New things that killed me.

Tarquelne

I wish I'd thought of this several weeks ago, when I was getting killed in what were to me new ways every game...

I encourage others to share new ways they've gotten killed, or lost a game. Especially my fellow newbies. (We must overthrow the corrupt regime of the blood-soaked ancien regime yadda yadda yadda...)

I've also included the name of the fink who killed me. smile.gif

One of these is from a week or so ago, but it stuck in my mind.

1) Multiple ion Thors defending an open area from behind a minefield.

I hadn't seen any ion Thors chosen other than by the occasional bot. Nexus(86?) used several to defend one flank on the Arch map. "Hey, an ion Thor." "Heh heh heh, they're nearly useless." "Whoops, there's a lot of 'em." "%&^$*"

Counter: Find another way in, or apply some bot-wrangling and attack en mass. (Or use an EMP or smoke...)

2) Arty used to level your base in a Territory game. (Jung)

Counter: A Hermes or two. (Well, you could also take the other base. A couple of EW/AA vehicles is easier.)

3) The 120mm Apollo has a VERY narrow turret. It can pop it's turret up and kill you while you're still trying to zero on the exposed turret, then (relatively) quickly move somewhere else and do it again. And again and again and again. (bboyle)

Counter: Practice. Learn to like fast-moving Paladins.

Also:

Honorary mention: Whoever got me with an AT missile from an infantry squad in my very first game. ("What's that thing dropping?" What's that noise?" BAM! "Hey, good, there's infantry in the game!" (IG, I think.)

Discovery: You can have a lot of fun shooting shells from a Hurricane at the spires of an enemy base as the bots are trying to land multiple vehicles. Lots of Dropship kills!

1)

Versus Ion Thors use TOWs if theres no PD. If human controlled then their owners are usually stuck in gunners view and won't see your approach. The minefield thing is ugly so you need 120 or 76mm from the sides.

Or infantry: you can approach through the open because fi they see you at all (see above) ion needs three hits to kill one inf. You will be there before your run out of men and then its AT grenade fun.

Last thing would be artillery. Nice stationary targets. smile.gif

2)

You can see the arty shells flying on the tac map so you can trace the vehicles position. If they are alone - well... smile.gif

3)

I assume you sit in a Thor: keep moving and keep the front to the enemy. Killing a moving Thor from the front is hard even with 120mm. 120mm HEAT is the bane of the Apollo - its armor is weak and a penetration will nearly always kill it.