Galaxy Resupply

Imperial Grunt

Ive been contemplating how the resupply works in the game and I wanted to throw this idea out to everyone:

It would make more sense to me if the Galaxy, when requested, would just land close by the requested location and the ammo and fuel resupply was abstracted. That wierd tube would go away. I also think that a Galaxy could carry more than just one unit of resupply for one vehicle, and instead the Galaxy should be able to resupply all friendly vehicles within a certian distribution radius simultaneously. The resupplying vehicles would have to remain in one place and not move for a certain amount of time, but if they did have to leave, they should be able too, sans resupply.

It also would make sense that some "yellow" status and a few "red" status items could be replaced or repaired, especially crew members.

Lastly, if the unit that called for the resupply gets killed by incoming, and the resupply mission is no longer a requirement, shouldn't the Galaxy leave as soon as possible rather than just sit there to be shot? Maybe the extract command can be used to make it abort its mission and return to space.

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Ive been contemplating how the resupply works in the game and I wanted to throw this idea out to everyone:

It would make more sense to me if the Galaxy, when requested, would just land close by the requested location and the ammo and fuel resupply was abstracted. That wierd tube would go away. I also think that a Galaxy could carry more than just one unit of resupply for one vehicle, and instead the Galaxy should be able to resupply all friendly vehicles within a certian distribution radius simultaneously. The resupplying vehicles would have to remain in one place and not move for a certain amount of time, but if they did have to leave, they should be able too, sans resupply.

It also would make sense that some "yellow" status and a few "red" status items could be replaced or repaired, especially crew members.

Lastly, if the unit that called for the resupply gets killed by incoming, and the resupply mission is no longer a requirement, shouldn't the Galaxy leave as soon as possible rather than just sit there to be shot? Maybe the extract command can be used to make it abort its mission and return to space.

Currently the galaxy is mainly being used as a rapidly available shield against artillery, not so much as a resupply vehicle. This is admittedly not a "normal" use of a resupply vehicle.

OTOH it´s simple and elegant. Dragging along a Hermes all the time is sort of clunky, especially when only a few people are playing.

The galaxy will suply all vehicles in the area until it is full and then switch to the next vehicle.

The umbilical should be a bit less 'gluey', though.

I don't think that if the calling unit is called the galaxy should fly away. It does serve a role as defense even if noone is near.

Repairing vehicles would be a nice touch and make it even more valuable.

Maybe the Galaxy should be handled as any other vehicle such that there is not a time limit but a number limit to it. So you could drop three at once but if they are gone - tough luck.

Another proposal would be to seperate suply and PD role and create another unit that only supplies. It would hold a limited amount of ammo (10 AP/HEAT/ 5 HE) that can be fetched by touching it. The infantry drop pod could be used for that - ammo is cheap enough to put it in every pod.

Originally posted by poesel71:

I think depleting the thors of the other team will become impossible if they can be repaired.

Maybe the Galaxy should be handled as any other vehicle such that there is not a time limit but a number limit to it. So you could drop three at once but if they are gone - tough luck.

I like this idea. The galaxy is overused (especially by me smile.gif )

Another proposal would be to seperate suply and PD role and create another unit that only supplies. It would hold a limited amount of ammo (10 AP/HEAT/ 5 HE) that can be fetched by touching it. The infantry drop pod could be used for that - ammo is cheap enough to put it in every pod.

A drop pod resupply would be cool.

New units should only be allowed if we can get rid of the useless ones ie. the Paladin mortar, the Paladin IC, the Apollo 20mmm, the tempest, ...

Another proposal would be to seperate suply and PD role and create another unit that only supplies.

I like the idea of a separate supply, or maybe supply-and-repair, vehicle.

Maybe if a damaged unit touches the s-a-r vehicle an infantry-style drop pod comes down with a replacement part? So repair would require both the vehicle and a vulnerable-to-AA dropped pod.

OTOH, something that'd be nifty to see - and target - would be infantry (technicians) unloading from a Galaxy with spare parts and ammo.

Repairing is a tricky thing - if its too easy attrition becomes impossible, too hard and it won't be used.

So what could happen?

Dead crew cannot be repaired although it would be nifty if the survivor could take over the others functions (with a delay or somesuch). Destroyed ammo or battery is lethal so no repair, too. Leaves the engine which will stop you dead in place - and this place is usually close to the enemy so IF you survive that long for some kind of repair to get to you, you surely deserve it.

Most other repairs would then probably be damaged engines or tires. Which now begs the question if repair does make sense at all? Would you 'sacrifice' one vehicle for that job? If that vehicle had no other use I wouldn't.

OTOH a repair building for the defenders with asymmetric inventories could be interesting. Or if the cutter had that ability...

To sum it up: I doubt repair could be too easy - its rather hard to make it useful.

[ January 29, 2007, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by poesel71:

I think depleting the thors of the other team will become impossible if they can be repaired.

</font>

Which now begs the question if repair does make sense at all? Would you 'sacrifice' one vehicle for that job? If that vehicle had no other use I wouldn't.
Me either.

But allow it to carry ammo and give it a decent weapon, and it might be very useful in an area where use of a dropship or Galaxy is impossible or impractical.

OTOH, the game is Dropteam... most scenarios do feature easy extraction and dropping. Though such a vehicle could be an interesting/valuable addition to an unusual scenario.

To sum it up: I doubt repair could be too easy - its rather hard to make it useful.

I think repair would most likely be lagniappe. Nice, but not the point of whatever vehicle might get it.

[ January 29, 2007, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

Iceman:

[Colonel Tigh´s voice after drinking]All I can say is that I fought through the battle of Iwo Joma last sunday on just two thors. Had I been able to repair them I would have only needed one.[/Colonel Tigh´s voice after drinking]

Tarq:

Hey I learned a new word: lagniappe

Poesel:

by product of checking lagniappe: katzenjammer is an english word nowadays smile.gif

Aittam:

You could use the viper to remove damaged vehicles.