Updates

poesel

Next monday it will be three months since the last update for DT. This is in some contrast to the bi-weekly cycle we had before.

'its done when its doen' is all fine with me but I also prefer incremental updates to monolithic ones.

Some information about whats in the works (I darenot say 'when') would also ease my mind. The officials have been awfully silent lately even to support requests in this forum. This is again in contrast to what happened last year.

I'm feeling a little more cynical than that. While I hate reading all the "vaporware" and "Battlefront sux lol" accusations in the other game forums, and I understand that Battlefront is a small company and can't afford major advertising campaigns, and I believe they did the best they can with the resources they have...

I'm tired of seeing no one on the servers. This game is meant to be played on line. There's never anyone on-line (once a week doesn't count, sorry). That's a major problem right there. That means, in my limited understanding of the gaming market, not enough units were sold.

Either way I hope to see more time invested into marketing and publicity, or the WWII mod, to try a little harder to get a critical mass started. I still feel like my money was well spent. But I'm starting to hear these jaded voices in my head...

Small games can't make it without good single player. You need something for people to play when there aren't heaps of people playing.

Single player DT just isn't that great. The campaign has always felt a bit cobbled together. I bought the game primarily to get single player of what I felt was a great multiplayer game, and was really quite disappointed.

The next update will be ready very soon. It is 100% geared toward fixing lag and client-side performance problems; all new features are being held back for this update. It also includes a couple of smaller fixes such as effective brakes for wheeled vehicles.

Yes, there were some major disruptions here due to other projects (some DT related, some not) and personal things such as the move that Iceman mentioned, but we're just about back on track now.

But I'm starting to hear these jaded voices in my head...
I'm glad someone else hears them, too. I thought I was going crazy!

Bnej, you're right about the importance of single player and about DropTeam's single player being so very far behind its multiplayer. One of the things that we've been working on for a few weeks now is a complete rewrite of the AI system in DropTeam. This is a major undertaking but is obviously important enough to warrant the time and effort involved. It's required not only to make single player DropTeam as fun as it always should have been, but also to make the WW2 version realistic enough to be fun.

"I'm tired of seeing no one on the servers. This game is meant to be played on line. There's never anyone on-line (once a week doesn't count, sorry). That's a major problem right there. That means, in my limited understanding of the gaming market, not enough units were sold."

I think this will be helped greatly by the fix in lag issues...I know that I haven't been on much due to lag so you'll at least see me more.

We would love to have you back!

There are some serious network optimizations in this 1.2.2 release now (on average, it's using 40% less bandwidth!), but judging how much benefit it will have for any individual is difficult. There are tons of variables in that long path from your modem to our server and all of the pieces of hardware in between. For *some* users, the only good answer will be to play on a server that is in a better location for that user. Nevertheless, the changes in this release should make a substantial difference for the vast majority of users so hopefully we can enjoy poking holes in you guys again soon!

Great info on the continued support for Drop Team, thanks Clay! I gotta put my 2 cents in and say that I believe with a WWII mod this game will come into its own. If you notice, Battlefront is geared a bit towards WWII era gaming, not the far future. I think that it was great that Battlefront "broke" out a bit with a great game, but your Joe Blow Battlefront fan is probably waiting in the wings for the chance to get some Panzer kills. As for me my time has been eaten up by Medieval II. I'm still watching though... and I surely wouldn't uninstall this puppy.