new suspension

poesel

After a little practice I tried a Paladin in an online game. I felt I could travel around at a decent clip, and _usually_ down the street I intended to drive down. I had no damaging crashes, no flips. While the steering seemed strange at times, it wasn't really a problem. The only thing I missed was better brakes.

That was the base suspension. Now I'm going to try poesel71's.

My initial response to the new suspension was "wow, this is cool"...which was shortly replaced by "wow, this is NOT very cool". Now, after several hours of use, I've got to say my opinion is starting to lean more towards my initial response. I've been a lot more reasonable in my use of the gas pedal, which has done wonders for cutting down on my flipped paladins. A real brake would be nice though.

One of the truly great things aoubt this game is the responsiveness of the Developers. I can't help but think some of the above concerns expressed by the others are going to be addressed in later updates.

What are the last lines in the log?

Last three lines:

COB: Found dds override texture >../data/Team1WoodlandIFVWheel.dds

COB: Loading texture >../data/Team1WoodlandIFVWheel.dds<

CRITICAL: The XML file is not valid

Removing the section for the new Shrike in the Inventory file prevents the game from crashing. The new Paladin shows up in the inventory. I re-copied the Shrike section from the "base" Inventory and the game still crashes.

The game runs fine if "Shrike.physisicalobjectgroup" is copied over the "Shikep" version.

A quick comparison between Shrike and Shrikep didn't turn up anything obviously wrong.

I played around with Paladins tonight online.

A big HEYA to everyone who put a 120mm round into me last night. And now I have an arch-enemy! You know who you are. smile.gif

I also got to learn about arty strikes, EMP strikes, and mines. All within 30 seconds of dropping into the game. :eek:

The Pal. moved great in "urban" terrain and in the desert canyon. I found the wooded/hilly maps killers. Not just the longish LOS, but lots of terrain features that were too small to give cover but big enough to cause movement problems. The traction seemed to be far lower than I expected.

Anyway, how the suspension felt to me depended more on the map than anything else.

I'm going to try some wood/hill maps with the "Tuned" suspension on the LAN and see what happens.

[ November 07, 2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

I found while testing the ApolloN with Posel that DT doesn't like loading model files from outside it's own directory (I.E- the base data folder).

So you can just make a copy of all the neccisary files (I.e- Turrets/Chassis/Guns, and corrisponding textures) and drop it into the mod folder.

It seems to happen more with smaller guns (I.E- Coaxial guns, or 10/20mm guns) so take a look in the offending .physicalobjectgroup file

I don't think the vehicles need to be more gamey. The 'old' paladins were more 'crisp' and hard to drive but after a while you could drive on two wheels with these things - on a keyboard!

The stunt driving on two wheels is over the top, I agree. I'm not calling for a revist to the old way; just trying to compensate for the harshness of the new. Any control input can be compensated for with practice. You can fly in the worst flight sims with enough user input compensation, but is that how you want it? I see two main problems with the current system.

</font>

• 1. Newbies will be scared off of wheeled vehicles because of bad interface and steep learning curve (remember your relearning how to drive with game experience firmly behind you)
    2. With the tempered speed and steering restrictions wheeled vehicles will become sitting ducks. Tarquelne said: "The Pal. moved great in "urban" terrain and in the desert canyon. I found the wooded/hilly maps killers." So in "open" terrian, known as tank country in warfare, wheeled vehicles do great. In the hills or woods, where you would expect lighter, more manuverable equipment, they have trouble. anyone else see the irony here?</font>

My initial response to the new suspension was "wow, this is cool"...which was shortly replaced by "wow, this is NOT very cool". Now, after several hours of use, I've got to say my opinion is starting to lean more towards my initial response. I've been a lot more reasonable in my use of the gas pedal, which has done wonders for cutting down on my flipped paladins. A real brake would be nice though.

A real brake would do wonders for wheeled vehicles. Some work with the input response on the accelerater, brake, and the speedometer that's been asked for, and wheeled vehicles will be about right.

I'm not downing the dev. team here. I think that they have done a great job with DT. But in the interest of the game I feel the wheeled drive experience needs to be revisited. I worry newbies will be scared off by the input (and we all want more players, right?) and that wheeled vehicles will become cannon fodder for the big guns at best, not used until armor is exhausted at worst.

Tarquelne, I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. The directory is just a zipped copy of my files and they work here.

Iceman, I have currently 10 mods in 10 directories with and without new model files and they ALL work (even the Ramses smile.gif ) - tested under OS X, Linux and Windows. I'm pretty sure that DT works correctly here.

One importatnt thing: you MUST restart DT after you changed the Mod type else things won't work!

So has ANYONE done a testdrive with those settings at all?

Hmm, I'm baffled how that typo got into it. Deleting the second to last character? Gamma rays probably... ;)

I've uploaded a fixed version.

Testing on Black Canyon worked good.

One thing to note: the wheels of the paladin punch again through the chassis. Whats that with Lo- and HighStop on the wheels not working? Bug?

Forsaken is a bit different. The paladin does quite well but the shrike is still flipping like hell. No much difference here.

The bots seemed to handle the new settings ok. I didn't experience flipping (tested with Dead Gulch).