AI tank turret facing

Taras

Playing the ice fortress map scenario in the campaign, I noticed two problematic things about bots. While doing a hull down fight against Thors, I noticed that bots would turn their turrets away from me *every* time they lost contact, even though there were no other targets. Much more problematic than that though, is that when I'd poke up to take a shot, some of them would fire on me instantly, even if that meant impossibly firing out of the sides or back of their own turrets.

I don't have a problem with the instant retaliation in this case. I'd expect that since I was using the same hull-down position repeatedly, but the turret facing should be consistent with it.

If it helps, the three-round bursts on the 20mm guns can be tricked into firing any direction, at least offline where the turning registers fast enough.

Fire first and whip the view into another direction, you'll get a few of the rounds to hit in places the turret couldn't possibly be aiming at in such a short timeframe.

I imagine the bot thing could be related, with the shot going where ever thier attention is directed.

Sort of fire first, aim second, but fast enough for the first round. I have seen this with bots online and off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this more and more. It's as if firing is locked until the barrel is pointed the right direction, but is unlocked once firing starts, with shots at all times going to the crosshair and not along the barrel orientation.

Bots appear to be able to circumvent this firing 'lock', or aren't constrained by it all. Players can as well, once a burst has started, and even with the ion graphical effects.