Sunday Bloody Sunday VS Black Sabbath

Junglist

I'm pretty sure Kim is referring to me.

Once again, I'm pretty sure, after having Kim lose it on me for messing with his hermes, that I promised to never touch his hermes during a game again...at least while on the same team.

Oh, you can pull just about anything on me and I don't mind one bit. I mean, maybe you were sacrificing those ewv's and thors in some kind of grand-master chess plan. That'd have been cool! ;-)

I'm usually pretty laid back about things, as long as you explain what you're doing in some sane way.

I wasn't pissed off so much by what you were doing as I was by your crazy explanations. :-P

Finally, I'm pretty sure that I was fairly drunk during the game in question, so I guess I can't be sure about that much after all.

OHHHH! THAT explains EVERYTHING. This story just gets funnier and funnier. ;-D

Dude. Here's the deal:

You can mess with any vehicles anyday, even on the same team. Just explain what you're doing in some logical, coherent way, and we're the best of friends (even if the logic turns out to be flawed after, at least we learn something).

And at least warn when you're drunk :-P

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Kim Bruning

Oh, you can pull just about anything on me and I don't mind one bit. I mean, maybe you were sacrificing those ewv's and thors in some kind of grand-master chess plan. That'd have been cool! ;-)

Yes, it would be, but that's chess. It certainly is possible to sacrifice a number of units for use in a diversion, but Thors and Hermes would not be the best units to do so. Remember, you only get 8 Hermes, and 8-10 Thors. If you were sacrificing units for a diversion, try Shrikes, Paladins, and one other unit, the Tempest. (The Tempest, because it has virtually no use outside of scouting, and any player would want a Paladin so they don't have to stand in one place for a long time.) Use the Hermes, Thors, and Apollos for the knockout blow while your opponent is distracted. Of course, I'm only speaking theoretically, because no one I know of has ever tried it and the closest thing I've seen to it is Jung's Paladin sweeps, which are another maneuver altogether.

;1097778']

Ions controlled by bots work fine, especially in large groups i.e all 4 ion thors. The weakness of the bots is their maneuvering, not their aim. When positioning is essential I sometimes drive to the intended position and lock the brakes. bots can´t unlock breaks :)

Just tell the bot to stop, and they'll actually do somewhat better (they keep their frontal armor pointed towards threats)

Anyway... to test your statement, I went out on the server today and played with 4 ion thors each time. It turns out that 4 ion thors under ai control are *easily* outperformed by 1 ion thor under human control, if only because the bots do not coordinate their fire.

*Two* ion thors under human control are much more effective than you'd suspect. Just keep aiming at the impact point/puff of smoke caused by the other human, and you can destroy even a thor relatively quickly. Since you're ablating armor twice as quickly, this also means that the target has less time to turn the target patch away from you. (so all the factors add up somewhat non-linearly)

Future trials:

I wonder what happens if you have 3 or more human controlled ion vehicles. I wonder if tempests become effective in that case.

Just tell the bot to stop, and they'll actually do somewhat better (they keep their frontal armor pointed towards threats)

Anyway... to test your statement, I went out on the server today and played with 4 ion thors each time. It turns out that 4 ion thors under ai control are *easily* outperformed by 1 ion thor under human control, if only because the bots do not coordinate their fire.

*Two* ion thors under human control are much more effective than you'd suspect. Just keep aiming at the impact point/puff of smoke caused by the other human, and you can destroy even a thor relatively quickly. Since you're ablating armor twice as quickly, this also means that the target has less time to turn the target patch away from you. (so all the factors add up somewhat non-linearly)

Future trials:

I wonder what happens if you have 3 or more human controlled ion vehicles. I wonder if tempests become effective in that case.

The secret to effective ion fire is to hit the same spot over and over again. With 4 bot ions as compared to 1 human ion, the bot ions make up for their lack of accuracy with sheer ion power.

With 2 human ions, you're right. The fire becomes far better because the armor is now being burned through at 2 time the original rate.

In your 3 ion/Tempest scenario, I suspect the Tempests still wouldn't be the best choice. Hovercraft are sensitive to terrain, meaning on Ice Field I can hit 200 m/s in a Hurricane. It can also mean making 50 m/s at best on most maps with the same vehicle. If there were 3 human controlled Tempests on our ion battery position at Dead Gulch today, the players would have to worry about plunging off the edge of the cliff if they got too focused on their targets. They would have to get close to the edge as they could because of their low profile, and lock brakes, possibly exposing themselves on the edge of the cliff to gunfire low enough to sneak past the ion tower. :eek: If you had 3 human controlled ion Thors there, you would dominate the battlefield, nothing that you could see would survive for more than a few seconds.

Finally, I remember something, the second-to-last time I saw a Tempest online was in February, when this newb named WingTips used it on a failed flag run on Haven. You should remember some of it Kim, because you were with him, against me and another player I've forgotten. The real last time I saw a Tempest online was in September, when I used it for scouting out Jung's forces while defending Raid, just for a change. I found out that it wasn't the best unit, given that everyone else could damage me at will. But I didn't get killed, and was able to extract it.

The secret to effective ion fire is to hit the same spot over and over again.

The same side is enough, according to Clay.

It turns out that 4 ion thors under ai control are *easily* outperformed by 1 ion thor under human control, if only because the bots do not coordinate their fire.

The coordinating is the trick (as we demonstrated this sunday :) ). My point was more that it´s better to give bots ions than conventional arms than bots are better than humans.

re: yesterday´s games. very nice, maybe one should play treachery 3 vs 1 defender since it is really quite easy to defend, though 152&Ithai, you would have been more edffective if you had used your EMP and artillery strikes (hint hint ;) )

So when are people playing? My kids are starting to sleep more, giving me some trigger time these days.

Anyone have an update about WWII or if DT is ever going to get the sci-fi makeover it really deserves?

Great to hear you've got trigger time now! Can't remember whether or not I ever battled you, but if you can make it Sunday at the usual time, we can make it too. jby, at least, since Jung's having another baby and is moving, but Jalinth is moving too, and will play as soon as he gets some real bandwidth. Last we heard of a WWII DT was June, when Clay leaked to me in an email that Battlefront was hard at work on it.

Hey all!

As some of you might have noticed, i was away for a month or so, and it's all thanks to the IDF which called me for a month long active reserve duty.

As some of you know my military proffesion is a tank gunner, so i practiced for the game in the Golan Hightes... all targets were hit! :)

Hope to get a game with you guys soon.

Oren_m.

Hey all!

As some of you might have noticed, i was away for a month or so, and it's all thanks to the IDF which called me for a month long active reserve duty.

As some of you know my military proffesion is a tank gunner, so i practiced for the game in the Golan Hightes... all targets were hit! :)

Hope to get a game with you guys soon.

Oren_m.

My aim isn't quite as good these days, but trigger time this Sunday at the usual time should get it back to normal. See you soon!

Junglist' date=' can we congratulate on the production of a new space cadet yet? :)[/quote']

Yes indeed you can jby; Erin Williams is now almost three weeks old.

Oh yeah, BTW 152, this is the first child for me. I guess I said something in the past that might have made you think I had kids, but that is not the case. Anyway, hope to see you guys today, but as I said, it isn't really up to me anymore whether or not I make it.