spot (spread 0).

Poesel, can you put a cutters 20mm on the Thor heavy mortar chassis - more towards the front. Give it the USMC AAV "Amtrac" look. That would be cool. Is it possible to make it a APC rather than a heavy mortar carrier. I'd also like to see a double (even better a quad) 76mm on a palidin... Make something useful out of a useless weopon. That would be fantastic! As for the Shrike - I can't drive them anyway...... But, could you place a 20mm on one just to throw in a wild flippin recon vehicle. It wont be real effective.... It's the entertainment of watching your enemy flip, roll, zag, zip and then roll over on its top. Makes me laugh every time I see it. Let's add more to the Creature Zoo!

Sorry, DT does not support double turrets (yet).

Do you mean a Thor 20mm APC? Wouldn't that be a bit too slow?

Twin 76mm Paladin is on the list.

The 20mm cannon would look very weird on a Shrike and a Shrike isn't really a close combat vehicle.