Unexpected Reserves Help Please

impworks

I'm new to DropTeam. I'm having a bit of difficulty with the Unexpected Reserves scenario in the campaign. I've destroyed all of the opposition and taken control of the 3 targets yet my score is in the 2000ish range to the oppositions 5000 each time. I'm at a loss to what else I can do and have tried a wide variety of increasingly silly things to see if they increase my score. It's probably something really stupid I'm missing. Any suggestions would, at this point, be greafully accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi impworks.

I've had the same problem.

There are two possibilities that I can think may explain the scoring, although I haven't managed to figure out if either is correct.

The first one, is that the game expects you to remain in control of the objectives at all time through the game.

This means having a unit near each of them, and ensuring none of them get taken over by an enemy Cutter.

The second possibility is that you need to have captured all three objectives BEFORE the enemy dropships are released. In addition to this, you would also have to ensure that no Cutter gets close.

My guess is that it's the second possibility, but I have yet to succeed in capturing all the antimatter storage depots before the dropships come.

I have found that the southernmost depot is the easiest to recapture, as it has the most firing positions that overlook it. (If you put a unit on the other side of the bridge, the enemy tanks won't attack it for some reason, but it can pick them off quite easily.)

I can't imagine that the game will penalise the player for allowing one of the depots to be overrun, as it doesn't seem to be possible to survive if you try to remain in control of them all the time.

A far more likely scenario is that the enemy will try to capture the depots one at a time. Possibly sending out Cutters to capture the two other, while you try to drive them out of the one they have stormed.

The AI seem to be of limited use here, except as defensive units guarding the other depots.

I have also found that putting the Shrikes near the depot that you expect to be attacked first, will help cut down the number of enemies who make it to the ground in the first wave. (Extract them as soon as the enemy tanks start hitting the ground, as Shrikes are not very well armoured.)

Hope some of these thoughts help a bit.

I would also like to get past this part of the campaign. smile.gif

I managed to beat it. I don't want to give what I did away, in case others want to figure it out on their own..

Just capture the facilities using the cutter. As long as you hold all 3 (and none are taken back by enemy cutters-> You can see that on the TACMAP), you should be solidly in the lead. I managed it (granted, on easy) with about 8 - 10 minutes remaining.

• 6 months later...

I just purchased DropTeam after... oh... a year of debating! I enjoy the game, but I'm stuck on Unexpected Reserves. After several attempts, I can now capture all three depots in about 10 minutes. I use Shrikes to down most enemy dropships before they land, then pick off the rest of the enemies. With about 15 minutes left on the timer I'm awarded with 2000 points. Nothing happens for 15 minutes while I scour the map in a Shrike looking for enemies I missed. I fail the mission every time in spite of this, and it's getting frustrating not knowing what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help me?

---> Wireless Mouse