1.2.1 Release...

ClaytoniousRex

...is now available via Update. You should be prompted to update automatically the next time you run DropTeam.

Changes in 1.2.1:

</font>

• Fixed a bug that was making armor penetrations inaccurate. Specifically, the angle of penetration was sometimes being calculated incorrectly since the 1.1.7 release. This led to rounds sometimes bouncing off the target when they should have penetrated.</font>
  • Sweeping improvements to the physics engine including correct densities and masses for units - try ramming a Thor with a Shrike now, for instance...</font>
  • Improved suspensions for wheeled vehicles</font>
  • Improved tracer and hit effects</font>
  • Optimized bandwidth used by voice chat</font>
  • Optional DDS loading to make scenario loading faster (see separate topic)</font>
  • We no longer torture you with the old "backloop" noise while loading a scenario</font>
  • Fixed bad colors in some of the tree models</font>
  • Infantry are now slightly harder for bots to notice (unless their jets are hot enough to appear on the sensor net, as usual)</font>

A wonderful, wonderful list of improvements. I was busy today, but I took a couple minutes for some free style driving earlier. The Tracers and the suspension are very nice.

The physics improvements sound very nice. Can't wait to see them in action.

Thanks for the info!

The tracers do a lot for the atmosphere. We played sea cliffs against the bots and had the base. Then Nexus came and made us pay for the neglect to fortify the defense. Sitting with some infantry in the middle of the base while all the turrets shot over my head was really like hell - nice! smile.gif

What you can do now with the changes in physics is to knock over turrets. Well, at least with a Thor.

And special thanks for the DDS feature. Thats 6 hours to fulfill a wish. ;)

Originally posted by poesel71:

The tracers do a lot for the atmosphere. We played sea cliffs against the bots and had the base.

I agree - the tracers really add to the feeling of mayhem. It also makes it easier to work out where the fire is coming from and that aids tracking down those pesky 20mmAP shooters :)

Originally posted by poesel71:

Then Nexus came and made us pay for the neglect to fortify the defense. Sitting with some infantry in the middle of the base while all the turrets shot over my head was really like hell - nice! smile.gif

Ah yes - the turret flood attacks. I like the way the command vehicle can be used to overwhelm an improperly defended area. I used to shun the command vehicle as a drop once, EMP and Fire attack and leave option. Now it can be extremely effective as a supporting role - on at least one of the Sunday games I was dropping turrets near enemy tanks as they engaged our own tanks. Even if the turrets were destroyed, it was often enough to turn the battle.

When using the command vehicle, how does one drop numerous turrets at once? I've never actually tried it, but I've noticed it done by some of the more devious players. Is there a specific command I should be aware of? I guess I could just check the command options, or someone could just tell me.

Originally posted by Junglist:

When using the command vehicle, how does one drop numerous turrets at once? I've never actually tried it, but I've noticed it done by some of the more devious players. Is there a specific command I should be aware of? I guess I could just check the command options, or someone could just tell me.

ctrl d

just keep hitting it, don´t have to wait for the pod to deploy. I dunno if this was originally in the game, but I also only learnt it the other day when Big Chief Wahoo dropped a million turrets on me smile.gif

Hey Clay,

Wow. I dunno what's responsible, given that it looks like 1.2.1 updates all of the code, but I can actually play this at 1280 x 854 with distance and terrain detail cranked all the way up, steering at half, and all options on except high-def rendering, at really excellent frame-rates on my 1.67 GHz Powerbook 15" with 128 M VRAM. This now plays the way I had hoped/expected it to when it was first released. Job very, very well done.

I'm now downloading the DDS textures since other Mac OS X players are raving about them. smile.gif

I'm also thrilled to see a nearly-full server this Sunday afternoon, and although I didn't help my side a bit when I joined, I had great fun apart from seeing lag of 125-166 ms, which may just be net conditions or may mean that with 12 people on your server, you need more CPU and/or bandwidth! :D

In any case, DropTeam continues to evolve wonderfully, and I'm having a great time with it. Thanks for all the excellent, hard work.

Unfortunately 1.21 has brought a degradation in overall performance in the game for me. Even after having dialed back some of my settings, the lag is often so bad that driving in anything but open terrain is a death sentence. It seems like the Windows users have suffered the most from this most recent patch. Hopefully this can be rectified soon.

It's not just a Windows problem, it's become completely unplayable on my Mac (jerky, time jumping in 15+ second intervals, screens take 5-10 seconds to change-it's a disaster). I've tried every adjustment I can think of, nothing works. Have the hardware requirements been vastly upgraded along with the game? Played fine at 1.1.6 (last version I used). What's to be done?

bj, if you can email me 3 files then I can look to see what the problem may be. The files I need are:

</font>

• Your system profile. Run the System Profiler utility and save it as a XML file.</font>
  • Your DropTeamSettings.dat file. It's in your home/Library/Application Support/DropTeam directory.</font>
  • The DropTeam.log from a game where the performance is bad (this is in your /Application/DropTeam directory).</font>

I wonder if these problems aren´t server side (either software or "traffic jam on the internet"). When I first played 121 I had no problems. Last sunday I had to quit after a hour or so, because it was totally unplayable. Yesterday I played in some games with 4 players and it was smooth. Then for no obvious reason it started to get choppy (there were actually fewer players online.

That's odd. Bjar, it plays better than normal now for me, on OS X 10.4. I noticed a definate speed improvement when I upgraded.

*edit* Though, and I don't know if this makes a difference, I did not upgrade to 1.19/1.20

[ October 31, 2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: IcemanUSA ]

• 3 weeks later...

Theres a small bug with the crosshair: the crosshair turns red when you aim at a point where the barrel can't turn to. This works horizontal but not vertical. You still can't shoot even if the crosshair stays green, though.

Since there are currently no vehicles with a horizontal limitation its not a big issue - but there will be! smile.gif