bot panic

__Yossarian0815[jby]

I've had the same problem on numerous occasions, especially when trying to get several mortars to attack (fire) at once. I find giving groups of bots orders to be a great concept but not always very effective. I'm constantly having to go back and give individual orders to get them moving again - which isn't cool in the heat of battle. It can be disastrous if you should move elsewhere on the map and not notice that the bots are ignoring orders and having their own little picnic off to the side.

Yes, the bots are being completely rewritten from scratch. This work is about 60% done now. The goal is to not only make them smart enough to finally be genuinely effective in multiplayer games, but to make them good enough to actually ... *gasp* ... have fun playing single player, too!

Obviously, the ww2 version has steep demands for smart, authentic behavior from the bots, so it's been underway for a while now. Right now, Bots v2.0 are already maneuvering, using cover, and avoiding obstacles like champs (makes a daddy proud). Their higher level tactical reasoning is still in progress. Bots are able to assist you even with units that you are controlling (for example, you can ask a bot to drive for you while you gun or vice versa).

The AI architecture is much more modular and mature this time around, so it should eventually be a very moddable thing, too.

It's looking very good, but it will be another release or two before it's ready to roll out.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

(for example, you can ask a bot to drive for you while you gun or vice versa).

Sounds interesting, would this mean that 2 people could drive a tank (gunner/driver). At the beginning of wwiionline I had some great fun driving around in a tank with a friend. Made for some hilarious in game dialogue (stop!!!, no! gogogo! agrgh! reverse! reverse!) smile.gif