Infantry

poesel

I've been playing infantry lately. Great, great fun (although you can't win the game with them alone).

I have two questions, one suggestion and two wishes.

Questions:

1) at which distances become soldiers visible, standing and prone?

2) when does the jump-jet get hot enough to produce a blip on the radar?

Suggestion:

Color the bar jump jet bar according to the hotness of the jet (blue, yellow, red).

Wishes:

- crawling: that is of course mainly work for the animators but I could live without animation if I could just move the poor grunt without giving away the position

- sprints: could work similar to the jump jets. Sometimes you just need that extra speed to jump behind cover. To avoid adding another key I would suggest pressing 'w' twice to activate the sprint. A soldier is not a vehicle with a a set max speed - adrenalin can adjust that very well... ;)

I have to say that overall the infantry is very well balanced and can be quite effective. Very well done (ok, that came late now, but I'm more the tank guy and just found out smile.gif )

Originally posted by poesel71:

I've been playing infantry lately. Great, great fun (although you can't win the game with them alone).

I have two questions, one suggestion and two wishes.

Questions:

1) at which distances become soldiers visible, standing and prone?

2) when does the jump-jet get hot enough to produce a blip on the radar?

Suggestion:

Color the bar jump jet bar according to the hotness of the jet (blue, yellow, red).

Wishes:

- crawling: that is of course mainly work for the animators but I could live without animation if I could just move the poor grunt without giving away the position

- sprints: could work similar to the jump jets. Sometimes you just need that extra speed to jump behind cover. To avoid adding another key I would suggest pressing 'w' twice to activate the sprint. A soldier is not a vehicle with a a set max speed - adrenalin can adjust that very well... ;)

I have to say that overall the infantry is very well balanced and can be quite effective. Very well done (ok, that came late now, but I'm more the tank guy and just found out smile.gif )

Way ahead of ya Poesel! Well, OK, not really. But after ceaselessy bugging Clay with my infantry ideas, this is what I know.

1) Not sure of the exact range of when infantry are "invisable", but the bots spot infantry at a much higher rate than players do. Bots can spot through micro-terrain even and is one of the most frustrating feature of playing infantry squads, which is my favorite too. I know this was tweaked in the last update, but I still think the bots are still to good at spotting infantry squads, especially prone ones hiding in the grass, or moving in defilade to that bot in some small ravine or wash.

2) Clay said that the AM pipper appears when the jet meter gets to over half way. Stay at half and below and you should be good. I suggessted a color bar as well..the bar goes red when the jets reach the point that they are giving off an AM signature.

Crawling and short sprints, especially for light infantry, have been suggested and Clay agrees. They need to be modelled and cannot just be added.

Here is a run down of all the stuff I have bugged Clay to death with regarding infantry:

1) Range and engagement criteria for the squad's weapons that you can set for your squad, similar to how it is done in TacOps. Especially for that ion gunner who can somehow spot targets that no other marine can see (to include the squad leader) and starts to snipe away at a Thor, accomplishing nothing but identifying the squad's position for the enemy.

2) Squads jump in the same formation and stay relatively together. All marines jump and use their jets in the same manner at the squad leader. No one lands in front of the squad leader, unless they had jumped that way, (such as in a column formation). Squad members should never jump ahead and then jump back to get back in formation.

3) Once a squad goes prone, the squad is hiding and no one moves at all.

4) More camoflague on armor, gear, and weapons. I would even like physical camo, such as leaves hanging from helmets and backpacks. The light infantry squads should be the most stealthy and camoflagued...like the NVA or Rangers of the game. The other kinds of squads, when released should have other strengths and weaknessess different from the light infantry.

5) A 4X4 vehicle that the squad can use for mobility and to carry supplies, similar to a HMMWV or the "Warthog" in the game Halo. The vehicle is very lightly armored, like a Shrike, and has a 14mm gun. When the squad dismounts, the vehicle automatically follows the squad at about 500-1000m, unless parked in one spot. Squad can resupply from the vehicle as well. Maybe this can be a "regular" infantry squad. This particular squad would have to drop via a dropship.

6) Crew-served weapons teams such as a sniper team, forward observer teams, ATGM teams.

7) Combat Engineer squads that can set up small minefields or IEDs (hidden), emplace small obstacles, take over structures, etc...

8) New formations: Staggerd Column, squad line, squad wedge, squad 360.

9) When shocked/suppressed by artillery, the marines fall down prone and not continue to stand upright, wiping their faceplates as they gather their senses.

10) When stationary for more than a few seconds, the squad members take knee instead of standing.

11) When attacking vehicles and the squad leader activates his ATG, the all of the riflemen do. If they subsquently spot enemy infantry, then they can switch back to the 10mm AP.

12) The squad leader should be able to designate whether the squad can fire ATGs in a "weapons free" mode (in accordance with whatever engagement criteria was set overall) or if the squad should all fire their ATGs at the same target that the squad leader is aiming for. (Volley fire).

13) AT mines for those real close encounters with enemy vehicles.

14) Buildings and the backs of Paladins are not automatically boarded when you get near them, but a command must be given to do this action, such as the b key.

15) When infantry enter buildings, the view changes (maybe it rotates to an above point-of-view) so you can see outward, rather than back at the building. Mabye like in CM, where the walls fade a little. As it is currently, as soon as I get a squad in a building, I leave it there and switch to another unit.

16) Squads should be able to resupply from the bodies of eliminated enemy and friendly squads.

17) When marines are right next to enemy vehicles, they should be inside the dead space of that vehicle's weapons. That 120mm or 20mm gun can only depress so much.

18) Squads should have 2 fireteams. As the squad moves forward, they should have the option of all advancing together, or bound forward by teams. The Alpha team (1st fireteam, whatever it is called) moves with the squad leader. For the bravo team's movement, second fireteam, (whatever its called), the player would select a point within 500 meters (or so) of his position with his aiming reticle and then set that point for the bravo team to advance to. The bravo team will then move to that point The squad leader is in the Alpha team. That way the squad could advance using bounds as well fire and movement. If the squad leader forgets about the bravo team and leaves it behind, after 500 meters of seperation, the bravo team catches up on its own.

19) The view point of the player should be able to look "up" and "down" when traversing steep terrain. Right now you are stuck looking straight ahead.

20) And last, but not least, the heavy infantry squads! Ooh-Rah, blood makes the grass grow!

sstgrizzly.jpg

Originally posted by poesel71:

Oooohkaaay... - theres someone who earned his nickname and has given quite some thought to the subject.

I'll better shut up and wait for things to come... ;)

Well, you gave me an excuse to bug Clay again since he will probably see the post too. I would imagine that some of these are being worked into the infantry squads for the WWII release and maybe alot of that will carry over. On the other stuff, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Nice wishlist IG.

I was actually thinking of making a fast attack infantry carrier unit, and I like all the details you mention. (restocking, etc) I was thinking of something Shrike-ish also, a sort of buggy with very little (if any) armament, quick and possibly even sneaky.

(yeah I love stealthy stuff)

Something similar to this, perhaps.

20060518-18_d-0482-515h.jpgdbuggy2.jpg