Back to the future!? WWII Mod in the Wings

Sivodsi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay.. did I ever mention you are freaking awesome?

I can just imagine.. reenacting historical WW2 battles... Battle of the Bulge, for example. Maybe try to rewrite history. See what it would be like if they had different commanders? I think it could be seriously cool!

Cheers clay!

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Aittam, it's 100% free for people who already own a retail copy of DropTeam prior to its release. So you already own it. smile.gif We're still evaluating how this will affect pricing *after* its release.

How did I miss this? This is awesome. I already think the game is worth every penny. Thanks! smile.gif

I do hope the team will reconsider about the infantry part in this ww2 scenario. Mixing infantry with tankwarfare has been proven to be very difficult. Gameplay seesm to suffer when combined: focussing on tanks or infantry seems to bring out the best in both.

I witnessed these difficulties with the game Red Orchestra. Gamedesign is way more difficult when you try to combine these 2 types of warfare in 1 gameplaymode.

Monk.

Gameplay seesm to suffer when combined: focussing on tanks or infantry seems to bring out the best in both.
And yet, deploying one without the other, especially on the highly sensor-active battlefield as presented in DropTeam, is not a tactically wise situation. The AFVs need someone who can invisibly peek over that ridge and who has a number of eyes in a larger arc to pick up similar infantry threats, and squishies need the firepower of the AFVs to "bring down the house" on their heavier targets.

Yep, that would be the ideal situation Alex.

Thing is: it almost never works in public servers. It will work with the right kind of players, but the ww2-version will pick up a lot of new players who will have other ideas about "teamwork".

Personally I think these 2 elements are totally different when it comes down to playing with them in a realistic way. "Tanking" is very different from playing as an infantry-grunt. In fact the current maps are way too big to make them interesting for infantry-warfare during ww2 on a realistic scale IMO.

The new mod would be interesting if it would focus on "tanking". Also focussing on infantry-battle would be a nice to-have, but I doubt the devs would have enough resources to give it the same depth like "tanking". If Clay tells us differently that's ok too of course ;)

I don't expect the WWII mod to focus on all the different infantry units with their weapons types, but infantry can still play a major role as aittam said.

I just played the "Hide and Seek" scenario. Infantry is really scary in that one (if you don't turn of foliage).

Thing is: it almost never works in public servers. It will work with the right kind of players, but the ww2-version will pick up a lot of new players who will have other ideas about "teamwork".
Well, I'm hoping that with the new ability to have Paladins act as IFV's for the squishies, we'll start seeing more two-player unit deployments, doing just as I suggested above. Plus, it shrinks the map a bit for the leg troops, which they need a lot.

You can turn off foliage, I have because leaving it on is a decent sized handicap. (One that I'm not good enough to spare.)

If there wasn't a gameplay penalty for having it on when no one else does, I'd leave it on.

----

The above was just a whine. I have no suggestions on how to fix it. Please pass the cheese.

I just bought DT. I have been playing the CM games since they came out. I don't have any interest in sci-fi, but this demo really shows the potential for an interesting WW2 mod. Even unmodded, this game has turned out to be great fun.

I also saw how involved the developer was, and how often new content was being added. That sold me on a genre I hadn't ever bought a game from.

I see some people here are suggesting that the mod be either infantry based, or tank based. Either/or will not really work. You absolutely need both to appeal to the people that will buy this game for the WW2 mod alone.

I'm eagerly awaiting some screens on the mod!

Originally posted by benpark:

You absolutely need both to appeal to the people that will buy this game for the WW2 mod alone.

I agree adding them both will appeal to more players, but it will deliver a less immersive gameplay IMO. Even less if it's meant to be realistic. Infantry-warfare is so very different from tank-warfare I am convinced that mixing them is a joke (at least for me).

For instance: BF2 has a mix, but both feel so unrealistic it's not my game. Red Orchestra also has both and still many compromises in mapdesign had to be made.

The fighting area for infantry is so small compared to tanks that mixing them will never work well with the current technology. Even less if playernumbers are still maxed out at 32. To prevent pixelhunting games have to be scaled down a bit and this will definitly hurt tank-warfare. So pleasing them both doesn't seem the right way if you like realism.

I'm always interested in games where they managed to do this well of course smile.gif

Monk.

The maps in DT are plenty big for tank warfare. I don't really get the FPS references. DT has a much different approach than either of those games.

The few times I have played DT, mostly have been infantry. Some control elements will need to be ammended regarding infantry transport in the mod. Things like mortars and crewed guns will be different. All in all, I thing this level of play supports both AFV's and infantry.

Without both, you are not seriously depicting any real battle from the period 1939-45. Even battles that are portrayed as "Tank" battles contained masses of infantry. If this particular version of DT:WW2 is on the Western Front, infantry is critical given the terrain. Without both inf/AFV/support weps, this will be an odd depiction of the time period.

• 4 months later...