Wish List

Toby Haynes

I've put a wish list up in the DropTeam wiki. The idea here is to get the players to identify areas which would benefit from improvement, suggest new ideas, units, AI, graphical and audio improvements, etc.

There is also a column where you can add your name/moniker so that the developers can see how many people are interested in each potential feature.

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/Wish_List

This is not in any way binding on the developers of DropTeam - it is however hoped that it may help the developers prioritise future work :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone is regularly checking the wishlist. It may be a good idea to post new entries here.

So heres my wish:

Non-digging HE blasts - currently HEBlastDiameter is one parameter that defines the radius of the blast and the depth of the hole it makes. It would be nice if we could have a high frag radius without digging enormous holes = have one parameter each for depth and radius

Heres one for Grappler:

Arty bots should have a different strategy - currently they close on enemy targets like they had a 120mm. Worse is, that they continue shooting even when they are getting close and are hit by their own blasts. Knowing no friends they also shoot if a friendly is close to the target.

Originally posted by poesel71:

Heres one for Grappler:

Arty bots should have a different strategy - currently they close on enemy targets like they had a 120mm. Worse is, that they continue shooting even when they are getting close and are hit by their own blasts. Knowing no friends they also shoot if a friendly is close to the target.

I second this one for high priority. You should be able to put your indirect fire assets in hot and cold positions, and select the targets for them to engage. They should avoid closing on the targets and seek to pummel them with rounds. Ideally, it would be great if you could designate killboxes and the bots would automatically focus on those.

Additionally, the other vehicles should provide a forward observer capability to increase accuracy of the fires. I also want my ID fire assest to fire as volleys and not seperately. Get more bang for the buck that way and better chance of overwhelming point defenses.

I also miss the "incoming high velocity artillery round" sound that you hear when you've got incoming at the round is going over you.

Bots should cease fire or shift fire when friendly forces get within danger close (prob 400 meters for artillery/high caliber mortars, or at least prompt for a command to cease fire/continue to fire (the old Soviet method!).

I also want some mortar turrets for base defense, etc..

[ October 21, 2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Imperial Grunt ]

Another wish is for the water to act like water. No units should be able to fire underwater, unless they are mines or torpedoes. Got some basics physics here that needs to apply.

Additionally, how a 70 ton (plus) Thor or wheeled vehicle does not get bogged in a muddly river bottom or lake is beyond me. Maybe they have water wings.

Infantry should have some AT mines that they could slap on the sides of enemy armored vehicles that get caught in water.

Here are a few ideas that I got during the game today.

Improvement in how to call in Arty from people in a mortar track. The grid system helps, but you can not see it when in the ctrl-M map and you can not see Waypoints. If I could fire my Mortar from the Tac Map that would be handy.

How about if you are within a certain range of a Mercury (say LOS and 200 meters) you can access it's TacComp? So if I park my Thor beside a command track I will be able to see everything that an ally can see. That would be immensely useful.

Being able to get a reload infantry from a Drop Pod is great. The problem is that by the time you need it, the pod is normally quite a distance away. Even if you can get there without getting shot, it normally disappears before you can get a load.

I would like to be able to call in empty drop pods to reload infantry. Normally I don't want to waste one my deployables just to give an infantry squad a reload, and besides I can't call one in myself anyway. Dropping a pod with nothing but ammo would be very handy at times. There would have to be some limit to this, to prevent sending in 50 pods to overload the AA.

Another Drop Pod issue. I called in some pods to drop on top of buildings during the city fight today. The pods landed and just sat there, not unloading thier cargo.

[ October 22, 2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Jalinth ]

One thing I'd like to see is a rehandling of the Viper physics.

I like the way they are handled to fly. That way, only those who practice can actually fly them, (Like me :D ) which makes their skills all that more desirable, and adds an element of surprise when a unit flies over your head attached to a dropship. Since DS pilots are rare, chances are noone else has noticed this.

However, two things I'd like to see changed..

1- The 'jerk' when you grab something. If you aren't completely ready, you're going to go over. I think a smoother grab would be nice. (Or just have the cable have a bit more 'bend' to it, instead of trying to remain 90 degrees to the ship)

2- An elevation indicator. More often than not, it's a guess on how far above the terrain I'm trying to drop someone, or if I'm low enough to grab them, so a rough estimate of how far I am above the terrain would be nice, maybe only from the gunner view. (Then you just have to learn the length of the cable, which is practice)

A third thing I just remembered would be to have the ship stop responding to directions when in gunner view. I like to use it to see if my Dropzone is clear, but if I angle the view at all to get a better look, I go spinning away.

Imperial Grunt, I took the freedom to add your idea for the arty sound to the list.

Other new items:

- New bot command - take over and order the bot to stop the vehicle you just left

- Ability to exert certain commands to a bot currently under the crosshair - namely take over, stop, (new) take over & stop, extract and scuttle

Maybe, instead of all that gunner view stuff, just hold a key to set the Dropship to 'autopilot' where it stops responding to controls until you release the key. That way you are free to look around in both gunner view, and normal view, without spinning yourself 12 ways to sunday.

- Color the names in the status lines according to team - you don't always remember whos on your team or not, especially the bots. Would help much to get an idea if you are winning or loosing.

- The orientation of the vehicle after the drop should be the direction you last looked to - more often than not you will show your back to the enemy

- Be a bit smarter with the caching during scenario loads - on old machines the caching takes forever. Turning it off has the disadvantage that the game stutters in the early minutes. But players and their machines are mostly idle during the deployment phase. This time could be used for caching. Wouldn't help if you enter late in the game of course.

I have 'reduced' the collision wish to trees and rolling over.

Added a wish to get a sound if you collide with something (it would be perfect if we get DIFFERENT sounds depending on what we crash into but thats for later smile.gif )

And please: remove that 'can't change mod' bug thats been forever in the game. I can remember that thats been there since 0.9x!

Added this to the wish list: pls support this wish!

A chat window under the score board at the end of a battle. For backslapping, trading of insults, taunts etc. It would be open for a max of 2min or until everybody has pushed the continue button.

and I wrote a lil paragraph on turrets:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/Ground_Turret

• 2 weeks later...
having them appear in one blob does not make much tactical sense.
It makes sense to the bots.

What we need is a bot-training sub-game. Feed them, pet them, and coach them not to deploy incontinently.

Also:

Updated documentation.

[ November 15, 2006, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

When defending, I would like to set up all the bots before they automatically deploy on their own. Saves time and having them appear in one blob does not make much tactical sense.

Yeah, a sort of 2 min moratorium before the bots decide to drop whwre they want.

Additionally I think everybody, not only a designated commander, should have the possibility of "hold all bot drops".

A sound wish: for the vehicles make the motor sound refect the speed and/or the power output, and not make have motor sound (and always the same) that only plays when you press the forward button (and when, according to the developers, you ADD to the power applied).

Bertram