threat tables

poesel

Ever wondered from which distance you could get a kill against the different vehicles?

Thanks to Clay giving out the formula I made a script that does it for us.

Its not complete yet but has the three main vehicles and the main weapons. Whats missing are more vehicles, mortars, HE blasts and the vehicles turrets, but I won't have much time the next few days so I thought I post it already.

Results can be found here:

Thor 0°

Comments & suggestions welcome.

Edit: link updated

[ January 20, 2007, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

Give the man a prize!

Wasn´t there a 13% percentage that 120mm AP would penetrate in any case or somefink?

Interesting that the Apollo and the Paladin have the same values. From my gaming experience the Apollo appears to be more easily killed than the Paladin.

I think the Apollo deserves a bit more front armor or shouldn´t be called a light tank.

Thank you guys! smile.gif

I've updated the script a bit. It now includes the vehicle turrets and different atmospheres. File structure has changed a bit so use the edited link in the first post please.

Theres a 0,5% chance that any hit will find a flaw in the armor. The armor is then reduced randomly to as low as 10% of current value. I wasn't aware of that until Clay mentioned it. This is not represented in the tables.

Jby, what you probably think of is the kill chance.

I too think that the Apollos should be a bit heavier armored than the Paladins. The higher kill rate of the Apollo stems from the fact that the Paladin has more empty space in it so chances are that the shell just flies through. OTOH if you hit an Apollo you will most likely destroy something.

Another update. Tables now include all mortar rounds and the TOW. Also Hurricane, Tempest, Shrike and Infantry.

Added the calculations for HE blasts.

Indirect hits through HE work like AP but I don't know the LossRate and the speed of the fragment. I also assumed that all hits occur at right angles. So the 'death circle' is most probably too small.

Two things I find strange and discussion worthy.

One is the base penetration of the mortar shells (that is the value that is used against the armor value of the target). All three mortar types (heavy, medium, light) have the SAME value. So the bigger shells dig bigger holes and have a bigger radius but do exactly the same damage (well unless a difference is hidden in fragment speed). I may be totally wrong here but that is what I get from the data.

The second thing I'm pretty sure with: since all shells have a base penetration of 100 and suffer loss through friction (*) the effective penetration will be less than 100. Since a lot of vehicles, especially Thor and Paladin have just this 100 as armor these vehicles are impervious to HE blasts from this direction.

I would suggest to raise the base penetration to something over 100 to allow close misses a kill chance for artillery.

(*) that makes mortars true killers in scenarios without atmosphere

What you're not seeing with those mortar shells is the penetration of the fragmentation from the blast, which is very high close to the blast but falls off exponentially with distance from the blast.

Those low penetration values for artillery only apply to the round itself doing its own kinetic penetration. The effects of the warhead's detonation aren't related to those base penetration values of 100 at all. The light, medium, and heavy mortars (as well as fire mission rounds, etc.) all have very different characteristics for their fragmentation. Their fragmentation is their primary means of dealing damage, not the direct impact of the round itself.

Poesel, I'll try to think of some way to convey their effects to you so you can model it on your chart.

And BTW, that script turned out wonderfully! Congrats, Poesel - very nice!